Bearded Dragon not able to swallow properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZackF

Hi, iv'e had one of my beardies for over a month now. He's about 13 weeks old. He normally eats mealies and refuses crickets, but he does like his lobsters. Recently, i found that he has been sleeping with his head upright. I have been letting him drink everyday and as much as he wants to but he doesn't seem to be able to swallow properly. He's getting abit skinny now, and has been refusing food. He has always been opening his mouth every now and then, looking as if he has breathing problems.

I do hope any of you out there can help me with my situation
Thanks
Zack

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
How long from nose to tail tip is your dragon? Smaller dragons (under 16inches) should not be fed meal worms. Also when young just stay away from the hard bodied feeders altogether stick with crickets or BSF larvae like Phoenix Worms or Reptiworms. Silk Worms are another good feeder for younger dragons.
Does he poop on a regular schedule? Is it at least once a day? What are his humidity levels?
Can we also get your enclosure details--
Substrate
Temperatures
Decor
UV Source
Is he given water in a dish or from a syringe? Do you bathe him?

ZackF

Original Poster
Problem is i'm from Malaysia and most soft bodied feeders such as Repti worms and silkies aren't available here. My dubias and my lobsters are still stablilzing so i can't exactly feed them yet. My lil guy is about 9.5" now. He doesn't poop once a day since last week. His humidity levels should be alright as he's kept semi outdoors.
Substrate details, i'm using newspaper, he has a 75ww lamp which is turned off in the day as it gets to more than 35 celcius in the afternoon here. He has 2 stones and just his food and water dish. And i'm using a custom made rack which is 18" high for each tank, his UV source is about 8" away from him. Yes i do bath him, every 2 days.

Thanks
Zack

ZackF

Original Poster
My lil guy still isn't eating, he's been lifting his head up everytime he sleeps and he opens his mouth often, as if he couldn't breath properly. His beard turned black as well. Normally that presents as a sick dragon i suppose. He's also grown thin, real thin as he doesn't eat. Hopefully someone has the right answers for me.

Thanks
Zack

ZackF

Original Poster
Will get some soon, he's housed in a 2 x 2 x 18 for now. Newspaper as a substrate, 10.0 UVB and a 75ww basking lamp. Sunbathed everyday, bathed twice a day. 1st time this has happened to me in keeping youngsters. Not sure what's wrong with him. '

Thanks
Zack

ZackF

Original Poster
It's something to do internally i'm sure, he's been crapping green poop. Iv'e already dewormed him.
I have fed him liquid multivitamins provided by my vet (Normally use this for the elder dragons before breeding), and he has trouble swallowing them. He keeps his head up often and opens his mouth once in awhile. He's showing a little bit of black beard and he's getting less and less active each day.

ZackF

Original Poster
Yeah, he seems to lose alot of fluids after he goes to the bathroom, so to make sure i bath him twice a day, and he drinks all the time.
Any ideas on what may be wrong with him? Anyone?

Zack

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
Possibly a mild throat infection? I am not totally sure. Was there blood work done at the Vet? You may have to request a blood test if there wasn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom