jaw problems!!??

Status
Not open for further replies.

lnb4life

i have had e-ki for a few months now, he is a15 month old male.

when i first had him i took him for a check up at the vets and everything was fine. his lower lip stook out slightly but the vet said it was nothing to worry about and to give him nutrabol 2-3 times a week..

i was flicking through my pics the other day and noticed that e-ki's jaw has got alot worse!!

im worried as i think im doing something wrong and dont want my lil man to suffer!!

HELP!!

lnb4life

Original Poster
IMG_0478.jpg
IMG_0470.jpg
IMG_0473.jpg
IMG_0472.jpg

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
That does look like Metabolic Bone Disease. Are you in the UK? Is Nutrobal the one that is a mix of vitamins and calcium?

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
Ok, that's what I thought. What I have heard of those is that it is impossible for them to get the right level of calcium without TOO much vitamins. Also, I've heard it is hard for them to process both at the same time. I would recommend you get a separate multivitamin and calcium supplement. He may need the stronger liquid calcium to help get this under control.

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
The reptiglo 10.0 could definitely be the problem. I would recommend the arcadia 12% if you can get your hands on it (it's available in the UK) or the reptiSUN 10.0. Either way, make sure it is a tube you are buying, not a coil or compact. Also, make sure your beardie can get within 6-8 inches of the bulb. If your bulb is on top of a screen, it can filter out a lot of the UVB.
MBD can be serious but if caught early and treated further progression can be stopped.

lnb4life

Original Poster
his uv strip is just fitted to the top of his viv, shall i move it? ill have a look in some of the pet shops. im a bit annoyed at the vet as i was using lime stone powder as well as the nutrobal and he told me to stop using it and now my little man is poorly :(

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, that is a bad case of metabolic bone disease. That is too bad. The Reptiglo 10 tube bulb is unfortunately not a very good light. It doesn't have the proper wavelength of UVB to induce D3 synthesis which further hinders the ability to absorb calcium properly. I am surprised that the vet did not prescribe liquid calcium!
The nutrabol is ok but to treat metabolic bone disease it does not provide enough calcium. You can try maybe the Miner-All or the Calypso calcium supplements. However, I would highly recommend trying to find some liquid calcium over there. You might be able to find T-rex bone aid possibly but I am not positive.
The Arcadia D3 12% tube bulb or the Reptisun 10 tube bulb, either one are pretty good. It will need to be placed 6-8 inches from him, with no screen in between him & the light. The screen will filter out a good amount of the UVB if you have a screen top that the light sits on.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom