bearded dragon is limp and stumbling

Status
Not open for further replies.

pasquel

hey im new to bearded dragons.. i got my first bearded dragon about a month ago at age 3 months and 2 weeks ago i got a new one at age 2 months.
today when i took them out for their daily handle i noticed that the older one was ok and fit but the younger one was running around in circle and stumbling like a drink person. he would often run and then fall over and swing his head from side to side as if he was watching a tennis match.. im very very worried. and dont know what to do i noticed this at 7 oclock at night so i couldnt take him to the vet.
heres some information i better get out of the way
i use a 5.0 exo terra uvb bulb and a 40 watt light bulb at about 20 cm range but they can get closer. desert sand substrate and i feed calcium dusted crickets but ive fed them mealworms once about 5 days ago. they eat a lot of buk choy and carrot and i bathe them both once a day in luke warm water.

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
Hey,
1st lets fix your UV situation. The 5.0 isnt enough. Switch to a reptisun 10.0
For diet. go here http://www.beautifuldrgons.com
If you house them in the same tank seperate them and they will both thrive.
Now for the back and forth head. It could be an ear infection, a vet can check that out and a mild antibiotic for 2 weeks will set him straight.

pasquel

Original Poster
the breeder that sold me the dragons has over 30 years experience on reptiles and as i was going through the preperation for the reptile and i built the tank myself i kept him updated and asked for advice along the way. when it was finished all i needed was the lights and he strongly recomended a 5.0 uv globe and when i bought it from the pet store they had no objections to this.

as for the head "shaking" what makes you think it was an ear infection (not that i dont respect your knowledge or opinion)?? i was just thinking (if it were a human) it looks more like a sight issue or an act of paranoia or maybee even a balance plroblem

MissT

BD.org Addict
pasquel":26299c71 said:
the breeder that sold me the dragons has over 30 years experience on reptiles and as i was going through the preperation for the reptile and i built the tank myself i kept him updated and asked for advice along the way. when it was finished all i needed was the lights and he strongly recomended a 5.0 uv globe and when i bought it from the pet store they had no objections to this.

Take a look at this site www.uvguide.co.uk - it gives super information on UV lighting. A 5.0 really isnt strong enough for a beardie and could well be causing a problem for your little guy. Pet stores wont disagree - they are getting a sale!! Repti-glos are also not great bulbs and can cause eye issues (especially the coil/compact versions - the website I just mentioned has studies based on these bulbs).

pasquel":26299c71 said:
as for the head "shaking" what makes you think it was an ear infection (not that i dont respect your knowledge or opinion)?? i was just thinking (if it were a human) it looks more like a sight issue or an act of paranoia or maybee even a balance plroblem

In animals, ear infections can cause balance issues and what looks like neurological issues. I had a rabbit that walked in circles for a week due to an ear infection!

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
you asked for opininions on your situation. I gave you mine.
I dont need to argue it or defend it.
Knock on wood my dragons are healthy.
Good luck and I hope you figure it out fast.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The shaking of the head back & forth is a classic sign of metabolic bone disease. A reason for this is lack of neuromuscular control due to inadequate calcium absorption into the muscles & nervous system. The Reptiglo 5 has basically zero UVB emissions which over time, especially in growing dragons, hinders calcium absorption uptake as well as diminishes the chances of D3 synthesis because they need UVB exposure in order for this chemical process to take place.
So, the lack of muscular control is simply uncontrollable because of neuron firing or lack thereof. The balance issues stem from the inability of the muscles to coordinate properly because of neuron firing.
Please do consider getting a Reptisun 10 tube bulb at the very least. Babies need calcium 5 times per week, as well.

Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

pasquel

Original Poster
i took him to the vet today and he said its a mild issue relating to his eyes.. the uv light seems to be bothering him and also he recommended i get a new enclosure for him because he does not recommend glass tanks because it reflects the uv rays and bothers him.. he soaked him in warm water with glucose to give him some energy and force fed him some crickets. he seems to be getting better but hes not back to normal yet.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How did the vet determine that the UVB was bothering your dragon's eyes? I really don't agree with that. The Reptiglo 5 is a very weak UVB light so there really is not any way that it could be bothering his eyes. People use glass tanks all of the time with UVB's & don't have eye problems. So, that diagnosis does not bear any weight, to be honest. If you were using a UVB that was known to cause eye issues, then that would be a different story.
As long as bright white light is used, in combination with any UVB is always recommended to protect the eyes.
Did he do any x-rays or blood test to determine calcium levels at all?
Unless you get a UVB light that is stronger, he most likely is not going to improve a whole lot. I am sorry to say that but we have just seen too many cases like this.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom