Kazi - RIP my special Wee monkey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissT

BD.org Addict
Kazi has been having trouble pooping for about 6 months now - the longest period we have waited for a poop is 5 weeks (altho he was eating very little at the time) he has had several fecals since July and all came back clear. Last night, at around 11pm, Kazi was awake and looked as tho he was straining to poop. He had a black beard and the end of his tail was black and he was pushing his back legs up as tall as he could. My fiance gave him a bath and, after a few minutes he pooped and then he began to calm down - black beard gone and his tail lightened.

I jsut got home from work and felt his tummy and I think there is some more poop in there. He is black bearding today but I think thats due to the female above him digging (shes gravid). However, from about half way down his tail, it is darker, not quite black but a dark greyish colour.

Any advice guys? Our vet doesnt work weekends so it could be the middle of next week before I can get an appointment...

Thanks

T

Gail

BD.org Addict
What are you feeding? Is he digesting everything ok? I'd try olive oil and some apple baby food to help him move stuff along.

MissT

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
He gets locusts as a staple - they are all he will eat and he digests them fine. His digestion just doesnt seem as quick as it should be. Over the last few months we have tried everything... baby food diet, olive oil, apple sauce etc etc... usually we give him a slice of apple with dipped in olive oil about once every 10 days and that results in a poop pretty quickly... this time I didnt give him any apple so he did go on his own but its the tail and black beard that are concerning me... I put the darkness of his tail down to pain/distress from trying to pass the poop last night but I dont know why its dark today!!

Gail

BD.org Addict
Poor baby, I could only guess that the continued dark tail is from still being in discomfort. Did you ever ask the vet what could be causing constant constipation?

MissT

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
The vet was as baffled as us!!!

He started doing a choking like motion with a hiss at the end about 7pm. We rushed him to the out of hours vet but they were useless. His eyes are sunken in and the water stores on his head are completely flat. We think hes dying... its bed time now and we are just hoping he makes it through the night.

Pray for my little Kazi-monster guys.... I really dont know if I could cope with this all over again this year!!!

Thanks

T

puppytoes72

BD.org Sicko
Omg MissT,I wish there was something I could do to help :( I hope you can get him to your regular vet soon.maybe they can find out something on an x-ray or ultrasound.
The coughing/hissing could possibly mean an RI??
I was doing some research last night on constipation (I know,I need a life :wink: )because Jojo is irregular too.I read that cutting back on the calcium a little may help,and milk thistle(if you can find it) helps the liver which in turn helps hydration.
Plz keep us posted and I will pray for Kazi ((((hugs))))

Jiffy

BD.org Addict
OH no MissT. I really hope that Kazi man is ok.
Please keep us updated, and I will keep you and Kazi and the rest of your family in my prayers.

MissT

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Well its 12.30 now. Hes been in bed for 3 hours and he really isnt sleeping... everytime I check on him he jumps. He hasnt put his head down at all or wriggled into his sleeping position. I took the hot water bottle out - if hes dehydrated then I dont think that extra heat will do him any good. Hes still as black as can be tho.... His beard, shoulders, down his chest and the whole bottom half of his tail... I just hope he makes it through. I spent the last of my wages on the emergency vet but im going to try and figure something out and if he makes it through the night, I will try to get him to the zoo vet tomoro morning if he will see him... Im sitting here crying, I feel so helpless - I just wish there was something I could do for my little monster!! :'(

Thank you for all the prayers guys!!

T

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about Kazi............I'm going through the same thing with Ollie......he's pooping but is very black and has been for a long time......Last night was the first time I noticed his eyes sucken :cry: .......enough of my problems,.............. Please know that I'm praying for you and Kazi...

((((HUGS))))

MissT

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Thank you for your thoughts and prayers Gail, Jennifer, Michelle, Sandi and Beardie Osk...

Beardie Osk, I do hope Ollie is ok!! Its so upsetting being so helpless when they are not being themselves!!

Kazi made it through the night. He got up with no black beard or tail!! His eyes were not so sunken this morning and the dip in his water stores seemed to have decreased - they were more just flat than sunken. I got up early this morning and called our old vet (the one that never makes it to appointments) and his father - ex-zoo vet was on duty so I got him in there this morning. The vet had such a confident way about him that even Kazi was much more relaxed than I have ever seen him in the vet. His beard and tail had darkened when we got to the vets. Anyway, he says Kazi had great body condition and, he believes the black tail and beard are being caused by discomfort, caused by his poop on Thursday night. He gave Kazi a dose of critical care and we are to continue that 3x per day. He says that should get his bowels moving again and, if he does not poop in the next 5 days to bring him back in for an x-ray. When he does poop, he gave me a little sterile container and said to drop it over asap. He also said we need to bath him in reptoboost 3x per day, up to his shoulders, for 10 mins each time.

When I got home, his black beard and tail disappeared. But, when I put him in the bath, the darkness returned to both his tail and beard - is the bath making him uncomfortable? I just hope he starts to improve soon! Poor Kazi!

Thanks again guys!

T

MissT

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Sorry for posting again, but I suddenly became concerned about the critical care dosage. The vet said to mix a quarter teaspoon of the powder with 5ml of water - he said to make this mixture up 3 times per day to feed him. That makes 15 ml. Does that seem like a lot? Hes approx 700g.

Edit - its the Vetark critical care (UK) rather than the Flukers.

Thanks

T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom