PowerSun Mercury Vapor Bulb Research Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello All,

If anyone has had their bearded dragon under a new Powersun 100 or 160 watt & has had recent health or eye problems or complications, that you believed to have been caused by this MVB, please contact me. Frances would like for willing participants/volunteers to send her their Powersun so she can test them please. It would really help out. Here is a recent thread answering some concerns of mine on the UVB discussion board:

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/UVB_Meter_Owners/message/6614

Here is the initial earlier report by Frances Baines regarding the initial detection of the problems:

http://www.uvguide.co.uk/mercvapourfloods.htm#zoomedpowersun

How can you help? There are a couple of ways that you can help us. This is requested directly from Frances Baines:

"They can help in two ways.
Firstly, they can keep a diary of exactly what happened to their beardie,
with dates and details like what lamp they bought, how far above their
beardie's head it was placed, how soon they saw symptoms, what symptoms
there were.... and how long the beardie was exposed to the lamp before they
turned it off, and how the recovery progressed. All their posts on the forum
are useful, too, in this respect..
Photos of the set-up that caused the problem - showing the lamp - are really
helpful, as are the tragic pictures of the beardie with his eyes closed in
pain. I'll need to email them privately to get their written permission to
use their material, and to send them a copy of the Case Report I'll prepare,
so they can check it out and okay it.

Secondly, they can send me the lamp. It does cost maybe $15 - 20 sent by
regular USPS Airmail (by far the best way, in terms of time, money and
care - couriers are horrendously expensive and very rough with the parcels)
so not everyone will want to spend that... but I really do need at least one
BAD lamp that's caused a problem, to prove that the output from these is
hazardous. If people want to send me a lamp, again I'll need to email them
privately, to give them my address and instructions on how best to pack and
post the lamp to me."

Thank you for your assistance.

Tracie

chancellor91

Juvie Member
hi francies? it i read name correctly, i have a powersun 160 watt, and my beardie alona was under it for about 2 or 3 months almost, and her eyes seemed to be closed a lot and just wasnt nearly as springy as she is now under her reptisun 10.0 tube and 60watt indoor halogen for basking? i am going to check if i can get the funds to ship my bulb to you, remind you im 17 with no job, so ill be asking my mother, and would like to get in touch with this more, please pm me and we will chat more thanks

chancellor

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Hi Tracie!

Okay if you remember we talked about the PowerSun last year when I was certain that it had something to do with Juniors death. Well we have noticed in the past few day that Bender(no relations to Junior)(only thing incommon is they both used the PowerSun) is laying around eyes not fully open it greatly reminded us of Junior and how he looked an acted in the beginning of his end. I'm this morning changing him to a larger viv with a different bulb not a PowerSun. I'm going to read up on those links you posted....then I will send you a PM as I'd like to donate this bulb which was placed on Bender's viv brand new on 2/24/09 just incase it is the bulb. It just doesn't seem right to me the color is not so bright it's pinkish and dingy. Bender my little smiley guy isn't basking or smiling. :cry: So neither am I. :cry:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Hello Barbara,

OH sorry to hear that. What light did you change to now, & you have taken the Powersun out? Since you recently purchased this bulb then it is most likely the bad bulb then unfortunately.
I appreciate you helping out & donating the bulb to Frances. When you are ready, I will send you her email address so you can get in touch with her.
If you could just briefly answer the questions in the initial portion of this thread as to how close the light was from the head, how long the bulb was used, etc. Just to help us out for data compilation, thanks & just put it on another response in this thread.

Tracie

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Not a problem Tracie!
Bender was in a 37gal long viv with the 100watt PowerSun all the way to one end at about 14 to 15 inches above the basking spot on a 12 to 14 hour daylight time during this time.( I replace all my bulbs between 6 and 8 months and this bulb was installed on 2/24/09) Also I don't use screens lids. I know that normally a MVB is not recommended for under a 40gal breeder but I was still needing to add an additional light to get the proper temps. (I use a infrared temp gun for measuring temps) I have noticed that the PowerSun does not put out the same amount of heat as other MVB's or at least not as much as the Exo-terra Solar-Glo. His basking temps with the 100watt were barely reaching 102* to 105* with the extra bulb on hot days. And his cool end is normally 72* to 77*. But for the last several days he has been laying down at the bottom of his viv. His eyes are not swelling or watering they just don't look big. You know not bright eyed more like he looks sleepy all of the time...which is not normal for him. We moved him today to a 40gal breeder with the Exo-terra Solar-Glo 125watt...he was one ticked off little man but I must say that I almost immediately noticed a change in his demeanor. He instantly wanted to eat his salad which for a few days now he has barely touched. He was up high on all fours not laying low with his little nose down on the ground.

I do have a question for you. I have been using the Exo-terra Solar-Glo 125watt with all of my other beardies for a few years now. I don't notice much being said about this particular bulb. Do you have any information on it? If you do you can post it or PM me anytime with it I'd be so greatful?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Hello Barbara,

Well, that is excellent that he improved when you moved him into the other tank with the Solar Glo. At least he seems to be feeling better then, that is great news! :blob8:
Based on the testing results from Frances, the Hagen Exoterra Solar Glo 125watt has approximately 105uWcm2 at 12-14 inches. The decay rate was fairly low so I would recommend replacing it around 8-10 months, it should hold out about that long. I have not heard any bad reviews on the light so right now, I recommend it.

Let me know how things are going.

Tracie

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Good Morning Tracie!

Thank-you so much for the information on the Solar-Glo....I'm much relieved to here that news. Wheew!
I would have been shocked if you'd have given bad report on them. :shock: As I've been really pleased with that bulb as far as how well my beardies do under it. An I have only ever had to return one of them....because the threads were damaged. I do change all bulbs by the time they are 8 months if not sooner. I don't have my own UVB tester and I feel better safe than sorry. An a bonus is the Solar-Glo has a reasonable price tag on them for someone that has to buy several bulbs each year.

Okay a little update on Bender:

Bender within 15 minutes in his new set-up was up jumping and running around. He within 20 minutes of being in new set-up hammered I mean attacked...killed his salad like he hadn't eating in days...then went as high up on his basking spot as he could get to pancake out and happily bask with eyes wide open. Oh what a beautiful sight! :D Bender is smiling again an I couldn't be any happier than I am today. So I really, really, really want to say, "Thank-you Again!" If you would not have posted this thread it may have taken longer for it to register in my mind the symptoms Bender was having.

However for anyone that may decide to use a Exo-terra Solar-Glo I do suggest close monitoring of temps as they are hotter than the PowerSun.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Hello Barbara,

You are welcome. :D Surprisingly, the Solar Glo MVB is performing pretty well. Thus far, there have not been any negative reports on it, so, unless they change their phosphor coating, there probably wont be. They are a decently priced MVB too.

That is really wonderful news Bender is doing that much better so quickly! He sure was hiding his face with being underneath of the Powersun. That is too bad. At least you caught it though, before he really started having some major problems. His eyes are wide open now too, that is great! :blob5:

Let me know what Frances says once she gets back with you. Thanks.

Tracie

kobi

O M G!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :evil: :blob5: :banghead: Ok so Kobi has a mite attack right now and having treatment to get rid of the little bloodsucking cling ons BUT...... :angry5: after reading your reviews and concerns about the bulb it all makes sense!!!!!
My little guy has been so unexpectedly sick and me too with worry :cry: .The winking,drooping eyes, no poops,off food,constant hiding and sleeping the lack of interest and response all began when my old 100w powersun was replaced a month or two ago the vet said the mites have probably been around for awhile so this didnt tally up to me as to how he he could get so seriously sick!! Now i have questions about wether the bulb my have increased the spread rate of the mites? i bath Kobi every 3 days, blitz his viv replace decor and substrate every 4 weeks, hes 7 months old and so much loved ive been beside myself as to how and what's been doing this??? Its 3:30am my time London I am a single parent of an autistic child who i am sole carer for and dont get much time for anything during daytime hours and its taken me this...use of the little sleeptime i so need to maybe have a chance to help my little guy. when Kobi was a baby i signed myself up with your site and felt so safe in the knowledge all my fears,worries,questions and fun could be shared, discussed and answered by everyone who cared for their beadies like i do, i even took pleasure in sending pics of Kobi to the photo page :D ! Once again i have found a possible answer to my :banghead: within your site. I unfortunatly wont be sending my bulb to you due to lack of funds for shipping and cost to replace but i certainly will not be turning it back on again!!! well lets hope uh :?: things will get better! i will let you know as soon as i do. THANKS :notworthy: so very much for all and this chance.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Hello,

Well, I hope that turning the Powersun 100 watt bulb off improves his health alot!
How close did you have the light to him?
I am not sure whether or not it would expedite the spread of the mites, but it certainly has been causing alot of eye problems & poor appetite & behavior troubles, as well.
What type of substrate are you using? If it is a loose substrate you will need to take it out & replace it with paper towels or tiles to fully get rid of the mites. Any pieces of wood that mites can hide in needs to be taken out, washed in hot water then baked in the oven for around 30-40 minutes at around 250 or so. That along with the bathing should get rid of them.
I would give extra oral fluids too, & try to find some bee pollen to help with his immune system, also.
Yeah, too bad you cannot send Frances your light.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

protiemama

Gray-bearded Member
Tracie-Have there been any probs with Mega-rays? I ask because my new little ones won't sit and bask at all now and they keep their eyes closed a lot. when I take them out they put on happy colors and open their eyes. They only eat babyfood and Janice (Tatty) said they were eating salad and pellets and live feeders.
The bulb is very level, about 18"-20" inches from the main basking site. The temp there stays around 104-106. Cool side around 78-80 ish. It is a new bulb, used only a month before Bogie ran off. He didn't seem to like it either, but he was hormonal, so I put it off on that. But, the things I'm reading sound like my babies. Should I call the company or could it just be relocation stress after 3 weeks?

Sandy H

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Hello Sandy,

OH that is ODD! I have not heard of that ever. Did you get them straight from Bob at Reptile uv, or from a distributor?
Is this a 100 watt or a 160 watt?
Personally, I would call Bob, go straight to the source. I have been using the Megarays for years now & have not had a single problem.

I highly doubt it is still relocation stress at this time, no. They shouldn't be closing their eyes alot though, not like that. They are not eating as much as they should be, for their age. Have you tried putting them back underneath the Reptisun 10 with a basking light to see if they like that better?

Tracie

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Hey Tracie!

Thought I'd let you know that Frances got the bulb I sent her...all in one piece. :D I'm just waiting to hear back from her now.

BTW...for me to ship it to her in the UK it was under $15 from California....so if anyone does have a 100watt PowerSun that they believe is faulty please help with the research to get this straightened out.

protiemama

Gray-bearded Member
Tracie- I'll call in the AM. Thanks. Yes I thought it odd, too. I have only heard good about the Mega ray.
Do you ever sleep? I AM going to bed now. Daniel will be up far too early tomorrow, er..today.

G'nite all
Sandy H

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Hello Sandy,

Well, I don't sleep as much as I probably should. My mind is always going. :?
Did you call Bob today? If so, what were his comment?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom