How long can Dragon go without UVB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calvin546

Hey, I was using ReptiGlo 10.0 which I now know is bad. So I ordered a ReptiSun 10.0 :D. I shut my ReptiGlo off, so he wont be getting any UVB untill the ReptSun arrives. How long can my bearded dragon go without a UVB source?
How close can my beardie get near the ReptiSun 10.0 without being harmed?

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Calvin546":b3ccf said:
Hey, I was using ReptiGlo 10.0 which I now know is bad. So I ordered a ReptiSun 10.0 :D. I shut my ReptiGlo off, so he wont be getting any UVB untill the ReptSun arrives. How long can my bearded dragon go without a UVB source?

If your ReptiSun is already on the way, I wouldn't worry about it. Dragons can go for days, a week and even a little more without UVB, and be just fine. Just keep the basking light burning, keep him hydrated, and offer food as usual. Don't be too concerned if the appetite wanes a bit, as it may due to the lack of UVB. When the ReptiSun comes, plop it in and give him a few days to catch up. That said, when we swapped our compact out for a ReptiSun, we saw a difference in our dragon within HOURS, more energy and the appetite started growing within a day or two, incrementally speaking that is. We had the UVB off for about a week, better NO UVB than poor UVB. :)

Best to you!
Em

Calvin546

Original Poster
Okay. That sure takes some stress off my back. But the reptisun hasnt shipped yet because I just ordered it today. Would my beardie live maybe 2 weeks without a UVB?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

No worries. :D As long as you have a bright white light for his basking he will fine. I can't put an exact time factor on it, but he would be fine for several weeks, without UVB. We don't recommend it all of the time when they are young because they are growing, but, I understand the dilema.
Great that you have the Reptisun 10 flourescent tube bulb ordered.

Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

No problem, he will be fine. I am glad that you got the better light ordered already. :D

Tracie

fkalb

Hatchling Member
hey there, dont want to hijack your thread but i have some questions regarding this aswell. Thor is about 1 month a half maybe 2 old. Im currently waiting for the reptisun to get in aswell, finally found a pet store who can order one in for me. Im using a reptiglo 10.0 cfl aswell. Im still hesitant as to turning it off for that long just because i dont know exactly how long its gonna take to arrive and hes still so young and growing.. What about turning it off for a few hours a day?

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Calvin546":16bd4 said:
Also, how close can my beardie get near a ReptiSun 10.0 without getting harmed?

Ideally, beardie can get to within 6-8 inches of the tube (but no closer) at basking area. You'll want to align the tube and basking bulb as follows:

__________ tube
0 basking bulb

...so that beardie has benefit of both bulbs while basking, for optimum UVB exposure, and D3 synthesis/calcium processing. Also, the bright white light from the basking bulb will guard beardie's eyes from the UVB rays. 8)

The best,
Em

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Calvin546":71964 said:
Also, how close can my beardie get near a ReptiSun 10.0 without getting harmed?
From the Repti-Sun 10.0 fluorescent, he should be 6 to 8" from it and it should be placed right alongside a bright white basking bulb so he can get the benefit of both bulbs at the same time.

fkalb":71964 said:
hey there, dont want to hijack your thread but i have some questions regarding this aswell. Thor is about 1 month a half maybe 2 old. Im currently waiting for the reptisun to get in aswell, finally found a pet store who can order one in for me. Im using a reptiglo 10.0 cfl aswell. Im still hesitant as to turning it off for that long just because i dont know exactly how long its gonna take to arrive and hes still so young and growing.. What about turning it off for a few hours a day?
I'm going to answer this here, but from now on, please start your own thread so that yours can get the attention it needs and the original poster can get help on his original thread. If your Repti-Glo 10.0 is a fluorescent bulb, you can continue to use it for your baby AS LONG AS it is placed right alongside a bright white basking bulb AND is no closer than 10" away from him. But, if you notice any lethargy and/or eye discomfort by him closing his eyes frequently, please turn it off right away as those are the main issues associated with that bulb.

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
diamc":d8c52 said:
Sorry Em, we were posting at the same time.

:wink:

Good that we were... you caught fkalb's question and I completely missed it. :eek:

Em

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom