I need help! Whats happening?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonFire12000

Hatchling Member
Um, my beardie is a male named Jake and he is about a foot to 14 inches long. He has been very lethargic lately and he has been loosing a lot of weight and isn't eating very much. He is about 9 months old. He runs into walls a lot and when he is on my arm he likes to try and run off, like he doesn't see that its the end of my arm (luckily I have caught him every time he has tried.) He eats maybe 10-12 large crickets a day, refuses to eat his greens, but LOVES baby food and wax worms. He'll eat about 12-15 wax worms in a sitting and will eat a lot of baby food. I have lost a beardie before, and don't want to go back. He DOES have a UVB light, but my other didn't. He is showing the same signs now, besides the running into random things and running off my arm. My old beardie, Mushu, had bone disease, and lack of a UVB source and calcium deficiency. Mushu lost a lot of weight, started closing his eyes more, and was very lethargic. He poops regularly (it smells HORRIBLE!) and sheds a lot more than Mushu ever did. Since I've had him (three months) he has shed 3 times, but Mushu only shed once in the 4 months I had him. Right now he's cuddled up next to my pudding container right next to me (he had run into that too and decided that he was comfy enough to take a nap)

Please guys, I need help.

ErinMeetsMachine

Sub-Adult Member
I would get to the vet with some poo for a fecal test. Sounds like he might have coccidia/pinworms. It's easy to deal with. I'd just get it done soon.

DragonFire12000

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thx. I'm trying to get my dad to budge. Money is tight right now, moved into a new house. I just can't loose another beardie :cry:

ErinMeetsMachine

Sub-Adult Member
I understand. Fortunately, a fecal test is the least expensive vet visit you can do and gives a lot of insight in your beardies health. It usually costs around $20.

DragonFire12000

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ErinMeetsMachine":e8687 said:
I understand. Fortunately, a fecal test is the least expensive vet visit you can do and gives a lot of insight in your beardies health. It usually costs around $20.
Thats cool... I'll tell my dad... maybe we can go when he gets home from work because I just earned 20 bucks for baby sitting...

Elora

Sub-Adult Member
Hello will you answer some of these questing so we can see if its husbandry or if its something else?
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in?
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank?
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)?
How close can your dragon get to the UVB?
What are the basking temps?
What is the cool side temp?
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun?
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc?
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them?
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)?
Do you bath your dragon? How often?

DragonFire12000

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Elora":e52be said:
Hello will you answer some of these questing so we can see if its husbandry or if its something else?
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in? 75 gallon tank
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank? slate tiles
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)? Heat lamp: Normal 40 watt. UVB: I use a Zilla brand
How close can your dragon get to the UVB? about 6 inches away
What are the basking temps? 75-90
What is the cool side temp? 70-80
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun? wire and probe
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc?yes
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them? yes I use T-Rex calcium dragon dust. It's supposed to supply calcium and minerals. I use it every other day
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)? yes
Do you bath your dragon? How often? yes. every day

Elora

Sub-Adult Member
First off it sounds like your basking temps are way too low. There should be an area of his tank that is steadily around 105 degrees. Its very important that they can bask in this heat to help digestion. Ive been studying for my chemistry exam for 3 hours so I cant offer more that that at this time :cry: my brain is fried :book:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom