swollen eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilchevy

i have a 7 month old bearie and his eyes are swollen. he cant open them and he cant see. he hasnt eaten in 2 days couse of it. does anyone know what the problem can be? i dont have a vet where i live that know anything about reptiles and im really worried. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!

Freeie

Extreme Poster
Could you please answer these questions it will help us help you.

How old is your dragon?
How long have you had your dragon?
How long is your dragon?
What is the sex of your dragon?
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in?
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank?
Do you use UVB lights?
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb?
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)?
How old is your UVB bulb?
How close can your dragon get to the UVB?
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage?
What are the basking temps?
What is the cool side temp?
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun?
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps?
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad?
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific.
How often do you feed?
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc?
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them?
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)?.
Do you bath your dragon? How often?
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath?
Is your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon?
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done?

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
What type of UVB do you have? If you have one of those compact or coil uvb bulbs, that's probably the problem as what is happening to your beardie is one of the symptoms.

If you do have one of the compact and coils, turn it off and get a reptisun 10 tube. If you have a 40 breeder tank or larger, you can use a mega ray or t-rex, these are mercury vapor bulbs and give off heat and uvb. The 100 watt of these must be at least 12 inches from the basking spot.

Lori

lilchevy

Original Poster
hes 7 months old
have had him 6 months
hes 14in long
hes a boy
hes in a 60gal long tank
we use sand
yes we use uvb lights
we use a 3 lite set up. 2 during the day and 1 at night. one of the day ones is a coil zila 20w desert 50 and the other is a basking light and it is an "all liveing things" 120v 150w bulb. not sure what kind its about 4in across and almost flat on the frunt side. looks kinda like a cone. the night light doesnt have any markings on it but it looks like a basic black light
they're about 2months old but they are the same kind of bulbs we have used the whole time we have had him
he can get as close as 4in from the basking light. the botom of the tank is about 15in from the light
the basking temp is 110
te cool side is 85
we have a stick on thermometer on the baking side of the tank. its half way between the top and bottom of the tank
no heat rock or pad just lights
we feed him kale, musterd greens, turnip greens, and carrots, and sometimes strawberrys, he also gets this reptomin stuff, that stuff he gets daily. every other day he gets crickets with calcium dust. sometimes he gets mealworms, and once a month he gets a pinky mouse. we also got him some goliath worms a cupple weeks ago.
we feed the crickets fruit
yes he has regular bowel movements
dont really bath him
he has a big water dish in his tank
he is alone in the tank
no vet trying to find one that knows about reptiles
in addition we clean his tank at lest once normaly twice a week and clean his water every other day

lilchevy

Original Poster
no not hotter then any other day. its been like this for about 3 days and getting worse from what i can tell. the herpetologist at the pet store that i got him from is trying to track down a vet for me but not haveing much luck

shimmeriing

Hatchling Member
lilchevy":7f98f said:
we use a 3 lite set up. 2 during the day and 1 at night. one of the day ones is a coil zila 20w desert 50 and the other is a basking light and it is an "all liveing things" 120v 150w bulb. not sure what kind its about 4in across and almost flat on the frunt side. looks kinda like a cone. the night light doesnt have any markings on it but it looks like a basic black light

I can tell you right now, every one is going to tell you to change your coil light. They have caused a lot of issues with beardie's..one being with their eyes..turn it off ASAP.

lilchevy

Original Poster
we have had him 6 months and have had no problems untel a few days ago. and the set up i have is the one that the herpetologist gave me when i got him. so why would it have all of a suden started haveing problems?

Freeie

Extreme Poster
Remove the sand and use tile repticarpet newspaper papertowl sand is really bad for them. Turn off the coil bulb and either get a megaray(provides uvb and heat) or a Reptisun 10 you can get that from petmoutian.com leave it off intill you can get one of the ones i mentioned its better for him than the harmful rays from the coil. You need to get you a therm that has a probe whire because those stick on ones can be off by 20deg. Id lower his temps to 105f see if that helps. Id try bathing him too and get rid of the water it can cause the humidity to go up to high. Do you see him drink from it? I think his eyes need a rest from the coil.

shimmeriing

Hatchling Member
lilchevy":d1218 said:
we have had him 6 months and have had no problems untel a few days ago. and the set up i have is the one that the herpetologist gave me when i got him. so why would it have all of a suden started haveing problems?

from reading previous problems on this site, it is always the coils..whether it happens two days after putting the coil in the tank, or 6 months later. You'll notice a difference once you remove that light.

lilchevy

Original Poster
well thank you all for the info. im going to take your advice. i have had the coil light off all day today so we will see what happens. thank you again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bearded dragon
Top Bottom