HELP HELP HELP Breathing through mouth

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarajasE

I can see him breathing through his mouth through the little airway thing he has in there. Just happened all of the sudden. Also pooped.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
So, his eyes are closed and he is dark in color? Is he breathing regular or very slowly? Is he totally lethargic? If so, pick him up and hold him & stroke his back. Try to arouse him.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I know we are Pm'ing.
Are you sure that he did not aspirate any food or fluids into his glottis?

Tracie

BarajasE

Original Poster
It seems like he is normal again. As i posted in my other thread he is a little lazy because it looks like he is going to shed soon. We took him out of the tank about 15 minutes ago and he seems to be getting better

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I copied and pasted this pm with my response to save time.
diamc":3c58e said:
BarajasE":3c58e said:
We pulled him out of the tank for a bit and he seems to be going back to normal again. I had talked to the pet store owner we had gotten him from and they that it was probably due to poor air circulation in the tank because he is getting kind of big for it, but I mean he has never had this problem before.
What are the temps in the tank and how high is the humidity?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What exactly was he doing before this happened? How long ago did he last eat or drink?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
diamc":66a51 said:
BarajasE":66a51 said:
We pulled him out of the tank for a bit and he seems to be going back to normal again. I had talked to the pet store owner we had gotten him from and they that it was probably due to poor air circulation in the tank because he is getting kind of big for it, but I mean he has never had this problem before.
What are the temps in the tank and how high is the humidity?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

If he was gaping then he was thermoregulating. While they thermoregulate, if you will watch closely each time, their glottis will open & close more than you realize. They force air out of their lungs to cool themselves off.

Tracie

BarajasE

Original Poster
That might have been it. I've seen that before but this time seemed different because he was breathing hard as it happened and even coughed once. Now he seems ok mouth is still cracked a little open but it wasn't all wide open as it was before.
P1010279.jpg

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Is his beard still darkened? What and how much did he have to eat?

BarajasE

Original Poster
Yes beard is still dark and he ate a small amount of baby food. I don't know the exact measurements.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Did you have to force feed it? Did he seem to choke on it at all or did he swallow it normally?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh he does look distressed though. I don't like the beard being black, either.
Please remind me what medication did the vet give when you took him in? Do you know how much of it was given?
I just hope it is not renal failure.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bugluvr3
Top Bottom