Old Beardie, Likely Pneumonia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everyone,

I have a 12 year old beardie, named "Lizard" who after never being sick a day in his life has recently come down with a respiratory ailment. I've been to 3 different vets and all 3 have different opinions. I get the impression though they say they are experienced with reptiles they really have little clue as to what they're doing.

I took him to the ER on Saturday night after he started gaping and laboring for breath. The doctor took an x-ray, claimed his lungs were 80% consolidated (severe pneumonia) and administered .1ml of Baytril via subcutaneous injection. Told me to follow up with vet on Monday. That night was tough on Lizard, didn't think he was going to make it. Sunday was a bit better, though still gaping and taking deep breaths. Energy level ok. Appetite decreased but there.

Monday I went to a local vet who claimed to have experience with reptiles. I think I knew more than he did unfortunately, though I did allow him to administer another .1ml of Baytril via subcutaneous injection. After viewing the x-rays he didn't seem to think it was as bad as the 80% consolidation the previous doctor noted, but he did note some fluid in the lungs. Not a bad night for Lizard last night, but still gaping today. Color is off. Appetite low. Energy ok.

Today (Tuesday) I ventured a bit further with him to my regular vet who also claims to be reptile trained (20 years). The xray equipment was down and she didnt have the means to view my xrays done on Saturday so she couldn't confirm the 80% consolidation. I expect to hear back from her on that either tonight or tomorrow morning. In the interim, she gave him another .1 ml dose of Baytril via injection into the arm, a subcutaneous injection of vitamin A & D, and she has given me another 10 .1ml doses of Baytril, already loaded into individual syringes to be administered into his arms once per day alternating sides. She also gave me some more Baytril in a bottle which she wants me to dilute .1ml with .9 ml saline and administer 2-3x per day via nebulizer.

I was hoping you all could weigh in on this regimen and give me your opinion. I've read the injections can be very harsh on their bodies and should only be given initially, once, followed up with an oral regimen. I've also read that introducing liquids to the lungs can be counter productive (considering the pneumonia) but perhaps this isn't an issue with a saline/Baytril solution.

Any insight you can offer would be greatly appreciated. I know he's an old guy, but he's a very dear friend and I'd hate to lose him like this.

Thanks so much.

Dan
flipu4reel
Newbie Poster

Freeie

Extreme Poster
I just wanted to let you know to be patient for post we have a few people here who know alot about the medical end and meds and vet care sometimes they dont get on intill later just thought id bump you up and let you know. Your beardie will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am reviewing your PM & will have a response for you pretty soon. :D
Congratulations on having a 12 year old dragon, that in itself, is quite incredible.

Tracie

flipu4reel

Original Poster
Thanks Tracie, I hope you realize how much I appreciate your help. I understand that he's quite sick and quite old, I just want to make absolute sure I am doing everything in my power to give him a fighting chance at this.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It is no problem! Just because he is "older" doesn't mean that he is less special. He is a treasure to you I realize, & is totally irreplaceable as well. :D I hope I am able to help out. He is very lucky that you are this caring.

Tracie

flipu4reel

Original Poster
Just a quick update, he ate only a little tonight, so I gave him a 15 minute shallow bath and then fed him a bit of soy yogurt. He took it without much fuss, but only a little. He's been sleeping on my chest for the last few hours, gaping at regular intervals, every third breath or so.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Dan,

I hope that he is comfortable & doing ok this evening. Good that he did eat a little bit & took some soy yogurt as well. It sounds like he cannot breathe very well. :(

Tracie

flipu4reel

Original Poster
Thanks, Tracie. I got your PM. He did ok last night and seems to be doing well this morning. Demanding greens, making a mess of his enclosure, etc. He is a morning beardie, for sure. I started nebulizer treatments today, and surprisingly he didn't put up too much of a fuss. Hopefully I'll see some improvement soon.

Dan

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Dan,

Great, I will get back with you PM also. I wanted to discuss the medications a little more, also.
It sounds like he still has some spunk in him too, trashing his greens all over the tank then! Demanding service I see! :blob5:
Wow that is super that he did not mind the nebulizer treatment too badly, that is actually somewhat surprising.
Keep him comfortable, & I will talk to you soon.

Talk soon.
Tracie

flipu4reel

Original Poster
Tracie - Got your PM and responded. Thanks so much.

Against all odds I am seeing improvements in the little guy. His color is much improved, energy is normal, appetite is still decreased but that is likely a by-product of the Baytril. I'm enticing him to eat some greens and fruit, soy yogurt, and he took a nice healthy swig of water/Pedialyte from his bath today. I am going to continue the Baytril shots and nebulizer treatments until Saturday and assess. We're not out of the woods yet, but he's giving it one hell of a shot.

Dan

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Dan,

Great that he is actually doing a little bit better right now. It does seem that the nebulizing is helping him out some.
Good to hear that his color has improved right now, too. I ex pected his appetite to decrease a little bit, but hopefully the soy yogurt will help that out too.
I am glad that he took in some water during his bath as well. :D

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom