Baby beardies hind legs twitching?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I have 11 baby beardies and there are separated into smaller groups in three large vivs so that they are not all cluttered into one space, i've just started noticing one of the babies hind legs twitching and going into spasms, I feed him gut loaded crickets 5 times a week and dusted mealworms and locusts once a week, i also dust the crickets everytime so I can't see it being a calcium deficiency, however I am no expert and have only had my babies a few weeks, does anyone have any ideas what may be causing this of is it looking like he/she may have to be put in her own separate viv as it may have something to do with dominance and being bullied??
Either way I am not sure what to do, I am selling 8 of my babies when they are big and strong enough to go to responsible homes but I am determined not to lose any one of them whilst they are in my care so if you have any sensible advice please help...

Thanks a million!!!

Hi, that's usually a sign he/she has ingested a large food item/and or to much at one time (babies are huge gorgers). So it probably means something is pushing against the spinal cord i believe. First thing to do is to get him soaking in luke warm water right away to help him try and pass whatever is causing the blockage. It's not a bad idea to set up a vet appt., and if he passes the stool by then you can cancel. You can do the soakings as much as possible, my suggestion would be 15-25 min, then let them rest an hour or so and go again. If you have somesort of heat pad that produces mild heat (like the corn husk microwave warmers you can buy or make for sore muscles) that aids a lot inbetween the soakings to increase circulation. Hope that helps. Putting him in a separate tank wouldn't be a bad idea either, he's probably stressed already, and that would help.

kinky

could it be caused by impaction? maybe a beardie so young is having trouble with the mealworms? i'm not expert, just throwing out an idea.

Mealies are harder to digest with all the extra chitin...it's a good guess. Locusts could be as well, how big are the legs on them? If the locust legs are attached, the spines on the back can get stuck in the gi tract and create a blockage.

gizmo09uk

yeah ive also heard that babies find it hard to digest the shells of the meal worms, if thats what you call it. ive also seen that babies need allot of UV light to help them grow, im not a pro at this at all but thats just my thoughts, have you got all the babies under a UV lamp? if not try giving them supliments and a few hours sunshine a day in a large box or something but make sure no cats can get in there but if you havnt got them under UV make it your mission to get them under UV, they need it :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom