Beardie dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jen83

About a week ago, my beardie was puffed up with sand all over his face and in his mouth...the next day we took him to the vet who said he had an infection, gave us antibiotics, and syringes with food to force feed him. We did it for about a week, and then tonight, he threw up and ate more sand. He is puffed up, writhing around and now isn't moving. His feet are cold. He is breathing but barely. He has an appointment tomorrow morning with the vet as a follow up, I just hope he makes it. I have no idea how this happened. Is it the sand? The vet said they eat the sand when they want to make themselves throw up like when dogs eat grass...

UTreptiles

Sand is the very worst thing for any reptiles. It will cause impaction which can be deadly. Even calci sand is bad. There is no reason for a dragon to ingest sand at any time. Remove this immediatly, especially since you see him eating it. This is very bad for thier systems.

UTreptiles

On another note that vet sounds like he has no idea what he is talking about. That line about eating sand to make them throw up is the most absurd thing I have ever heard. See if you can find a reptile vet or at least a vet that will call a reptile vet for consult. But please remove the sand.

UTreptiles

The best thing to do for now till you see the vet is to make sure the dragon is hydrated by bathing for a few minutes. Even a little gatorade in the bath water might help. Also try to keep the cage a littler wamer tonight if you have a ceramic heat emitter. Even if you have to, you can use a regular houshold bulb. The light would disturb the sleep pattern but may help until the vet visit. Do not use a heating pad. Remove the sand please

Jen83

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies, but unfortunately Stanley went from bad to worse last night and died early this morning before his vet appt. I have another beardie and I think I am going to take the sand out of his aquarium today. He is just going to have to be on the bare glass until I get something to replace the sand. I am heartbroken because I only had Stanley for almost 3 months. I used to have a bearded dragon years ago, and he lived for many years, so I don't know what I did wrong. :(
Thanks again for replying so quickly.

Jen83

Original Poster
I have another question...is the repticarpet like carpet or what? How easy is it to clean because my other beardie, oscar, is a poop machine. And do you know of any places that sell it? Local pet stores? Thanks

sara24354

Sub-Adult Member
First off, I am so sorry for the loss of your dragon!! Hugs to you. Pet stores probably sell reptile carpet,but I have never used it so I don't really know a lot about it. You can use paper towels or newspapers for the substrate or tile or non adhesive shelf liner. Sand causes impactions risks as well as harboring bacteria that can cause illness. What kind of lighting are you using? UVB and heat? Ask any questions you may have and go over the tank set up and we will be able to help more.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am very sorry for your loss of your dragon, I realize how devastating that is. :cry:
If you would like, we can run over your tank setup to make sure it is all correct for you so it will not happen again.

Tracie

Chryss

Hatchling Member
I am so sorry to hear what has happened. I can only imagine the pain you are in :( I use non-adhesive shelf liner that has a little bit of texture to it and it cleans up pretty fast. I use that Clorox anywhere that is safe around kids and pets and a paper town to do quick cleans. I am trying to train Alvin to go in his bath every evening but since he is so young, it is hard to tell when he will go.

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
Sorry about your dragon, I use non adheasive shelf liner I get at lowes. Its easy to clean and cheap to replace. Good luck.

Jen83

Original Poster
Thanks. It is hard when he was my "baby". On the set up issue, I am using paper towels for now. I don't remember what kind of light bulb they gave me at the pet store. I know it was pretty expensive and it is UVB. Some kind of reptile light. Oscar is also in a 40 gallon tank. They didn't have 30 gallon when I bought him and Stanley. I have a dish with clean water, and another dish for his "salads". I also give him a warm bath about every week. I also handle him frequently to get used to it. Never for very long. I sprinkle his mealworms and crickets with Flukers repti-calcium powder as well as his greens.

sara24354

Sub-Adult Member
The UVB lighting is important,could you please check for the type,it may be printed on it. Some of the UVB lights have been known to cause health problems and eye problems,not eating,lethargy,etc... Unfortunately,pet stores care about a sale and sometimes don't know what they are talking about,but will sell you any light just to make a sale. Is the light a long tube flourecent or compact or coil?

Jen83

Original Poster
I really don't remember what type it was. I'm sure when I go back to buy his mealworms and crickets, I can look for it. I just remember taking it out of the box and the box said it was for reptiles and had a lizard on it. It is not fluorescent. It looks like a regular light bulb but bigger and longer. It also is like very high wattage and lets out a lot of heat.
I definitely know what you mean about pet stores just trying to make a sale. Too bad most don't actually care about the animals, just the money they make off of it.

sara24354

Sub-Adult Member
That doesn't sound like a good bulb,you need to turn it off and get a reptisun 10.0 bulb!!! Anything other than an MVB bulb,a reptisun either 5.0 or 10.0 with 10.0 being the best and even a reptiglo 8 is good,but reptiglo 10 has caused eye problem,no eating etc.... and so have other bulbs,so PLease get a reptisun 10.0 as soon as possible.I think you will see a big improvement in your dragon.Also please don't use meal worms!! They have a hard chitin shell that can cause impaction.The light needs to be a long tube flourecent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bearded dragon
Top Bottom