not eating well

Status
Not open for further replies.

krystalsboy

Hatchling Member
Hello. I have been posting in other topics and it was suggested I post here. My baby beardie is not eating well (I think he is about 2 or 3 months old). Since I got him 3 weeks ago he eats about 10 crickets a day. I have gone through tank setup already. Temps r good, correct bulbs, tile floor, 10 min baths everyday, poops everyday. He just doesn't seem as active. I may try lowring his uvb a little. Currently it is about 8 inches from his favorite basking spot. Any other advice?

To be honest I'm not real sure what could be causing the problem. Sorry, but my hopes that someone smarter will come along are with you!

krystalsboy

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks, I keep thinking maybe thats just the way he is because he never really eats that much but he's pretty fat I think

krystalsboy

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Anyone have a beardie like this? Just not very good eaters. Could it be he doesn't like his feeder tank? how do I get him to eat more crickets in it?? I keep thinking he'll get hungry enough to eat, but doesn't really seem to.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Which UVB are you using then? What type of basking light are you using? How are they placed in the tank, directly beside each other? Nevermind, I just read over your thread in the enclosure forum. I looked at your picture as well. How close is the UVB light to him now?
One thing that I see is that the UVB light needs to be directly overhead instead of mounted on the back. The UVB does not project real well that way & can cause glare on one eye more than the other in that position. So, you will need to try & find a way to get it mounted overhead & see if that will help the lighting situation.
Do you supplement calcium?
Feeding outside of the tank can really be helpful as you are doing. What kind of feeder tank do you use? How many crickets do you put in there at a time? Do you try feeding him 2-3 times per day? At 10 crickets per day that is not nearly enough.

Tracie

krystalsboy

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Drache613":cd63b said:
Hello,

Which UVB are you using then? What type of basking light are you using? How are they placed in the tank, directly beside each other? Nevermind, I just read over your thread in the enclosure forum. I looked at your picture as well. How close is the UVB light to him now?
One thing that I see is that the UVB light needs to be directly overhead instead of mounted on the back. The UVB does not project real well that way & can cause glare on one eye more than the other in that position. So, you will need to try & find a way to get it mounted overhead & see if that will help the lighting situation.
Do you supplement calcium?
Feeding outside of the tank can really be helpful as you are doing. What kind of feeder tank do you use? How many crickets do you put in there at a time? Do you try feeding him 2-3 times per day? At 10 crickets per day that is not nearly enough.

Tracie

the bulb is a Reptisun 10.0 about 6 inches from him now. Would prefer not to put it overhead. Basking is a 50w halogen. He can get 6 inches to reptisun when under his basking bulb. I do supplement calcium and vitamin. Using a 10 gallon feeder. 2 crickets at a time. Try feeding him 3 times a day. My husband is a student at night...so he gets "daywatch" and I get "nightwatch". He ate almost all of his greens today though, which I am glad. I'm wandering how old he is. I got him at a pet store (before I knew better!) And they don't use a UVB with the babies. So, I'm wandering if he's older than his size lets on.

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
krystalsboy":39ad2 said:
the bulb is a Reptisun 10.0 about 6 inches from him now. Would prefer not to put it overhead. Basking is a 50w halogen. He can get 6 inches to reptisun when under his basking bulb. I do supplement calcium and vitamin. Using a 10 gallon feeder. 2 crickets at a time. Try feeding him 3 times a day. My husband is a student at night...so he gets "daywatch" and I get "nightwatch". He ate almost all of his greens today though, which I am glad. I'm wandering how old he is. I got him at a pet store (before I knew better!) And they don't use a UVB with the babies. So, I'm wandering if he's older than his size lets on.

What do you mean by you would 'prefer not to put it overhead'. Do you mean the UVB bulb?

krystalsboy

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yes, I dont want to put the UVB overhead...it is on the side of the tank in a fixture from Lowes. She has finally shed most of her skin today. I will see if she eats better tomorrow. SHe's eating an average of 10 large crix a day. She pooped twice today. I think she's gonna be okay. WIll make a vet appt when I take my two guinea pigs in for their check-up, maybe get a fecal done just in case. Waiting for these big crix to run out, then will try to smaller ones. May try to go with some type of worms that can be readily available to her when she's hungery. My husband has begun to spoil her by hand feeding her her crix!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, the UVB being mounted on the side causes too much glare on the eyes & over time, could damage them too. It really is recommended that the lighting be overhead for safety.

Tracie

hsteward90

Hatchling Member
you said large crickets...if your feeding it full sized crickets then that might be the problem...make sure the cricket is no larger than the space between his/her eyes. large crickets are huge..i havent even built tango up to those yet (we have one more size). they may be filling him up.

krystalsboy

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
She only ate two crickets today. Thinking about switching to baby food. Can't get enough calcium supplement in her

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you switched to smaller sized crickets it would help her to be able to digest easier rather than the large size and would probably help her to be able to eat more at one time. Since she is eating her greens well, you could always put the calcium on those instead. As Tracie mentioned, moving the UVB light so that it is overhead should really be considered. Babies eyes are very sensitive to ultra violet rays and the glare of it could be very dangerous not allowing her eyes to dilate correctly. Also, since the UV rays isn't pointing downward, it could prevent her from processing the D3 and calcium efficiently.

krystalsboy

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
THank you for the advice. I just don't know how I can face the UVB down. I just use a cheap fixture from Lowes. My screen top is pretty cheap. It has 2 plastic pieces that are on top and they will certainly melt if that bulb is lying ont them. Here is a picture below of my setup. THe small crix will be coming soon, and calling the vet tomorrow to run a fecal. Any adice about moving the UVB overhead. Just a little confused because on the "Vivs only" thread I see many tank use the fixture that I use...on the side of the tank.
cagesetup.jpg

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Actually, the UVB lights barely get warm so should certainly not get hot enough to melt anything. If it does get hot, then it isn't working right. If you had it on the top, you should be able to place the bulb flat so that the rays goes right down into the tank rather than bouncing around. Or you could get a strip line hood and use that on the top, those work very well. Here's the type I use: http://www.petmountain.com/product/aquariuim-light-fixtures/516029/perfecto-incandescent-perfect-a-lite-hood-black.html Just a suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom