Dented Bottom Lip and Weird Tail??!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azymondias&Ryn

Hatchling Member
My bearded dragon has had this for a long time. She finally shed that area and it’s still there. When she was little, she would always bang against the glass. Now, she only does it when she wants to go outside or come back out after I put her back in. Is this normal / something I should worry about? How can I get it back to normal?

111754-8971333257.jpg

She also has a weird curving tail. She’s had this since I got her, Is it normal?

111754-2630590629.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The indentation on her chin is pretty common, & shouldn't be harmful to her. It happens with
dragons that possibly bang their chins on their tank which can cause slight indentations. It
looks like it is going to shed off, too.
The tail being kinked to that extent is permanent & most likely due to calcium & UVB deficiency.
Are you currently using calcium supplementation for her? Which UVB light do you use?

Tracie

Azymondias&Ryn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Drache613":8jbcd4pn said:
Hello,

The indentation on her chin is pretty common, & shouldn't be harmful to her. It happens with
dragons that possibly bang their chins on their tank which can cause slight indentations. It
looks like it is going to shed off, too.
The tail being kinked to that extent is permanent & most likely due to calcium & UVB deficiency.
Are you currently using calcium supplementation for her? Which UVB light do you use?

Tracie

I am using calcium supplements and I don’t know the UVB light but it was the most recommended at the store. I’ll check as soon as possible though!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Great, thanks. Is it a tube bulb? If so, the band of the tube should be stamped on one of the
ends of the light.
How is she doing today?

Tracie

Azymondias&Ryn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Drache613":1fuywhsh said:
Hello,

Great, thanks. Is it a tube bulb? If so, the band of the tube should be stamped on one of the
ends of the light.
How is she doing today?

Tracie

It’s not a tube bulb. My setup includes two bulbs, one for heat, and the other for light. I’m trying to find the box which the bulbs came in, but no luck. I’ll have to ask my dad later today. She’s doing fine, with normal eating and activity.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Is your UVB light a small compact/coil bulb, or a all in one type of light otherwise known as
a Mercury Vapor Bulb which gives off heat & UVB?
If she isn't receiving enough UVB then she wont be able to absorb her calcium very well.
How is she doing today?

Tracie

Azymondias&Ryn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Drache613":354y1k53 said:
Hello,

Is your UVB light a small compact/coil bulb, or a all in one type of light otherwise known as
a Mercury Vapor Bulb which gives off heat & UVB?
If she isn't receiving enough UVB then she wont be able to absorb her calcium very well.
How is she doing today?

Tracie

It’s not a coil bulb and I have two separate bulbs. One for heat which gives off an orange light (not red bulb) and the other for UVB. She’s doing great, and starting to eat her greens more.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok great, I'm glad that your UVB isn't a compact/coil light. When you find out the brand of
your UVB, let us know.
How is she doing today? That's terrific she is eating her greens some now! Keep us posted
on her progress.

Tracie

Azymondias&Ryn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Drache613":1qdaxdwl said:
Hello,

Ok great, I'm glad that your UVB isn't a compact/coil light. When you find out the brand of
your UVB, let us know.
How is she doing today? That's terrific she is eating her greens some now! Keep us posted
on her progress.

Tracie

Hi, sorry for the late reply. I couldn’t find the box but I think It has to do with ZooMed? Or something like that, would a picture of the bulb and lighting setup help? She’s also doing fine, I tricked her into eating some more greens.

Quick question, do you know if I should be doing this? I’ve pretty much been doing it since she got used to the outdoors.

I take her outside everyday if It’s not too cold, so usually everyday. She has a nice open sunny area and a shady spot. Along with an occasional pool. We built a cage for her but she ends up wanting to run around outside of it. If it’s humid or super hot, she only stays out for a small period of time. Most of the time, she’s outside for an hour or more. With complete supervision of course. Is it okay to do this?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Terrific, the Reptisun 10 tube bulb is fine. Be sure it is at a 6-8 inch distance from your
dragon for maximum benefit. Yes, absolutely post some pictures of your tank with the
lighting, etc so we can see the placement of them.

Sure, you can get her to eat extra greens that is no problem at all. If you supervise her
while she is outside, there is no reason why you can't have her outside, daily. Natural
sun is terrific for them!

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

Azymondias&Ryn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Drache613":2q65zvcd said:
Hello,

Terrific, the Reptisun 10 tube bulb is fine. Be sure it is at a 6-8 inch distance from your
dragon for maximum benefit. Yes, absolutely post some pictures of your tank with the
lighting, etc so we can see the placement of them.

Sure, you can get her to eat extra greens that is no problem at all. If you supervise her
while she is outside, there is no reason why you can't have her outside, daily. Natural
sun is terrific for them!

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

Here is the light and her hammock. The light has a stand which holds it up, it can be adjustable so let me know if this is a good height or not. The average heat her basking spot is in, is the high 90s to around 105 degrees. Her cooler side is about 75-80 usually. At night we turn the lights off and cover the tank with towels. She has heating pads to keep her warm.

111754-7807459668.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Where is the tube bulb mounted, I wasn't able to see it there in the
picture you had just posted?
The basking lights look fine, they are at a good distance from her, for
safety. As long as the temperatures are optimal, that will be fine.
The overnight temperature is fine. Be sure you have a towel in between
her & the heating pads just so they don't get too warm on her little belly.

Tracie

Azymondias&Ryn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Drache613":2pctz3xj said:
Hello,

Where is the tube bulb mounted, I wasn't able to see it there in the
picture you had just posted?
The basking lights look fine, they are at a good distance from her, for
safety. As long as the temperatures are optimal, that will be fine.
The overnight temperature is fine. Be sure you have a towel in between
her & the heating pads just so they don't get too warm on her little belly.

Tracie

Tube bulb? I only have the UVB and the heat light which were shown in the picture. Am I supposed to have a third light? Also the heating pad is on the side of the tank and one on the bottom which is less warm so it doesn’t burn her when she touches that part of the substrate.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, it's great that you have an outdoor cage because outside time will provide excellent uvb exposure. If your our light is a compact [ small, 2 prongs side by side about 6-7 " long ] that fits in the double dome fixture you posted. They are not a good uvb source but since you take her out for natural sun , that has made up for it. It would still be a good idea to get a long tube Reptisun or Arcadia t5 bulb but if your dragon gets sun for 3-4 times a week for an hour or so it will make up for the weak bulb unless it's a mercury vapor bulb like Tracie wondered.

Azymondias&Ryn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
AHBD":24kn759p said:
Hi there, it's great that you have an outdoor cage because outside time will provide excellent uvb exposure. If your our light is a compact [ small, 2 prongs side by side about 6-7 " long ] that fits in the double dome fixture you posted. They are not a good uvb source but since you take her out for natural sun , that has made up for it. It would still be a good idea to get a long tube Reptisun or Arcadia t5 bulb but if your dragon gets sun for 3-4 times a week for an hour or so it will make up for the weak bulb unless it's a mercury vapor bulb like Tracie wondered.

Ohhh I think I miss understood some stuff earlier. My bad! Thanks for clearing it up. I’ll look into the lights. Since she goes outside everyday, I’m not too worried for now. But when it gets colder in the winter, she won’t be able to go out so I’ll hopefully get a better light before then!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom