My beardie Atlas' eye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Is your boy losing weight right now?
You can try to assist feed him by dropping food onto the end of his nose to see if he will lick
the food off. Do you have a plastic dropper?
What foods are you offering him?

Tracie

wendysn63

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He hasn't touched any salad of which he used to daily. I have offered dubias, superworms, Hornworms which he usually attacks.?. One thing strange was that he did allow me to lightly spray water on his mouth and he drank it up as I sprayed the stream.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Is he basking at all?
If he is not eating anything at all, you can definitely try making a nutritional slurry for him
from chicken or turkey baby food, mixed with sweet potato or squash baby food. Just use
a plastic dropper or syringe to drop it onto his nose to see if he will lick the food off of his
nose.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

wendysn63

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He is basking. He doesn't look as though he's losing weight. We did feed him with a syringe which he didn't seem to mind.?. It just seems to me that he acts as if his eye is bothering him. It isn't leaking like it was when I first posted and I haven't given up on cleansing it...I don't know, all in all I don't know.

wendysn63

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
110610-4950137795.jpg
110610-3164074803.jpg
His left side is the sore eye and the right side is okay. I'm not sure if you can tell by the pics and I'm hoping that they loaded up okay?

wendysn63

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
We took this guy, Atlas, from some people who did not know how to care for him. He had no light source only a hot rock, he was being fed pellets, some crickets, and tomatoes. He had stuck shed really bad and he somewhere lost a couple of toes, and had him housed in a ten gallon tank!
We used advice from this site for him and got proper lighting (except that stupid purple light which is now gone), a 4x4x2 tank and he was doing really good. He's been with us for 8-9 months now and we love him to death.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes thanks, the pictures did load up just fine. Are you getting plenty of oral fluids into him
right now? Overall he doesn't look too bad but maybe just a bit dehydrated since his eyes
appear a little sunken.
Just use a plastic dropper or syringe to drip water onto his nose. Most of the time, they will
lick the water off of the snout.
His eye looks a little better. Are you still using a sterile saline to wash it out daily?

Tracie

wendysn63

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yes we have been cleaning his eye twice a day. He actually drinks from the spray bottle that we use for our frilled dragons. I have to baby the spray for him at times he is stubborn but he does drink. I will keep that up for him as well.

wendysn63

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Atlas' eye is slowly getting better I think. He is still not himself though. How do we know if he is trying to brumate?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok the UVB is a T 5? Distance is 12-15 inches directly over basking area? Basking temps are 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer? If all is correct then it's not lighting causing sleeping behavior- is he lethargic? What about poops? Are they runny and stink so bad they make you want to leave the room? Too high of a parasite count will cause that behavior

wendysn63

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yep, light is T5 distance is 12-15 the basking temp is more like 93 and it is a digital probe. His poop has been mostly urate and somewhat firm. The last few days he hasn't eaten enough to have poop (I'm thinking). Lethargic? possibly? He doesn't move around as much as he used to and he find a spot where he can use something to support his head. Today I got the impression he was trying to get away from the light but not so much as to crawl into his little cave.?.

wendysn63

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Atlas seems to be looking a lot better. He was out near his door to greet us this morning which he hasn't done for a little while or since his eye started to bug him, he still hasn't eaten yet. We syringe fed him day before yesterday and he did have a little poo but, it had a strong odor of, I wanna say garlic.?.

wendysn63

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
We are starting to worry about Atlas, his eye is looking really good but he is not himself. still hasn't eaten and is seeming lethargic the last two days. He is now starting to show and/or feel weight loss. Should I see a vet or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom