Scared my beardie is egg bound

Status
Not open for further replies.

clyde612

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
ooops don't mind this post, i was going to ask how she was doing but didn't see there was a second page, glad she's going better!

On the topic of vet bills, would anyone recommend beardie insurance? I found one for $15/month for emergencies and $25 a month for emergencies + routine visits

lizdragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
clyde612":1skcm8et said:
ooops don't mind this post, i was going to ask how she was doing but didn't see there was a second page, glad she's going better!

On the topic of vet bills, would anyone recommend beardie insurance? I found one for $15/month for emergencies and $25 a month for emergencies + routine visits

Thank you! Wish I knew anything about insurance. I would say I usually spend $500-1000 on Liz's vet appointments a year (though maybe that's because I worry about her so much and take her in too often :lol:) so maybe I should look into this too.

lisbetha

Hopefully you can find someone. Here in NZ, it's dog and cat only :/
I just end up queueing for the one bird/reptile vet in the city. At least working with bird rescue, I kinda have an avian vet on tap. Helps for a good second opinion on my chicken(who are very much pets).

lizdragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hey everyone, just an update. So as I mentioned on this thread before, Liz laid 31 eggs 2.5 weeks ago. Well yesterday we began to think she might be ready for another batch (she has laid batches this close together before). This morning as we were waking up, she laid what looked like a deflated, yellow-tinted egg. Is it possible this was an egg leftover from the previous batch? I’m not sure if we should expect her to lay more.

Update: We put her in her lay box yesterday. She moved around a lot but did not lay any eggs. This morning we woke up to find two more eggs in her tank which I guess she laid overnight. She has never done this before; she's always laid everything all at once. Hopefully she can get the rest of the eggs out today.

Update 3/13: She randomly laid one egg today in her tank while we were giving her a break from her lay box. Did not lay anymore. Ughh!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing this evening?
Has she laid anymore eggs? That is good to hear she was able to lay her other clutch then,
successfully.
They can sometimes lay an extra egg that was left over from a previous clutch, so it is hard
to determine whether or not she will lay another clutch. Since it was pretty yellowish it may
be a retained one from the last clutch then.
Have you been giving some extra calcium since she has been laying right now?
I would continue to keep her laybox around in case she needs to lay more.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

lizdragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Drache613":4p60q9ml said:
Hello,

How is your dragon doing this evening?
Has she laid anymore eggs? That is good to hear she was able to lay her other clutch then,
successfully.
They can sometimes lay an extra egg that was left over from a previous clutch, so it is hard
to determine whether or not she will lay another clutch. Since it was pretty yellowish it may
be a retained one from the last clutch then.
Have you been giving some extra calcium since she has been laying right now?
I would continue to keep her laybox around in case she needs to lay more.

Tracie

Hi Tracie,

Thank you for getting back to me. The day after she laid that one egg she laid two eggs overnight, and then yesterday she laid one more egg in her tank. That, combined with her restless behavior lately makes us think she definitely has more eggs to lay. I'm just not sure why she's not laying them all at once like she normally does and why she doesn't want to lay them in her lay box. We've been putting her in there every day but all four eggs she's laid have been in her tank. She has laid a few clutches in her tank before, but not just one or two eggs at a time.

Also, because of covid my husband has to work from home, which means he's at his desk in front of her tank all day. Is it possible that this is why she will only lay one or two eggs and then will stop? I know she likes her privacy.

Oh also (sorry!), lately every time we put her in her lay box she gets sand in her eyes. Is this dangerous for her? Last night she didn't want to open her right eye very much but this morning it seemed fine. Then she got more sand in the same eye today and also seems like she doesn't want to keep it open very much (though she is opening it a bit). I ordered sterile saline but it wont come until tomorrow so for now I have to use water to clean it.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You are welcome.
I am not sure if having someone around affects her laying her eggs, but I suppose anything
is possible. Is there any type of hood or partial covering you could place over the laybox to
give some privacy?
She probably does have more eggs so hopefully she will be able to get them laid!
Are you using a mix of sand & some soil too? How is her eye looking?

Tracie

lizdragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Drache613":1xok1pwy said:
Hello,

You are welcome.
I am not sure if having someone around affects her laying her eggs, but I suppose anything
is possible. Is there any type of hood or partial covering you could place over the laybox to
give some privacy?
She probably does have more eggs so hopefully she will be able to get them laid!
Are you using a mix of sand & some soil too? How is her eye looking?

Tracie

Hi Tracie! She has not laid yet, but she's still showing signs. It often can take her awhile (once it took her over two weeks) so I'm not too concerned yet. We were using sand only but she kept getting it in her eye. I ordered soil and it's coming tomorrow. Do you think it would be okay to just use soil? I just really don't want more sand to get in her eye. Luckily her eye is totally fine now after using sterile saline to wash it out. I just worry about it happening again. :|

Gail

BD.org Addict
Have you thought about having her spayed? Its not commonly done but I have seen it in female who lay a lot and who have issues laying. She might be a good candidate.

lizdragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Gail":27urr6tm said:
Have you thought about having her spayed? Its not commonly done but I have seen it in female who lay a lot and who have issues laying. She might be a good candidate.

I had a vet mention it to me once. Honestly any sort of surgical procedure on a reptile scares me because of the risks. Have you heard the procedure is mostly safe?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is perfectly fine to use just soil. Or you can do a nice soil to sand mix, making it damp
in order to hold up to her burrowing, but not so wet that water is standing.
I am glad her eye is looking better though!
Spaying is a fairly routine procedure & if she is healthy overall then she should come through
surgery & anesthesia without any complications.

Keep us posted on her!
Tracie

lizdragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Drache613":33d8u4zv said:
Hello,

That is perfectly fine to use just soil. Or you can do a nice soil to sand mix, making it damp
in order to hold up to her burrowing, but not so wet that water is standing.
I am glad her eye is looking better though!
Spaying is a fairly routine procedure & if she is healthy overall then she should come through
surgery & anesthesia without any complications.

Keep us posted on her!
Tracie

Hi Tracie! So we put the soil into her lay box and mixed in a little sand. She didn't seem to get any in her eye which was great, but boy did she get dirty!

After spending most of the day in her lay box, she ended up laying one egg in her tank tonight. She didn't want to lay anymore than that. I don't understand why she keeps laying one or two eggs at a time. She has never done this before. I wish she would just do it all once like she normally does.

Next time I take her to her regular vet I will ask about spaying, though I'm still not sure about it. Do you know if there's an age when they start to stop laying? She's 5 now.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I bet that she did get dirty but I'm glad to hear she didn't get any sand in her eye then.
I am not sure why her laying behavior has changed but this can happen. There really
isn't any specific age in which they stop laying eggs. I have seen some stop or slow down
as early as 7 or 8 years & some lay eggs at over 10 years of age.
Are her calcium levels good?

Tracie

lizdragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well she has MBD, so I'm sure that affects her laying. But she's had it since I've owned her and she's always been able to get the eggs out eventually, though sometimes not without a scare. I use the Arcadia D3 12% UVB T5 bulb for her UVB and I actually just ordered her a new one because I realized it's been about six months. We've been dusting her food with calcium but her appetite has been down the past few days. If she continues to struggle I think we will take her back to the vet for an injection of calcium and possibly oxytocin.

I'll discuss spaying with her normal vet (she sees a different one during covid) who performs reptile surgeries. I'm just hesitant to have it done knowing the risks. But at the same time, this is exhausting. When she has eggs she needs total supervision because her restlessness sometimes causes her to flip over as she runs around the tank or lay box, and due to her MBD she has trouble flipping herself back. I think I'll see how many clutches she lays this year. Last year was only one, which was great, but the year before she laid 8 clutches in a row. I really don't want a repeat of that.

lizdragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
She just laid another egg in her tank right before bedtime, after being in the lay box the majority of the day.. :?

Edit 4/19: She laid another egg this morning

I honestly don't know what to do. I'm not sure why she has changed her behavior or what I can do about it. Today she kept flipping herself over in her lay box so I had to fix her constantly. She walks around but does not want to lay. I put her back in her tank in case she wants to lay there. I have to constantly supervise her starting from the moment she wakes up (lately it's 7am) in case she flips herself. I feel exhausted and overwhelmed. I can take her to the vet but I really can't do this every time she needs to lay. Maybe if she only lays once or twice a year, but in 2019 she laid 8 clutches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom