HELP Scale rot or fungus??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krisgisv

110943-9886817694.jpg
110943-7233006661.jpg
110943-9245589338.jpg
My daughter has a beardie and she has been great with him but recently he was having a hard time shedding, we got him
Vetericyn Plus Reptile Wound and Skin Care and it helped him shed the top layer but then we noticed underneath looked like he was loosing scales and looked like he had some puss. We thought scale rot so I have given him a bathe with the Betadine. But doesn’t seem to help there is a big chunk that looks like it wants to come off and I can tell it hurts him. He seems to also have lost his appetite. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Krisgisv

Original Poster
110943-9886817694.jpg
110943-9245589338.jpg
110943-7233006661.jpg
My daughter has a beardie and she has been great with him but recently he was having a hard time shedding, we got him
Vetericyn Plus Reptile Wound and Skin Care and it helped him shed the top layer but then we noticed underneath looked like he was loosing scales and looked like puss. We though scale rot so I have given him a bathe with the Betadine. But doesn’t seem to help there is a big chunk that looks like it wants to come off and I can tell it hurts him. He seems to also have lost his appetite. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I have flagged the post to someone on here that can help you --- what are you using for a UVB? NO coils please- basking temps what are they and how are you taking them? NO stick ons they are inaccurate-- digital probe thermometer needs to be used they are the most accurate- what are you feeding him? The basking temps and the UVB are the two MOST IMPORTANT things in the tank

Krisgisv

Original Poster
Hi thank you responding I’m new here, no coils, I do have the stick ons, I will change that. Lately he has not been eating he has always been a very picky eater mostly likes crickets lots of em it’s hard to get him to eat greens but we still give him lots of kale. He does NoT like those ‘bearded dragon mixes’ basking temp on the stick on usually is at 90 degrees or where it says OK. I take off the basking light at night and he goes in his little cave like thing and sleeps.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It is very important that you have good basking temps- get a digital probe thermometer ASAP - temps need to be 105-110 for a baby take the probe set it on the spot where he basks leave 10 minutes then get the temp- UVB -- extremely important --- what are you using? Brand and bulb? T 5 or a T 8 look on the box or the bulb itself it will tell you- placement and distance is extremely important for effective UVB rays-- I am going to help you get his diet in order and getting him to eat his salads -- NO more buffet pellets please -- you need 3 temps in the tank 105-110 for basking ---- 90's in the middle of the tank--- 80's cool side --- what size is the tank please?

Krisgisv

Original Poster
Yeah he never ate the buffet pellets, mostly crickets lots of em, kale and mealworms those three. I have tried to give him other veggies he doesn’t eat em’ even the kale it’s a hit or miss depends his moods I guess. We have a 20 gallon. The bulbs I buy them at Petco on recommendation from an employee the brand is Exo-terra but I also have Zilla brand in at the moment. To be honest they seem to burn out very fast. So recommendations on that would be great.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The zilla is it a long tube fixture--? A 18 inch ? I really need to know what your using for a UVB he will not eat w/ incorrect basking temps and uvb---- please post a pic of the tank and lighting- we need to get this straightened out so he will start eating

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I don't like the look of that skin patch. The Vetericyn should help with bacteria buildup but I'm not sure that it would be effective against fungus. I'm not sure if that's what this is, but I'd probably add a topical antifungal like lamisil/turbinifine to the area but also try to have a vet check it out and test a skin sample to see what you're dealing with. If it does turn out to be fungal, a combination of topical cream and oral antifungal meds may help.

Krisgisv

Original Poster
Ok I’ll give the antifungal cream a try. Yes we are worried and trying to find a vet that will see a beardie with no such luck in my area. We have been also reading about yellow fungus.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes you need to order this and use the 5.0 bulb for your 20 gallon tank---
https://www.petmountain.com/product/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-high-output-terrarium-hood 24" fixture you will need this bulb when the tank is upgraded to a 40+ gallon
https://www.petmountain.com/product/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-100-uvb-high-output-bulbs 22" I would get this ordered ASAP
When you get it please post back on here so I can help you get the fixture placed- it will need to go into the tank -- I can post things to get it hung --it also hast be be a certain distance for the 5.0 bulb-

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
How long have you had the dragon and do your kids take it out often ? There's nothing that would cause scale rot so if you just got the dragon recently it was probably burned on a heat rock. If not, ask your kids to think real hard where they might have had the dragon that could have possibly caused that trauma.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom