Kidney problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moss is @18 months old. Thought he was a boy until 2 weeks ago when she laid 11 infertile eggs. Since then her health has gone downhill. She was given calcium to syringe feed daily and critical care food twice a day, also antibiotics for an infection in her tail. I was convinced she was eggbound after the 2 weeks of treatment saw no signs of getting better. She sleeps a lot, no energy, won't eat and a slight black beard. Took her back to vets today for xrays and bloods. She has a kidney problem and vet said it didn't look good. Her calcium levels and bone density look good. I heard it can take 3-4 weeks for beardies to show signs of recovery so have got more food, more antibiotics and allopurinal along with baths twice a day. She does drink in the bath and livens up at bath time, for a good half hour before going back to sleep. Am I doing the right thing? I feel like I am just watching her die sometimes as she was so active before the egg laying. I'm not even sure if advice is what I need, the vet seemed very knowledgeable....its just hard knowing if I am doing the right thing or prolonging the worst...is this something she is likely to recover from?

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
Mind posting the blood test results so our pros on here can look at it? She may had gotten dehydrated and caused the kidney issues. Hopefully it is reversible but only time will tell with another blood test after treatment. What kind/type of uvb are you using and how close can she get to it. Any screen or lens covering the uvb? I would get her some outside sunshine for at least 30 min a day if possible. Is the critical care the veggie based? You won't want to give her too much protein right now. You can also give squash baby food mixed with critical care. I wouldn't give up on her just yet till you know if they kidneys are permanently damaged. Hang in there.

Dragonfly0808

Original Poster
Thanks for your response. I didn't get results given to me, I can call them tomorrow though. Uvb is 36 inch (in 5ft viv) Acadia 10w. About 10 inches from basking spot plus I having basking bulb, no screens. She has been going outside daily as weather so nice (prob 4 times a day) for at least 30 mins...shade also offered. Don't know what food it is, it's called Emeraid critical care. Antibiotics are Marbocyl, 49m every other day.

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
So the uvb is a T8 I think? If so you should probably get that to where he can get within 6" and replace every 6 months. It would help to get those blood results when you can. Emeraid care should say if it's herbivore or carnivore? Or maybe look at the main ingredients?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry your girl isn't doing well.
I can take a look at the blood test results if you can get a copy of them. She could be just very
dehydrated. Egg laying does affect them, more than others.
Is she tolerating the Emeraid pretty well?
Definitely don't give up on her, they can be surprisingly resilient.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Dragonfly0808

Original Poster
I will get them today and post as soon as. Today she is very cold, doesn't seem to warm up at all. I don't want to give up but she is so lifeless and is pooing out the critical care food very soon after being given it.

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
Poor thing doesn't sound like she's doing too well. I would use a veggie based not the carnivore. Protein will make it harder on the kidneys. You need the herbivore one and/or squash or green bean baby food.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

What are the ingredients of the critical care carnivore care?
I think the protein intake should be lowered with her uric acid levels being so high.
You can get some alfalfa powder to mix in with some baby food, for a purine free protein
source to help supplement her.
How is she doing today?

Tracie

Dragonfly0808

Original Poster
Moss passed away this afternoon. Thank you all for the advice and just being there to talk. Keep up the good work, this forum is so helpful.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh no, I am so sorry to hear that Moss passed away. :cry: Geez, she was very ill.
We are all here for you. It's never easy to lose a beloved dragon.

Tracie

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
So sorry to hear about Moss :(
It could of been egg binding. If she reabsorbed eggs then she's taking all that protein in which messes up the kidneys. Nothing you could of done. So sorry for your loss.

Dragonfly0808

Original Poster
Thank you both for your kind words. I have a feeling it was egg binding, possibly a lack of calcium for the shells...but I am far from an expert. It must have been linked to the eggs though as she was fine before. There is so much to learn about them so it's great to have been given advice and support when I needed it. We have buried her in our garden. We will miss her always, even the little things like finding pieces of shed skin about the house! She had her own unique personality which we will never replace, however I am sure one day I may get another one. I think the hardest thing right now is the empty vivarium and that must be the same for those who have also lost their beloved beardie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom