gout show up in xray?

Status
Not open for further replies.

keith167

Hatchling Member
Our 1 yr old has a slightly swollen front leg and is limping. Got xray s at vet. Bones look healthy. Started to administer antibiotics in case it's an infection.
My question is: does gout show up in an xray?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The x-ray may show some swollen tissue but it's not a good way to detect gout. The best way to detect gout is through a blood test or through a culture of extracted fluid from the swollen area. Antibiotics may help with infection but not with gout. I'd have some fluid tested for both to see what you're dealing with. You can offer some dark cherry extract in the meantime because that will help reduce uric acid levels in case of gout and won't cause harm otherwise.

keith167

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":2qixmwju said:
The x-ray may show some swollen tissue but it's not a good way to detect gout. The best way to detect gout is through a blood test or through a culture of extracted fluid from the swollen area. Antibiotics may help with infection but not with gout. I'd have some fluid tested for both to see what you're dealing with. You can offer some dark cherry extract in the meantime because that will help reduce uric acid levels in case of gout and won't cause harm otherwise.

Ok thanks for the input. I will ask vet to test and start the dark cherry xtract. What are causes of gout?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm not sure of all the causes. Gout is urate crystal buildup in joints due to kidneys not processing uric acid properly. It may be caused by improper diet or genetics or possibly some other illness which is causing the kidneys to malfunction. It is treatable but usually a permanent condition from what I've seen.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Gout usually doesn't show up in x-rays, but on occasion can if the tophi build up is extreme enough.
The black cherry extract is helpful in breaking up uric acid if started early. How did they diagnose an infection, did they aspirate fluids from the area? Care needs to be taken when given antibiotics if gout is suspected because antibiotics will only make gout worse, not better.
Gout is caused by a multitude of issues. It can be from poor diet, lack of proper basking temperatures, over supplementation, chronic dehydration, or inbreeding.

Tracie

keith167

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So lucy is walking arpund and seems to be happy. Still has hard lump on arm between wrist and elbow. Its not fluid so nothing to test i guess. Vet doesnt k ow what it is...

ote="Drache613"]Hello,

Gout usually doesn't show up in x-rays, but on occasion can if the tophi build up is extreme enough.
The black cherry extract is helpful in breaking up uric acid if started early. How did they diagnose an infection, did they aspirate fluids from the area? Care needs to be taken when given antibiotics if gout is suspected because antibiotics will only make gout worse, not better.
Gout is caused by a multitude of issues. It can be from poor diet, lack of proper basking temperatures, over supplementation, chronic dehydration, or inbreeding.

Tracie[/quote]

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Has the swelling gone down at all?
They were not able to detect any broken bones on the x-ray, correct?
It could be the beginnings of gout but difficult to know for sure without some type of analysis.
You could go ahead & start her on Black cherry juice to help with breaking down the uric acid to see if that helps out at first before considering the medication route, next.
They could do a blood test to determine uric acid levels for help with diagnosing, too.

Tracie

keith167

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Drache613":31onz97h said:
Hello,

Has the swelling gone down at all?
They were not able to detect any broken bones on the x-ray, correct?
It could be the beginnings of gout but difficult to know for sure without some type of analysis.
You could go ahead & start her on Black cherry juice to help with breaking down the uric acid to see if that helps out at first before considering the medication route, next.
They could do a blood test to determine uric acid levels for help with diagnosing, too.

Tracie
Swelling has gone down slightly. Vet doesnt think gout based on her diet and overall health....Could gout start mid-arm, not at joint? How do we use the black cherry juice?

keith167

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Tracie

Swelling has gone down somewhat. Vet doesnt think gout based on her diet and overall health....Could gout start mid-arm, not at joint? How do we use the black cherry juice?
Thx

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Gout is strange sometimes. It can manifest in different ways & start above a joint sometimes yes. Though, most of the time it tends to start in the joint then build up.
The black cherry juice can be given daily, starting with a .5ml to 1ml for her. The swelling has gone down some then, that is great news! Maybe it is just a slight infection or calcium issues possibly, but not sure.
Is Lucy still on the antibiotic? Metabolic bone disease was ruled out too?

I hope she continues to get better.

Tracie

keith167

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Drache613":2gp0y7xs said:
Hello,

Gout is strange sometimes. It can manifest in different ways & start above a joint sometimes yes. Though, most of the time it tends to start in the joint then build up.
The black cherry juice can be given daily, starting with a .5ml to 1ml for her. The swelling has gone down some then, that is great news! Maybe it is just a slight infection or calcium issues possibly, but not sure.
Is Lucy still on the antibiotic? Metabolic bone disease was ruled out too?

I hope she continues to get better.

Tracie

Mbd was ruled out based on xray, diet and lights. Swelling doesn't seem like fluid, more like a small lump so vet says there's nothing to draw and test.
I will try black cherry juice since it seems it can't hurt.
I'm hopeful that she strained a ligament or muscle with a mischievous leap. She did, about a month ago, try to jump from the couch to a cabinet falling about 30 inches to the ground. Maybe we just didn't realize she was injured...

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is a large probability she hurt himself on the fall & that caused a lump on that area. If metabolic bone disease wasn't suspected from the x-ray & there were no broken bones, then hopefully it will just eventually heal up.
Has it gotten a little better now? Is she putting more weight on it also?
It sometimes does take awhile for an injury along with the symptoms to fully manifest itself.
I hope she is doing better soon!

Tracie

keith167

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Drache613":35brltcn said:
Hello,

That is a large probability he hurt himself on the fall & that caused a lump on that area. If metabolic bone disease wasn't suspected from the x-ray & there were no broken bones, then hopefully it will just eventually heal up.
Has it gotten a little better now? Is she putting more weight on it also?
It sometimes does take awhile for an injury along with the symptoms to fully manifest itself.
I hope she is doing better soon!

Tracie
Thanks Tracie

Yeah she's putting more weight on it. The vet had a radiologist look at xray as well. Mbd was ruled out.
I'm hopeful she will be back to normal soon...

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You are welcome! :D I am glad to hear that she seems to be getting better. Injuries do take time to heal up in them too but at least it doesn't appear to be metabolic bone related thankfully.
She will hopefully be back to 100% soon. :D
Do keep us posted on Lucy.

Tracie

keith167

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Tracie

I think lucy has swelling on one side of her spine in the middle of her back. I'm concerned again. Gonna call Vet again tomorrow. Not sure what to do...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom