Lucy is limping!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

keith167

Hatchling Member
Lucy our 1ish yr old is limping and favoring right foot. She leaped off the couch trying to get to another piece of furniture a few weeks ago but i can't for sure pinpoint that as being the injury.
5 weeks ago i replaced her 10.0 reptisun (it was time) with this bulb http://reviews.petco.com/3554/14564/zilla-zilla-slimline-desert-50-uvb-t8-fluorescent-fixture-reviews/reviews.htm as they were out of the preferred Reptisun bulbs.
When she started limping i immediately thought of MBD and returned that UVB and got another Reptisun T5 HO 10.0 bulb which is about 6 inches from where she hangs out when not basking.
We used to always dust her Dubias and horned worms w calcium but she has gotten picky and sometimes refuses that. We give her drops in water via syringe to supplement.
Her basking area is around 105 degrees and cooler spot is down to 80. shes seems to comfortably thermo regulate and she gaps often.
I'm hoping she has just hurt herself. Called vet who wants to see her. She suggested an xray. Will an xray show MBD? obviously it will show trauma.
I thank you in advance for your thoughts?

keith167

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Xray done. No MBD. No Bone fractures.
Swelling in leg could be muscular injury or infection. Vet is prescribing anti-inflammatory and antbiotic.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is good Lucy doesn't have metabolic bone disease or a fracture. It probably is just a sprain on the muscle, which happens fairly frequently.
Are you using a reflector on the light fixture for the T5 HO Reptisun 10 light? I was just checking because that is a little close if you are using a reflector & it should be more like 10 or so inches away for safety when using a reflector.
Which anti-inflammatory & antibiotic did they put her on? I am not sure she really needs an antibiotic though, but an anti-inflammatory is ok, for short term.

Tracie

keith167

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Tracie, Batryl and metacam are the meds...
Her uvb fixture is the reptisunT5 HO terrarium hood...your thoughts?

uote="Drache613"]Hello,

That is good Lucy doesn't have metabolic bone disease or a fracture. It probably is just a sprain on the muscle, which happens fairly frequently.
Are you using a reflector on the light fixture for the T5 HO Reptisun 10 light? I was just checking because that is a little close if you are using a reflector & it should be more like 10 or so inches away for safety when using a reflector.
Which anti-inflammatory & antibiotic did they put her on? I am not sure she really needs an antibiotic though, but an anti-inflammatory is ok, for short term.

Tracie[/quote]

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I would think the Reptisun hood has reflective backing. So, I would recommend moving the high output bulb just a little further away, just to help protect the eyes more. It is very high on the UVI at close range with a reflector. Can you get it to a 10 inch distance?

Tracie

keith167

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Drache613":dd1w5x92 said:
Hello,

I would think the Reptisun hood has reflective backing. So, I would recommend moving the high output bulb just a little further away, just to help protect the eyes more. It is very high on the UVI at close range with a reflector. Can you get it to a 10 inch distance?

Tracie
We actually took all items out of her enclosure (temporarily] to keep her from climbing. This leaves her about 10-12 inches from her uvb. I will maintain this distance when we set it back up...
Any thoughts on the meds?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok, that sound perfect then! How is Lucy doing today?
The anti-inflammatory should be fine, it is not too harsh on the system. Is it metacam that is being used for that one?
Which antibiotic is being used? If she doesn't really have an infection then I don't think she particularly needs that one though.
Has she eaten today?

Tracie

keith167

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Drache613":3k1aupz2 said:
Hello,

Ok, that sound perfect then! How is Lucy doing today?
The anti-inflammatory should be fine, it is not too harsh on the system. Is it metacam that is being used for that one?
Which antibiotic is being used? If she doesn't really have an infection then I don't think she particularly needs that one though.
Has she eaten today?

Tracie
She did not eat today. Water with calcium only.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh she didn't eat anything? Hopefully she isn't hurting any then & will eat soon.
Is she basking normally also? If she isn't warm enough she wont be interested in eating so just be
sure she basks for awhile each day.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

keith167

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Drache613":1fha8lh8 said:
Hello,

Oh she didn't eat anything? Hopefully she isn't hurting any then & will eat soon.
Is she basking normally also? If she isn't warm enough she wont be interested in eating so just be
sure she basks for awhile each day.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie
She ate today and yesterday. Also had water w calcium. Sat on my shoulder all day on thanksgiving. Seems happy and playful. Still limping and not putting weight on leg...

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

At least she ate & seems happy then. It does take time for them to heal after any type of injury, so hopefully it wont be too long until she isn't limping anymore. Are her colors good, no black bearding, etc?

Tracie

keith167

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Drache613":8llc867n said:
Hello,

At least she ate & seems happy then. It does take time for them to heal after any type of injury, so hopefully it wont be too long until she isn't limping anymore. Are her colors good, no black bearding, etc?

Tracie
Only. Black bearing when we annoy her, lol. She's seems pretty happy. Been hanging on my chest watching movies all night.
I'm hopeful she will stop limping soon...

keith167

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Tracie

Lucy seems happy. She's walking a lil easier, eating some roaches, etc.
Lump on arm still present tho. The vet did not mention gout. Would that have been visible via xray? Would the vet have been able to diagnose gout?

Thx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom