URGENT—sunken eyes and labored breathing

Status
Not open for further replies.
My four year old bearded dragon has been acting worrying lately, and I'm beginning to get concerned. Yesterday I noticed that his left nostril was closed—it didn't look like it was clogged, but like it had just sealed up. I found him this morning with sunken eyes, so I gave him water through a syringe. Last night he seemed to be eating fine, but he was still acting like he is now. He is in a forty gallon tank, with his UVB bulb on one side. I've had him since he was a hatchling, so this guy means a lot to me. I would really like help, because I am at a complete loss on what to do. :(

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....sorry that your buddy seems to be a bit off. Can you list the exact brand + type of lights you use, as well as what his set up is like ?

Kingofthecage

Original Poster
I use a zilla heat and basking light, and I'm not quite sure what you mean. It isn't a coil bulb, but rather the regular one.
As far as his cage goes, I have repti-carpet on the floor. On the left side is where his lamp is, along with his hammock and his thermometer to measure the temperature. On the right side I keep his water dish, food dish, and another hammock that he sleeps in.
Update— he was eating earlier, but still is not drinking willingly. He was scratching to get out of his cage when I walked by, so I took him out. He's more active than this morning, but still will just try to fall asleep once he's out. He immediately will search for a dark place if he isn't in one.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
So is is breathing more normal as well ? That was probably from the clogged nostril but usually nothing serious unless it's constant. Has he ever brumated before ? He may be looking for a place to crash....some dragons do a lot of scratching around the tank as they seek a good spot for their dormant period. I imagine that the Zilla uvb bulb has been O.K for him if that's what you used for 4 years. Som of the Zilla fixtures had a plastic shield blocking the uvb rays.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The Zilla light, it is just a basking light, correct? Which UVB are you using, a Zilla also? If so, how old is it?
What are the temperatures in the tank & how often do you give supplements for him?
It sounds like he could be thinking about brumating possibly. They tend to start slowing down this time of year.
Do you have any pictures of him just so we can see his condition?

Tracie

Kingofthecage

Original Poster
Willow's breathing has gone back to normal, so I assume it just had something stuck in it. He's shedding on his head, so I think that was what went on. He brumated last year, but it started late. the bulb doesn't have a plastic covering over it, I checked last night, and his basking temps are at usual (98-108° F ).

Tracie—
Yes, it's just the basking light. I recently got it, probably a month or so ago. He gets his calcium supplements every two/three days dusted on his crickets, and he gets D3 twice a week. I'll send pictures this afternoon once I get back from my classes, for sure!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I think you forgot to upload any pictures. LOL
So, Willow is breathing better now? Maybe he had some blocked up nose plugs? I hope his shedding is done now.
He will most likely brumate around the same time this year, too.
Is the UVB Zilla also or just the basking light?

Tracie

Kingofthecage

Original Poster
I think I did. But they should be on the bottom of this post, hopefully!

His breathing has gone back to normal, and most of his head has finished shedding. He is starting brumation for sure, because now he just curls up in his corner beneath the hammock and sleeps.
83533-4727983126.jpg
83533-8960212948.jpg
83533-3270831965.jpg
83533-8714840738.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Willow is very handsome! :D He looks quite comfortable resting. So he is breathing better now?
That is great to hear, so it was most likely due to his nostrils being clogged up from shedding. Maybe he can sleep & brumate better now that he can breathe normally.

Tracie

Kingofthecage

Original Poster
Thank you! :) His breathing is totally fine again, and I just now put him in his cage to leave him alone for some time. The only times Ill be bothering him are to feed him or give him water occasionally. No more cuddles from my sweet boy for this winter!
I find the generics to be adorable. Not to mention that they aren't super expensive (pancake, my newest one, I paid a bit too much for), so the extra money can go to making them happier.

- Cat

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Cat,

That is great he is back to his normal self now. :D Are you going to just let him sleep for awhile too?
You may find that he will come out from time to time most likely, just to see you & see what is going on that he might be missing! LOL
Let us know how things are going.

Tracie

Kingofthecage

Original Poster
I take him out, but generally try to let him sleep. I feed him and bathe him, but he generally just wants to sleep. If I take him out, he will lose interest in me and go sleep in some corner he finds. That's from previous experience from the last few years, but he always is awake for food!
I'll keep you updated on him for sure. :)

-cat

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Cat,

That is quite alright if you take him out to hold him & let him sleep. I am sure he loves that! :D He goes to find a corner just to sleep? That is typical, what a crazy lizard. Hopefully he wont be sleepy for too long then. As long as his weight is stable then he should be just fine.
OH of course, they wont usually pass up food. LOL

Tracie

Kingofthecage

Original Poster
When I watch movie so, he absolutely loves to curl up beneath the blanket and sleep. He does his little wriggly thing to get comfortable, then plops down to sleep. I'm monitoring his weight closely, but so far he has been in the clear. He easily puts on weight, so it's quite hard to keep him from becoming too overweight, actually!

-cat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom