Help!!! My baby beardie hasnt been eating?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkontacos

My 4-5 month old beardie hasn't been eating her veggies and only 1-2 crickets a day. Some days she'd go without eating. Everything else seems alright, she is active, she poops everyday. She has been losing a lot of weight recently. Its been going on for about a month and i've been force feeding her fruits at least a couple times a week or she would not touch her fruits and veggies. I give her a bath once a week. All the crickets i feed her are dusted with calcium powder and they are gut loaded with mustard greens and oats. As I am working in the day, i leave about 2-3 crickets in a low dish for her but she never eats them but I feed her in the morning.

She used to be able to munch down 6-7 crickets in one sitting but it suddenly stopped one day? I thought she was about to shed but its been a month and no signs of shedding. Her poop is nice and solid with excess liquid. I water her every other day.

Vivarium:

UV light : Solar glo
Highest temp: 110F
Lowest temp: 85F
Lights are left on for about 10 hrs a day.
Greens include: Endives, mustard greens, bell peppers. Occassional fruit: blueberries, strawberries and papaya

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. If she's loosing weight that's not good. How are you taking the temps? Does she bask at all? I'd start feeding her by syringe stage one baby food like chicken or turkey with squash or sweet potatoes. Idk if the solar glo is that good. Sometimes certain lights bother them.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, what are you measuring the temperatures with, a temp gun or a digital probe? The basking can be in the 95-110 range but on the cooler end it needs to be a little lower, around 78-82 or so.
What wattage is the Solar Glo, the 125watt or the 160watt & how close is it to her?

Do you have any pictures of her?
Her diet looks very good. You could consider getting a fecal done on her to be sure she doesn't have worms or parasites present which are causing weight loss.

Tracie

pkontacos

Original Poster
I measure her temps with a infrared digital thermometer and it's a 125W bulb! The bulb it approximately 20cm away from the top of her basking area :)

Yes she does bask! Quite often actually, and she's sykll active. I bring her out as often as I can. ill try to get some chicken baby food, I haven't seen any in the supermarkets here so far but I'll continue looking! So far I've given her a little bit of prune baby food and bought some carrot baby food.

Fecal sample wise, I don't have a vet here that specializes in reptiles! I've asked a couple and they said they don't see reptiles..

I'll post a pic when I'm back home! She doesn't look totally emancipated but she has definitely lost some weight. Her tail is a lot less squishy.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Yeah she is thin. I can definitely see her hip bones. Hopefully if you can get some baby food that'll put some weight on.

pkontacos

Original Poster
Hello! Just an update, i managed to get my hands on some stage 2 organic chicken stew baby food. Its got sweet potatoes and apples, chicken and brown rice in it. Im not sure if the brown rice is any good for Luna but she seems to really love it and has actually put on a little bit of weight.

This morning she had one cricket and refused more. The rest of her meal was supplemented with baby food. She refused her crickets again in the evening but finished about 2 ml of baby food before refusing to have any more.

iyan137

Hello,

I have such a similar problem. I've only got mine a week so maybe too early for me to be worried but still can't help it. Like yours, mine only eat 1-2 roaches a day and just bits of his greens but that's it. Other than that no apparent health issues, basking well, poops fine etc. I was wondering how'd you find syringe feeding them the chicken feed? Does this seem to help? Thank you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom