I finally got my beardie!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

arock1

:D I finally got a beardie. He is a little over a year and a little under a foot long. I have only had him for a week but he loves us and we love him. I am unexperienced in haing reptiles as pets seeing that my dad is deathly afraid of the little cuties :cry: But I will probably have many questions to ensure the health of my new baby, Stitch. Although so far I think that we are doing okay. Teh only thing is that I have not been able to find any info on shedding. Anyone willing to give me advice I would definately appreciate it. Thank you!

ReptileMom

Hatchling Member
he sounds a little small for his age. do you know what his living conditions were before you got him? what kind of set up do you have now? what was it you wanted to know about shedding?

arock1

Original Poster
He was in a 15 gal. tank before, thats why the previous owner wanted to give him up, also because he wasnt being handled. We have a 46 gal. aquarium and have set up rocks and logs so that he has 3 different levels to climb on.
How long should I expect him to shed for?
Is there any special needs that should be met to ensure proper shedding?
Should I be misting him everyday during shedding?
His appetite during shedding has been very large, is this normal and should I feed him as much as I normally would?
As far as handling during shedding, is it okay?
Does he require more or less heat during shedding?
Im sorry I have so many questions, but I am used to arachnids and with them their molting time is very critical and sensitive, so I am probably more worried than I should be. He seems to be doing just fine as it is, he still begs to come out and still has his ferocious appetite. And I read on here that some shed in segments, well he started with his underbelly and thn shed his arm, so I guess thats normal. But his beard ahs turned black, is that going to be the next to shed?
Thank you so much for your help, I relly appreciate it!

ReptileMom

Hatchling Member
you don't really have to change anything during this time. misting everyday will help, so will baths. you only need to worry if they have an area that seems to not want to shed on it's own. all beardies are different as far as how long it takes, if it seems like the dragon is having a hard time with it or the skin is hard you may need to help him out. it's great that he has a good appetite. if anything, alot of beardies lose their appetite during shedding. so i say, if he wants to eat, feed him.

arock1

Original Poster
:D Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it, once Stich fully sheds I will post some pics.

glowgirl

welcomefish.gif

:p Hi honey and welcome to the room ... If I can be of help in ANY way ... don't hesitate ... REMEMBER ... We're all in this together :wink:

As for shedding ... It's as ReptileMom say's every one of our little darling's react differently to shedding ... soooooooo ... Just relax and enjoy :wink:

Big Hug's ...... Glowgirl xxx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom