About to take the beardie plunge...but from where?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drw46

Am the dad of an 8 yr. old boy eager to become a beardie owner (yes, I'll be close by to advise and likely manage!!). I've read what appear to be the most informative links, and will certainly pick up a book. My big question is whether to go to a local pet store or have a beardie shipped from a reputable breeder (there don't appear to be any near me...I'm in Boston Metro West). It's hard to believe the stress of shipping wouldn't take years off them!

I'm planning the following set-up:
- 55 gallon tank (can I put jr. in here, or do I need a 20 gallon to start?)
- Reptisun 10 for UVB
- Zoo med 75W basking or equivilant
- Climbing branches I find, that I will disinfect
- Shelf liner for substrate
- No under tank heater

I'll be checking in oftern, and appreciate the insight...this looks like a graet community!

Ozzy's Mom

Juvie Member
Hello and welcome :wave:

Sounds like you're on your way to a great set up. Something you might want to think about is setting up a basking area with rock, slate or tile. Little ones like branches, but a non-porous surface absorbs the heat well and helps with digestion when they bask.

Also....you'll need to get repti-cal (for use 5X/week) and herptivite (for use 2X/week).

I definitely recommend going with a beardie from a reputable breeder....even if you have to ship. This will ensure a much better chance of getting a healthy beardie.....and you will know his exact age. Pet stores often keep their beardies in less than ideal conditions, rarely know their true age, and often have missing toes or injuries......and usually they've received them from someone who has shipped them.....so you really haven't avoided the whole shipping thing anyway.

While you're reading, you'll probably want to check out: http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html It's a great site that I still refer to often.

Good luck. I can't wait to see the pics of your new little one.

Superman8411

Hatchling Member
I just got Dash here from Dachiu.com and I'm VERY HAPPY I had him shipped....he has great coloring and over all just a really cool dragon...likes to be held and takes baths...i think i even have him potty trained and i've only had him since the 25th! they helped me out with any and all questions over the phone...he is 2 months old and about 10inches....before i got him i bought one from petco on the 11th of this month and it only lived for a week after rushing it off to the vet...so i would check out there site that have some really cool dragons.....also i have a retiglo 8.0....60watt basking bulb...paper towel down and a piece of wood i boiled and a little platform i made for him....he is happy and in a 10gal for the time being

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h73/superman8411/IMG_3411.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h73/superman8411/IMG_3437.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h73/superman8411/IMG_3432.jpg

drw46

Original Poster
Thanks for the input!! Okay, I'll explore the breeder route (especially as Ozzy's Mom pointed out they are shipped to the pet store!). Also, thanks for the basking spot idea.

I did come across Dachiu.com and will go back and re-visit based upon superman8411's recommendation (please tell me the 8411 has special meaning and that there aren't 8410 other supermen on this site!!). I've als seen Georgia Breeders mentioned a few times.

Haven't really researched food yet, so will likely be back with questions on that as well.

momofonebeardie

BD.org Addict
ANother great breeder is Russ (crazyhorse). He has some beautiful babies. If you look under the for sale section you will see that he took some new pictures in the last few days.
He is wonderful to deal with and an all around great guy. He also really cares about the beardies..

Ozzy's Mom

Juvie Member
If I was you, I'd start up a thread under the general section and ask about breeders close to your home state. As hot as it's been everywhere this summer, probably the shorter the trip, the better.

That link that I referenced in the last post should tell you a lot about different things to feed for salads...etc....and what not to feed and why. It also lets you know that avacados and rhubarb are both toxic to beardies.

Little guys will need live feeders 3 times a day. Most people start with crickets, but you can also feed silkworms and phoenix worms. Superworms are for later....when your dragon gets to be about 15" (due to the hard shell and digestion difficulties). I know some people feed roaches, but I have never looked into it and am not sure if you can feed them to babies or not.

Usually crickets are widely available which makes them popular as a feeder. You will want to feed "pinhead" size to a baby. Never feed anything bigger than the space between your beardie's eyes to prevent impaction. When feeding, you let the beardie eat as many as he wants to consume in a 15 minute period. Never leave crickets in with your dragon (no matter what age he is) because crickets will chew on your dragon and leave nasty sores. Sometimes it's easiest to feed in a separate rubbermaid container so the crickets can't hide. Also if your dragon has a hard time catching the crickets, place them (the crickets) in the fridge for about 5 minutes and then feed. This slows them down.

I've never fed silkworms, but many here say their dragons love them.....and there isn't the same risk of impaction as other feeders. I've also heard this about phoenix worms too. Though both these feeders usually have to be ordered online. Also, if you feed Phoenix worms, they are very high in Calcium. I've read that if you feed them you won't have to dust them with the calcium powder. If you choose to go that route....look into it a little more...since I'm not comfortable telling you not to dust w/o knowing more about it.

Never feed your beardie mealworms.....even though almost every pet store says they are a good feeder. Their nutritional value is poor compared to the other feeders and their chitin shell is very hard to digest....often causing impaction.

Lightning bugs/fireflies are toxic to beardies. There have been several beardies on the board pass away the last couple weeks due to accidentally ingesting them. As far as I know, eating one is basically a death sentence.....with up to 2 hours of suffering before dying.

Hope this helps....just let us know if you have any other questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom