Bearded Rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilentLore

I would never buy a new pet on a whim, but when someone is getting rid of theirs for free including set up simply because the new "soon to be wife" wants it out (lame) My husband and I said we would take it.

It will be coming home tonight, I have many Corn Snakes but I know very little about Bearded Dragons, many years ago I had a Savannah Monitor, so off I go to do some heavy duty reading and research.

I just wanted to share my excitement! :blob5:

I'll post pics of it once it is all settled in and hopefully I can figure out the sex so that I can give it a good name... well the husband is going to name it... so we'll see what we end up with. LOL!

Bianca

Juvie Member
Congratulations and welcome to the forum! :)

Have you seen the dragon, it is in good health? How old is it? Once you get him/her, let us know what kind of setup you've got.

I think it's great that you are taking it in. Good luck, and any questions you may have will most likely be answered on here. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this forum who have cared for beardies for a long time!

Soul Owl

Hatchling Member
it's pretty bad when the wife wants to get rid of the husband's animals! I mean, dragons live in cages, so it's pretty irrational of her. at least you can take him in.

welcome! be sure to post pictures when you get the chance!

Hypancistrus

Hatchling Member
SilentLore! You came and joined us here!! :lol:

:wave: Welcome to the Beardie Forums- you will find everything you need to know here.

Lauren

SilentLore

Original Poster
UGH! :roll: I'm still waiting here at 12 at night for the Beardie to arrive. I was told he was on his way... didn't know he'd be delivered by the person so late. But well worth the wait that's for sure.

Only updates I have is that they had no idea the sex, no name... thats about all the history I got, and my friend who picked it up and is bringing it here said its HUGE... so I'm assuming its an Adult, course with that I can't with any certianty determine age can I?

Blah... whelp... off to more waiting, it should be here soon, course pictures will have to wait till tomorrow. :wink:

SilentLore

Original Poster
YAY... well almost 1am and we got our Beardie Rescue.

I no longer feel sorry for the guy who's soon to be wife was making him get rid of the Beardie. The tank looked like it had never been cleaned, the bottom was covered in dead and live meal worms, crusty dried up greens and the water was gross etc. So this indeed was a rescue, also the tip of her tail is missing and blackened at the tip and looks terrible ;( We're going to see how she does with regular care, but if that tail doesnt look better after awhile we're going to take her to a vet just to make sure its ok.

Here are some photo's of our new baby. It was brought to us with no name or any idea of gender or age. I checked and she is a girl and we named her Jade. As for age... all I can say is that she's an adult. Her tank is WAY too small for an adult Beardie, all she is in is a 20gal tall with a log and a water dish and food dish. We are going to get her a 55-60 gallon today. She is going to live it up in this house, she'll never be neglected again, as it seems she was quite neglected in her previous home. She is very inquisitive however and loves her attention of course.

Ok... back to the photo's... The first pic is when we just got her here and took her out of her nasty tank, my husband held her while I cleaned her tank throughly. I don't think she looks so well in this first pic.

Jade1.jpg

Here she is this morning, after having had a nice bath last night and healthy spray this morning and after a night in a nice clean home she looks MUCH happier!

Jade2.jpg

Jade3.jpg
[/img]

Ozzy's Mom

Juvie Member
Hello and welcome :wave:

Did you get your new dragon yet? Hopefully everything went smoothly for you!

You've found a great place on the web to find info. When I first got Ozzy someone sent me this link... http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html
It's a gives a lot of good info...and I still refer to it often.

Good luck with your new friend. I'm sure you'll love him/her. They are every bit as affectionate as a snake...often times more....and they have more personality than most any animal you can imagine.

Ozzy's Mom

Juvie Member
Oops...I see I didn't let the whole page load before I posted.

What a lucky beardie girl to get you for her new owner. Sounds like the new wife to be did the smart thing.

Just from the conditions you mention I'd consider taking her in to a good herp vet to get a fecal done. I may be wrong, but I'm guessing parasites are a good possibility if her living conditions were really that bad.

Also, I'm a fairly new beardie owner and don't have any experience with tail issues, but I've read a lot on this forum. From what I've read, usually a black tail like that means it's dead, though sometimes it can be from retained sheds. I'm guessing it is probably the former.....since it looks like she's lost the tip due to an injury. From what I understand, this can cause infections and usually needs to be taken care of with amputation.

You may want to post on the health or ER board to get advice on this issue from others with experience in this area.

I'm sorry she was living in such rough conditions, but very happy she found someone to love her!!

FabGyrl

Sub-Adult Member
To be honest he/she dosnt look too bad!! Nice and chubby :lol:... I rescued Lucy 3 weeks ago and she is pretty tiny!! Her cage was also discusting (33 gallon) and she had a heat rock... no UVB... and nothing to climb on :evil: It looked to me like she lived off mostly carrots and (once a week ~ crikets) I have no idea how old she is or too much about her health yet... I have been giving her a variety of greens with squashes, super/king worms and wax worms... I have been giving her some crikets but they are kind of a pain... After keeping them in my house I think I will stick with the weekly thing :roll:
Congratulations on your rescue and good for you for doing that!! 8)
I am sure you will find all of the answers you are looking for (and then some)... I am truly on info overload from my three weeks here!! :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom