Just stopping in to say hello

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got my new bearded on Sunday - he is a baby about the size of your pointer finger and I love him not sure of the sex - he is eating his pinheads and greens and a little bit of crushed carrot for a snack also he had a worm at each feeding - I have reviewed your website and found it very informative and think it is great - if anyone has any advice for a firstimer please feel free to respond --- He is in a 20 gal long and seems to love all the extra space :D

pepsibrat39

Original Poster
Ozzy's Mom":875ad said:
Hello and Welcome! :wave:

Hi Thank you - I am so excited yet nervous at the same time - I want to make sure I am doing everything okay - The last 3 days I have spent all my free time reading about them and trying to make sure my little guy is happy - so far he seems good. When or what size is he considered a hatchling, then juvential ? I got him at a reputable pet store and was told he was a juvi but he just seems so small ??

Also do you know ? as i have read mixed articles do you dust the crickets each time or only every other day ? The pet store told me each and that is what i have been doing however some articles say that is to much?

Any advice id be greatful, Thanks

How many do you have and how long have you been doing the beardie thing ?

Ozzy's Mom

Juvie Member
Oh shoot..... I just saw your post, but I'm on my way out of the house. I'll pm you this evening and answer your questions as best I can.

shadi11

BD.org Addict
I have 4 beardeds and have been into for the last 8 months. i have owned reptiles however for the last 16 years..
age is what determines the juvi or hatchling. did they tell you how old he was??
i dust one feeding a day every day. the second feeding i dont dust. some people dust all feedings.

pepsibrat39

Original Poster
Tami - I'll look forward to hearing from you as well,

Laura - thanks for the advice I did it this way today and he did not seem to mind them not dusted - he is about the size of my pointer finger and when I asked how old he/she was about they said a baby and needs pinheads but other than that not to sure ?

He seems very alert active and loves to take everything in/tils his head and loves to chase his crickets - but he seems small I just want to make sure what he is juvi or hatchling?

Any advice greatly appreciated

shadi11

BD.org Addict
so the whole body from nose to tail is about 3 inches then maybe 4??
he could be a couple weeks old if that small.. depends on care at the store. he could be a month or 2 old if he didnt have good care or enough food there

pepsibrat39

Original Poster
Thank you - he seems in good health - skin texture and color is good - eyes look bright and very alert - there are multiple listings on how many crickets to feed and how many times - what do you recommend?

Thank you for your help

Kath

pepsibrat39

Original Poster
also one of my friends that has them uses cali sand and the other uses contact paper the store sold me lizzard litter but after reading about it i emptyed the tank and he is in papertowls but want to get something he can see the crickets better with what have u had good luck with?

shadi11

BD.org Addict
shelf liner is good.. i dont normally have a problem with paper towel though a couple get under it. but not that many and you can get them out from under easy enough..
how many crickets a day.. well.. for a baby your size feed 2-3 times a day crickets no bigger than the space between their eyes.
when i had Tiny as a baby he was 3 inches. i fed 3 times a day til he was 2 months old he was 2 weeks when i got him. then i fed 2 times a day.. i mostly do 2 times for all..
Drache. hes a hungry one.. eats me out of a house.. he will tell me when hes hungry.. he paces.. and then stares at me.. so some times 3 times a day for him.. normally they can eat anywhere from 30 crickets a day to 100 sometimes more.. Drache can eat 200 a day every day.. it depends on the dragon..
the 2 girls eat from 50-80 a day..

Ozzy's Mom

Juvie Member
Sorry I got home so late tonight.....but it looks like shadi answered everything. Since I'm already here, I guess I'll post instead of the pm.

I got my beardie as an adult, but from everything I've read....it says to dust once a day with calcium for five days a week and once a day for two days a week with calcium powder. In babies I'm not sure if it'll hurt to dust more, but I did have a few problems with Ozzy when I first got him and the vet thought I might have been over supplementing. I had thought I was supposed to dust every feeder.

It's pretty hard to tell how old your little one is. Normally I'd guess 3weeks to a month, but if you got him from a pet store with poor husbandry.....he could be up to a couple months old.

Really, age isn't as important in feeding as just knowing that you shouldn't feed anything bigger than the space between your beardies eyes to help prevent impaction. For his size, the pinhead crickets should be good.

I've only been doing the beardie thing since May. However, I've read every article and care sheet I can get my hands on... The only advice I give is the same as what I've read and been told in this forum. I know some of it conflicts often.....but I won't offer advice unless it's something that the majority of what I read agrees on. If it's questionable....I either won't answer, or I'll be sure to let you know the info is debatable.

I'm not sure if you've had a chance to check out this site, but it's a great one. I still refer to it often:
http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html

pepsibrat39

Original Poster
Thank you both so much you have helped put my mind at ease and let me know there are people out there I can go to - as I am not confident that all pet stores know as some do but others have a young kid working part time that might know a little - I just dont want to over feed him - or get him sick Im so attached to him and want to provide the best possible enviroment and care thank you so much for responding so promptly and with great information - I looked at the link you both provided and found it will be a great guide and offered alot more then the one I had already -- I am trying to highlight important stuff and make a little binder - anything else you can think of let me know - I greatly appreciate it - I have been reading like crazy but some contradict each other so this is a great place to go where u know you are talking to someone that has them and is more familar with what you are going through - again thank you - hope you both are enjoying yours - I cant wait to watch mine grow - :D

Kath

Ozzy's Mom

Juvie Member
pepsibrat39":3df04 said:
Thank you both so much you have helped put my mind at ease and let me know there are people out there I can go to -

You're very welcome....however, this is only true for myself when I'm completely awake....lol I see a mistake in my last post.

I got my beardie as an adult, but from everything I've read....it says to dust once a day with calcium for five days a week and once a day for two days a week with calcium powder.

This was supposed to say:

I got my beardie as an adult, but from everything I've read....it says to dust once a day with calcium for five days a week and once a day for two days a week with vitamin (herptivite) powder.

shadi11

BD.org Addict
:D I enjoy mine.. all 4 of them. sometimes they worry me like crazy and sometimes everyone seems fine..
if i were you i would try to find a good reptile vet near you just in case. maybe in a couple weeks have a fecal run to make sure your new baby dont have any parasites.. thats my main recommendation for new beardeds. I get all of mine checked 2 weeks to a month after i get them. unless they are a rescue then i get them checked sooner..
check this site.. http://www.herpvetconnection.com or the arav. http://www.arav.com/USMembers.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom