Just got my first Beardie!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanan

Hey there! :wave: We just brought home today our first bearded dragon (first reptile also!) He (or she!) is just a baby. Not sure how old. About 4-5 inches long. We set up a nice home for him. We all hope he likes it. He seems to enjoy the limbs to climb on so far. I am just afraid the temp will get too high.
The pet store lady said I should feed him every other day but I read on this site feed the young ones 2-3 times a day. Do I just toss some crickets in there or a few at a time? I totally have no clue!! I really need to read up on this!!! Any suggestions for a name? Maybe I should find out if it is a boy or girl first. I appreciate any advice!! :D

Hanan

Ozzy's Mom

Juvie Member
hanan":9b9cd said:
Hey there! :wave: We just brought home today our first bearded dragon (first reptile also!) He (or she!) is just a baby.

Hello and welcome :wave:

He (or she!) is just a baby. Not sure how old. About 4-5 inches long. We set up a nice home for him. We all hope he likes it. He seems to enjoy the limbs to climb on so far. I am just afraid the temp will get too high.

Sounds like your beardie may only be a few weeks old....though it could be older. How fast they grow depends a lot on their care and conditions of their home.

How hot are your temps? The basking area should be between 105-115F. From everything I've read here, I think younger beardies need basking temps closer to 115. You should also have a cool side at about 85F. Beardies also need UVB light. Some more seasoned posters can tell you which UVB is best.

The pet store lady said I should feed him every other day but I read on this site feed the young ones 2-3 times a day. Do I just toss some crickets in there or a few at a time? I totally have no clue!! I really need to read up on this!!!

I'm fairly new to beardie ownership and Ozzy is nearly a year old, but I'm pretty sure the info you were given is wrong. From everything I've read, young beardies are supposed to be fed 2-3 times a day. You should let them eat as many crickets as they can consume in a 10-15 minute period at each feeding. Be sure not to leave crickets in with your beardie as they can actually chew on your beardie and cause nasty sores. Also, make sure the crickets are no bigger than the space between your beardie's eyes so he will be less likely to develop impaction problems. Also, you should be dusting crickets with rep-cal or something similar once a day.

You can also feed some worms. Phoenix worms are very high in calcium and good for growing beardies. I'll leave some other suggestions to more experienced owners, but I do know you're not supposed to feed mealworms. They are difficult to digest and cause impaction problems.

I totally have no clue!! I really need to read up on this!!! Any suggestions for a name? Maybe I should find out if it is a boy or girl first. I appreciate any advice!! :D

You might want to wait on a name for a short time since beardies can have some unique personalities. A lot of times after spending time with your beardie you will come up with the perfect name. Knowing the sex might help too.

I'm sure a lot of other members will respond and give you more advice than I've given, but the care sheets on this site are also very good sources of information.

Usually when you post with questions other posters will ask a bunch of information so they can help you out. Usually they will ask:

What size tank or viv?
What is the basking temp?
What type of UVB or MVB bulb you use?
What temp on the cool side?
How old is your beardie?
What do you feed him and how often?
How often do you mist or bathe your beardie?
What type of calcium and vitamin supplements do you use?
How often do you use them?
What type of substrate is he on?****

****The substrate issue is a widely debated topic here. However, I think just about everyone agrees that calci-sand/reptile sand is very harmful to beardies (yes, this is the stuff the pet store usually tells you to purchase). From what I've read, it's a lot like the cat litter that gets wet and clumps together....so when baby beardie ingests it from catching crickets, it will form hard clumps and be impossible to digest. This can cause impaction and even death. Most people agree that non-adhesive shelf liner or newspaper is best for babies. After your beardie is about a year old, you can use clean, sifted playsand (like at home depot) if you want a sand substrate. It can still cause impaction, but is much safer than the calci sand.

You'll find a lot of great people here that are all very knowlegable about beardie care. If you have any specific questions, just ask. I hope I helped a little.

barti1

Gray-bearded Member
Sounds like ozzy's mom covered mostly everything, but there's still sopme stuff I need to ask, do you havew a thermo (digi)? you should be feeding him as much as hge will eat within a 10-15 minute period, and you should be feeding him 2-3x a day, he will proabbly reach 75 crix a day. do you have any supplements? What is your subtrate? like ozzy said, I would wait another couple of weeks/months to see what kind of personality he/she has, an dwhat sex he/she is. how big is your viv? Are you offering any greens? Are you offering any worms? If so what kind?

Welcome to the forum!

hanan

Original Poster
No worms yet. The temp in the cage is 95-100. So far he has only eaten 4-5 crickets and that was this morning. He didn't eat the greens or carrots I gave him and I don't think he has drank any water. The pet store said they love to be misted with water. I have done that a few times. He doesn't seem to mind it. I have 2 types of vitamins from the pet store. I have to get rid of the vitasand in the cage and put one of those green carpets. I guess the pet store was wrong about the sand since you all say it is harmful. I will trust you guys instead of them. I guess I will keep an eye on him and see how it goes these first few days. So feed hiim every day, 2-3 times a day? Just want to make sure. Pet store said every other day is what they did.
Thanks for all your help!!

Chris

BD.org Addict
while your dragon is small it will eat and poo ALOT, so you might wanna condiger non adhesive shelf liner instead fo the carpet cos it'll be HEAPS easier to clean,..!! that carpet takes froever to dry,.!!

hot side temps shoud be between 100-110, cool side temps need to be around 80, he needs a cool side to cool down otherwise he'll overheat.
which means the tank needs to be big enough to allow that.

petstores are wrong about alot of things, if it wasnt for this forum and teh info available thru it, my girls wouldnt be half as healthy and happy as they are now.

as Ozzys mum said, crickets will eat your beardie, so make sure theres none left in the tank, if you think you missed some, leave some salad in overnight and they SHOULD nibble ont that instead. best off egttign them all out though or feeding in a different [place.

have you tried baths?

http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html

and heres teh salad list incase you dont already have it. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom