New :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildntink

We just got a new baby bearded dragon from petco. him (not sure) is about 7 inches long and very colourful. got him in a 30 gallon tank for now going to build a custom cage for him, got him on repti carpet. he has a rock, grapevine and stump to climb up to get close to heat. what should i be feeding him?

Dragon1.jpg

Dragon2.jpg

ChrisCR261

Gray-bearded Member
You can feed him crickets, silkworms, phoenix worms the occasional wax worm (high in fat, only a few a week or so) and veges around that size, I may be missing some stuff. Til they are a little older they may not eat many veges but it's still a good idea to put some in the cage in the morning.

There's also beardie bites and some other dry food you can toss in with the salad but I don't know much about any of those so someone else should be able to help.

Heres a good link for beardie food: http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html

As well as that you need to dust with calcium powder and multivitamins, make sure the calc powder has D3 added.

barti1

Gray-bearded Member
Crix, silkies, pheonixworms are good staples, waxworms are a good treat, but should only be fed once a week. You should also be offering veggies, he may not eat them (at first), but just keep offering, here's a link for good veggies, also do you have any supplements? Rep-can is what most of us use here, but you should have mulivitamin (blue label) and calcium (pink label). Do you have a UV light? Forgot to mention you should be feeding him/her as many as he can eat within a 10-15 minute period, good luck! BTW what are his temps? Do you have a digi thermo or stick thermo?

Welcome to he forum!

wickdinnocence

Hatchling Member
welcome! you will learn so much here and become hopelessly addicted to beardies, this forum, and the funny and wonderful things everyone says here!

wildntink

Original Poster
yes we have a uvb and uva light but a heat lamp getting a che today the cool side is right around 77f. and the warm is right not is 94 but he just got woke up about 15 mins ago so still kinda night temps. :) right now we have jurassi cal from out iguna should we be using some other cal? i am getting the che, and mutlivit today

Sekhautet

BD.org Sicko
Welcome! Remember to feed him live prey that is no longer than the space between his eyes to avoid impaction! 8)

wildntink

Original Poster
they had a can of silkworms at the pet store i am not sure if they are freezedied or not anyone know about them

Sekhautet

BD.org Sicko
The Exoterra ones? Those are fine to feed, if you can get them to eat, but live prey is still better for every day. A lot of people keep the canned food as treats or for emergencies when they run out of live feeders. 8)

Sekhautet

BD.org Sicko
wildntink":c8ae3 said:
where can we get live ones? he is eating crikets and trying to get them collard greens :)

I don't use live silkies, so I'm not sure. I know that Cantdudallas on here sells them. You could try her or try posting in the food forum about good silkie breeders. 8)

Sekhautet

BD.org Sicko
wildntink":51daa said:
so your beardie eats non live silk worms? i will have to get them and try :) thank you

Tatsu won't eat the canned food, period. I tried so I could keep it on hand for emergencies when I ran out of live feeders, but he wouldn't bite. :lol: :lol: Live prey is definitely more interesting and better as a daily feeder for your guy. So I would only give the canned as a treat now and then. 8) My guy is an adult, so I have him on a superworm staple diet. Before that he was on crickets. That's what I raised him on as a hatchling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom