New Beardie Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotty

My family is excited about the new addition to the family. We brought home a new little beardie a couple weeks ago. I have been reading through the posts and have already gleaned a lot of helpful information.

We were very worried at first that our poor guy/gal (not sure yet) ate really well the first couple nights, but then its appetite dropped to nothing. We were going to take him into the vet to see if he had a parasite. We noticed now though that he has been shedding, that combined with the new move messed with his system. His appetite is finally coming back, he is wolfing down about 6-10 crickets at a time. Still having a hard time getting him to eat greens or fruit, any suggestions? Also the first couple nights he downed a lot of mealworms, but since then he will not touch them. Is this normal?

My kids and I are having a great time watching and caring for our beardie, we love watching him hunt down the crickets and look up at us with his smug expression. I will post some pictures when I get a chance.

Great site!

whiskersmom

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Hi Scotty,
Welcome to the forum!
It's normal for the little one's to not eat greens, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. As long as his appetite has picked back up (you're right, they go through relocation stress and their appetite's are effected by sheds) I would hold off taking your little one to the vet for a couple more weeks to have a checkup and to do a fecal. By then his system should have settled down and you should get an accurate fecal result!

Don't hesitate to ask anything!!!

Ozzy's Mom

Juvie Member
scotty":8ce87 said:
My family is excited about the new addition to the family. We brought home a new little beardie a couple weeks ago.

Congratulations and Welcome! :wave: How old is your beardie? Do you know if it's a boy or a girl?

Still having a hard time getting him to eat greens or fruit, any suggestions?!

I had the same problem with beardie. Finally I found that he loves minced butternut squash. If I use the oscar food processor and throw in some mustard greens he'll eat it. He tolerates the greens if he can have the squash...lol I think you'll probably have to experiment to find out what your little one likes best....then mix it with something else you want him/her to eat.

Also the first couple nights he downed a lot of mealworms, but since then he will not touch them. Is this normal? !

I'm kinda a novice also...just got my beardie a month ago so I don't know a lot, but I have read that mealworms are probably not the best for beardies. They are difficult to digest. Maybe that's why he hasn't touched anymore? I know the care sheets and most posters here will recommend phoenix worms due to the high calcium content and silkies because they're much easier to digest. You can also feed supers....though I know nothing about them since I use mostly crickets.

Again....welcome to the forum. I can't wait to see the pics of your family addition!

scotty

Original Poster
We still do not know if our little one is a boy or a girl, it is only a few weeks old. Not sure what the actual age is. It is about 6" from the tip of the nose to the end of its tail.

Thanks for the info on the squash, we will start doing some experimenting. Is there anything that I should avoid feeding it? I will also get rid of the meal worms.

I have found that a lot of the information that we have received from the folks at our local Pet store has been wrong. :shock: It is nice to have this site so I can get some correct information.

My son has officially named our little one "Wolverine". I asked what if it was a girl, he said maybe "Storm". Either way it looks like we have a mini x-man! :D

Ozzy's Mom

Juvie Member
scotty":1eaf9 said:
We still do not know if our little one is a boy or a girl, it is only a few weeks old. Not sure what the actual age is. It is about 6" from the tip of the nose to the end of its tail.

Thanks for the info on the squash, we will start doing some experimenting. Is there anything that I should avoid feeding it? I will also get rid of the meal worms.

I have found that a lot of the information that we have received from the folks at our local Pet store has been wrong. :shock: It is nice to have this site so I can get some correct information.

My son has officially named our little one "Wolverine". I asked what if it was a girl, he said maybe "Storm". Either way it looks like we have a mini x-man! :D

Yes, you'll find a lot of information pet stores give out is wrong....especially a lot of the larger chain stores. Sometimes you can find one with a manager that changes some opinions, but it doesn't seem to be common.

I copied the feeding section from the care sheet and will paste it here. Also, this is a very good link http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html. It has some great salad ideas, as well as, tells you what not to feed your beardie.

Most important, if you take your beardie outside, never let him/her eat lightning bugs....they can kill your pet. Rhubarb is highly toxic. Also, I believe avacados are supposed to be toxic.

Some common mistakes are feeding regular lettuce (low nutritional value that causes runny stool and dehydration) and fresh spinach (high in oxalates which inhibits calcium absorbtion and can possibly cause MBD - metabolic bone disease).

Good things to feed your beardie would be collard, turnip or mustard greens, squash, endive, escarole, dandelion greens.

Anyway here's the care sheet info from this site:

Feeding and diet

Bearded Dragons are omnivorous, meaning that they eat both animal and plant matter. Any and all food items that your Bearded Dragons eat should be no bigger than the space between their eyes. If the food items are bigger than the space between their eyes it can cause impaction and/or hind leg paralysis. Either way your Beardie will suffer horribly.

Baby and juvenile Beardies should be offered appropriately sized crickets two-three times a day. Offer as many as your Beardie will eat in a 5-10 minute time frame. When your Beardie stops eating, stop offering. Young Bearded Dragons can eat anywhere from 20-60 small crickets a day. Your Beardie should also be given fresh greens daily. Spraying the greens with water will help them last longer and will also help keep your Beardie hydrated.

Sub-adult to adult Beardies only need to eat prey items once a day along with fresh greens. Once they are this age you can also offer them Locusts, Cockroaches, Mealworms, Waxworms, Zophobas worms, Silkworms, Butterworms, Red worms, Earthworms and just about any other worm available. All these should be used as treats though with crickets and greens being the stable part of your Dragons diet. DO NOT feed your Beardie insects that you have caught in your backyard. These bugs could have parasites that could be passed on to your Beardie or they could have been exposed to poisons that could kill your Beardie. Lightning bugs can also kill your Beardie so it is much safer to stay away from wild caught insects.

Prey items should be dusted once a day with a calcium/vitamin D3 supplement such as Rep-cal makes. All prey items should be dusted once a week with a multivitamin supplement such as Herptivite, also made by Rep-cal.

I hope this helps you out. It's the same stuff the posters on the site gave me about a month ago......I still refer to it often.

Wolverine or Storm.....both very good beardie names. I hope it's a girl, I like Storm....hehehe

scotty

Original Poster
We just found out recently that the Pet Store that has been giving us incorrect information about our dragon has lost two baby dragons over the last few weeks. They are feeding them only meal worms, when we brought it up with the employee that meal worms were bad for baby dragons she was shocked and said we should talk to her manager.

We gave her our contact information and the manager left a very defensive message on our machine. I have not had a chance to call back.

Are there any suggestions on where I can point these folks to get some good information? An article or something that I can bring to them? I doubt they will take my word for it.

Ozzy's Mom

Juvie Member
scotty":95eb1 said:
Are there any suggestions on where I can point these folks to get some good information? An article or something that I can bring to them? I doubt they will take my word for it.

It would probably be good to go in with a printout of a few different URL's to hand to the manager. That way she can see exactly where you got your info.

Then I'd print out a few of the different caresheets and hand them to her also. Be sure to email [email protected] and get permission to print off the sheets before taking them in though.

Here's the web URL's from the caresheets on this site:

Podunk's Care Sheet - http://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/caresheet/

Kakadu Dragons Caresheet -
http://www.kakadudragons.com/caresheet/caresheet.php

Beautiful Dragons Caresheet (this one is not on this site it's just recommended a lot)-
http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/home.html

Dachiu Caresheets
-
http://www.dachiu.com/care/care.html

SunshineDragons Caresheet -
http://www.sunshinedragons.com/caresheet.htm

Good Luck!!

scotty

Original Poster
Thanks Tami, I appreciate all of your information. Now that we have his diet in check, he is starting to eat greens, (loves collard greens, even takes it from our hands) His/her appetite for crickets is still low, but since we have moved to smaller crickets, it is eating better. He gets so excited to see us now, thinking that we are bringing food, that he even ran into the glass trying to get closer to us!

I am posting some pictures of our little one. I hope I do this right...

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h25/jsj14/DSCF1560.jpg
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h25/jsj14/DSCF1559.jpg
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h25/jsj14/DSCF1561.jpg

Ozzy's Mom

Juvie Member
You're welcome. He's adorable. I sure wish I'd gotten Ozzy when he was younger so that I could watch him grow. Maybe someday I'll have enough room for a 2nd viv and we can get a small one to raise.

scotty

Original Poster
DSCF1560.jpg

Dont mind me, I am just testing how to post pics...

scotty

Original Poster
Think I finally got it :wink: The pick is a bit blurry, but hey...

DSCF1560.jpg

Holy cow, this guy went from eating nearly nothing to eating to downing about 25 crickets today!

It is eating collard greens, carrots and other stuff too. We have gone away from the chain store and found a local pet store that has a lot more information about our baby. :eek:

Quick question though, I have noticed every once in a while it gets some black circles on his belly, they are in a neat pattern, but they come and go. Is this ok, or do I need to worry?

Ozzy's Mom

Juvie Member
I don't know anything about the black circles. I'm sorry I can't help you there.

Just wanted to say Yay!!! The pic worked :blob5:

Starghoti

Hatchling Member
About the Black Circles,
It is ok
My baby does the same thing, it is apparently tied into their "darkening to absorb more warmth" ability.

It is actually pretty funny our 'girl' (same appx age, so guessing here..) gets these nifty sorta hourglass looking patterns on her belly. I joke with my husband -"Honey, have you been stepping on the lizards' tummy with your Birkenstocks again?!?"

Welcome to the Beardie-Club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bearded dragon
Top Bottom