hello...i'm new :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gemmy

hello everyone,
i'm Gem, i got my first beardie on saturday and i'm ashaimed to say that before getting him i knew almost nothing about them! :oops:
anyway i have had my head in books and surfing the net all weekend (appart from the hours i have spent studying Ozzy) trying to get all the info i need on these beautiful creatures.
so onto the stats... Ozzy is about 9 weeks i assume. he is about 3 inches long and a very good eater! not overly keen on his greens but we're working on it. any advice would be appreciated on all subjects! xx

gemmy

Original Poster
yes, he's got a uvb light.
got a question for you....he has coconut bark on the foor of his viv, as it came in th starter pack, but its making it difficult for him to get the crix that i put in for him, its easy for them to hide! i keep reading about reptile carpet, but not sure where to get it from. any ideas what else i could use? is he too small for play sand?

i'm trying to put some pics on.....not as easy as i thought tho :)

barti1

Gray-bearded Member
coconut bark is bad for beardies, as it is easy for them to eat, and they can get impacted. I would suggest tile, shelf liner, or reptile carpet. What type is your UVB light? How far is it away from your dragon? What sup[plement do you have? How much are you feeding him a day? Welcome to the forum!

gemmy

Original Poster
looks like i'll be taking the bark out then!! the light is a T-Rex UVB 100w light and he is about 12" from it in his basking spot...thats what the box recommends. he has about 35 crix a day (in 2 sittings) and his veg in the morning. i went and got some locus today.....blimey they can jump!!! i'm coating his crix and locus in T-Rex Bearded Dragon powder. i'm going to give him (i am guessing his sex) his first bath tonight!!

Sekhautet

BD.org Sicko
Don't be ashamed ... It happens to a lot of people that they don't have correct information when they come here. When I came here, I had just taken my dragon off calcisand. He's healthy and over 3 years now and thriving. We all make mistakes. A lot of pet stores don't give out accurate information and don't have the time to train herp employees about all the different types they sell in the store and their needs. It's good that you came on here! Welcome! :)

Ryan Maguire

Sub-Adult Member
gemmy":0ab6e said:
looks like i'll be taking the bark out then!! the light is a T-Rex UVB 100w light and he is about 12" from it in his basking spot...thats what the box recommends. he has about 35 crix a day (in 2 sittings) and his veg in the morning. i went and got some locus today.....blimey they can jump!!! i'm coating his crix and locus in T-Rex Bearded Dragon powder. i'm going to give him (i am guessing his sex) his first bath tonight!!

Ehe you'll be happier anyways with shelf liner or repticarpet.. its much easier to clean..

Chris

BD.org Addict
i'd go with the shelf liner till hes big enough for sand.

carpet is a pain to wash and babies poo heaps, so just being able to wipe it up would be heaps easier,.!!

oh, and welcome!
its better you start with no info than the wrong info and think youre doing it right! :lol:

Ozzy's Mom

Juvie Member
Welcome :blob5: My Ozzy is thrilled.....lets not tell him yours is not named after him :lol:

My Ozzy is on repti carpet now. He likes it because it's soft and I like it because it looks nice, but it is a pain in the a$$ to clean! I haven't tried the shelf liner yet, but it has to be much easier!

You'll be able to find a lot of good info in the care sheet links on this site. Welcome and Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom