Introducing Ruby and Garnet!!! (pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ruby is the big one Garnet is the little one. I named them after two red gemstones. (they are red bearded dragons) they are sisters both born on march 28th, 2006 Ruby is 11.5 inches long and Garnet is 9.5 inches long.
this is their tank:
tank.jpg

This is their main basking platform that i made:
platform.jpg

Meet Ruby:
Ruby.jpg

Here is Ruby sitting on her log:
Rubyonlog.jpg

Meet Garnet:
Garnet.jpg

Here they are together:
BDS.jpg

They are stackable!!!:
beards.jpg

Here is a better view of their markings:
beardeds.jpg

I can hypnotize them and they lay still on their backs!:
hypnotize.jpg

Can all beardies do that?
hypnotized.jpg

aren't they just adorable???

NintendoVixen79

Gray-bearded Member
:shock: *sits amazed for awhile at the beardies on their backs*

Those are gorgeous babies! The coloring is incredible! I love their names too (ruby and garnet are my favorite gemstones cause deep red is my favorite color ^_^ )

Just some tips though-
1.) The stick-on thermometer isn't gonna give you an accurate reading. They are known to be off as much as 20 degrees! You'll need a digital thermometer with a probe.

2.) The 'stacking' is actually dominance. One will lay on the other and hog all the heat and UV rays and they will grow better than the others. Unless you have 2 females that do not show dominance to each other, beardies need to be in seperate tanks. When they are adults they need at least 6 square feet of space each. Though more around a 75-gallon each is preferred.

3.) I do not notice a UV light. (the long florescent ligh that gives of UV rays. Either an 8.0 or 10.0 one) They need this for growth and food digestion.

4.) What kind of sand is that? The only safe sand for beardies is children's playsand... and usually you should wait til they are adults before using sand in case they swallow too much while eating, and beardies like to lick their surrounding alot too.

The babies are so beautiful! I love those deep red spots! They should have amazing colors when they grow up!!!
This forum is extremely helpful and fun! So, Welcome and enjoy your stay ^_^

BDLover305

Original Poster
thank-you!
i stacked them on my shirt, they dont do that in the tank. they havent shown any aggression thus far, so i dont think ill need to seperate them. since there are 4 basking spots, they dont fight over that and to feed them i feed them in seperate parts of the tank so that they get equal food. yes i need to buy a better thermometer. i already ordered a uv light and ill be getting it soon. the man at the pet shop said i should use that sand until they get a little older and then switch to playsand. dunno if hes right or not though.
btw: i love that pic of ridley on the ds! so cute

frogleggz

Juvie Member
Keep in mind that there doesn't need to be direct aggression in order for one or both of the beardies to be stressed out. Stress can decrease a beardie's appetite and activity level, and increase its parasite load, which can make it sick. There is already a significant size difference between them, so keep an eye out for the smaller one... make sure she is eating, basking, and growing as much as her big sis.

They are VERY cute!!! How did you get them to lay upside down like that?

Also I agree that you should get rid of the sand, that stuff is dangerous. Use screened play sand if you must, but shelf liner or tile would be ideal, maybe with a sandbox in one corner if they seem to like it.

What kind of UV light did you order?

Kaida520

Juvie Member
they are precious!i did have my girls together...and there were no signs of aggression or anything like that at all,and then kaida go very ill...she got really stressed out by blossom and i had to take her on an emergency vet visit...for almost a month they seemed fine...then one day it hit :( i hope things work out good for you!you have beautiful beardies!

barti1

Gray-bearded Member
Nice pics! How much are they eating? What UVB light did you order? How big are the crickets your feeding? The sand their on is very dangerous, so I would suggest shlef liner, tile, and newspaper.

BDLover305

Original Poster
yea, ive been making sure that they both get equal food and basking space so that they both grow.
not sure what kind of uv light i ordered though.
im not buying any more of that sand.
i just lay them on their backs and the stay still.
ive been making sure that the crickets that they eat are no bigger than the space between their eyes. Although 2 days ago, there were a few larger crickets in the tubes and they ate them. is it bad for them if they eat bigger food? Like can it cause any problems? They eat like 10-15 crickets a day. sometimes they eat 20. i would feed them more crix but my mom refuses to let me feed them more because she thinks i am overfeeding them. i told her that they could eat up to like 80 a day and she nearly had a heart attack. ive been trying to convince her to let me feed them more but she thinks im crazy if im going to feed them more than 20 each day. i think today were going out to get bearded dragon pellet food. maybe then they will eat some and not be as hungry.

BDLover305

Original Poster
i know, they get salad in the morning. ruby loves collard greens, endive, and blueberries. garnet loves escarole and summer squash.

Sekhautet

BD.org Sicko
Really important for anyone reading this post:

Beardies cannot breathe on their backs and they can suffocate. Please do not put them on their backs. I know a lot of beginners don't know this, but it is true, and not a myth. They will suffocate on their backs.

That said ... I love looking at cute babies! Never get tired of them and thye look like bright gems that will live up to their names, but I would separate them. Beardies thrive on their own, not in pairs. There's not risk of competition for basking spots and food that way, and they will both reach their maximum growth potential.

A good salad suggestion site for you to look at:

http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html

Welcome to the forum! 8)

Ozzy's Mom

Juvie Member
You're beardies are beautiful. I'm still a novice so I don't offer much advice, but from everything I've read and seen....all the posters here really know their stuff.

Sekhautet said:
Really important for anyone reading this post:

Beardies cannot breathe on their backs and they can suffocate. Please do not put them on their backs. I know a lot of beginners don't know this, but it is true, and not a myth. They will suffocate on their backs.

quote]

Thanks Sek for making all of us newbies aware of this :notworthy:
Tatsu is one lucky dragon for having such a smart mom!!!

Before I was done reading the thread I was already wondering if Ozzy would lie on his back too. Thanks to your post, Ozzy will not be trying this out!

Sekhautet

BD.org Sicko
Ozzy's Mom":94e7b said:
Thanks Sek for making all of us newbies aware of this :notworthy:
Tatsu is one lucky dragon for having such a smart mom!!!

Before I was done reading the thread I was already wondering if Ozzy would lie on his back too. Thanks to your post, Ozzy will not be trying this out!

I didn't know this until I joined forums for Tatsu when he had a health problem. Glad to be of help to others out there. 8)

NintendoVixen79

Gray-bearded Member
Yea definitely thanks for pointing that out! They look so cute there on their backs it was so tempting to try it out on Ridley. But I didn't after reading that.

BTW what color-morph would Ruby & Garnet be considered? I know morph names are unofficial, but would those be maybe like the 'bloods' or 'ember jemfires'? I rarely see beardies with such gorgeous shades of deep red like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom