Hey Ya'll!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Droopy McCool

Hi there, everyone. I'm the new owner of a beautiful 11 week old dragon that I named named Zoë. She's so cute! I've wanted a draqgon for approximately a little over a year or so now and thus did a lot of research in that time. My older brother opened up a hobby/pet store last November and has recently started attending the local reptile shows held here in Indy. I've gone with him a couple of times and was finally able to pick out and purchse my darling little girl 3 weeks ago. Her daddy was a red/orange X and her mommy a yellow, so I'm really looking forward to seeing just how beautiful she will be. See ya' in the funny pages.

mvc002f7xg.jpg

mvc001f1th.jpg

Sekhautet

BD.org Sicko
Zoe is so tiny! Welcome to the forum! One suggestion ... I would change her substrate to nonadhesive shelf liner or tile or repticarpet. The gravel can cause impaction, if ingested. Also, the pic was kinda dark. Do you have a UVB light? They really need those. 8)

Ryan Maguire

Sub-Adult Member
Welcome to the forum!

And like Sek suggested, you need to get a UVB light too if you don't already have one. :p and how close is he to the heat lamp? He looks pretty far away from it :|

Cute lil beardie. It'll be interesting to see the color as it gets older.

I would move the Log under the lamp so that the lil beardie can get as close to the lamp as he wants to by climbing.
(In the wild you find them perched on top of wooden fences stretching up to get every last ounce of heat and sun.)

Welcome!

Droopy McCool

Original Poster
I haven't got a UVB light just yet. Indianapolis (or at lest the west side of it) seems to be very non-reptile friendly as far as stores go.

I've kept the driftwood on the opposite side o the lamp so she can bask on her rocks during the day on sleep on/around the wood on the cool side at night.

I tried paper towel to line the bottom of her enclosure at first but it was so frustrating 'cause as soon as I dropped a cricket in it would hide underneath. The sand is very tiny and we haven't had any problems thus far.

I've been spraying her when she wakes up and before she goes to bed everyday, not to mention rinsing her veggies before she eats them but I decided to pick up a water dish for her today and see how she takes to it.

good luck with the water dish, mine only uses it to sleep in LOL

as far as the substrate, the gravel can cause impaction if ingested. Be careful.

Sekhautet

BD.org Sicko
Remember to remove the water dish at night, since babies have drowned in them. And clean it daily too to prevent bacteria, etc. 8)

barti1

Gray-bearded Member
Welcome to the forum! What are your dagons temps? The bulb looks kinda far. You can put the crickets in the fridge for about 5 minutes to slow them down, that way they won't go under the paper towels so easily. How much is she eating? She looks so cute :love5:

Droopy McCool

Original Poster
OK, since last I've spoke, I've changed quite a bit in Zoë's living accomodations...

1.) Added a UVB lamp. YAY!

2.) Added a water dish (which she LOVES to drink out of believe it or not!)

3.) Changed her gravel-y looking substrate to a super fine Repti-Sand© brand sand.

Lately, she's been hardly eating so I tried something new. I found out that the local (like around the corner local) Petco sells crickets in bulk.... you just gotta' ask for them since they don't advertise them outright. And... believe it or not, THEY'RE CHEAP! LOL So, I bought like 30 or so smalls and boy are they a LOT smaller than the ones Zoë had been eating before... by about a third. When I tried these tonight I dumped aobut a dozen or so in her aqauarium and she went crazy! LOL She ate like about 8-9 of them in no time! I think I finally figured out how to feed her!

Thanks to everyone's comments and help!

Here are some pictures of Zoë's new pad.

mvc003f0wk.jpg

mvc004f1bl.jpg

mvc005f6xf.jpg

Beata

Hatchling Member
A very nice viv ( I would add some bigger rocks in the middle for her to climb ) and a beautiful beardie. How long is she?

barti1

Gray-bearded Member
Well I hate to break it to ya, but repti-sand is not good for beardies, it can cause impaction to beardies, essecially babies or juvies. Do you have a thermo? What UVB light do you have? I'm glad to hear you got one! Also I'm glad that yo found a good place for crix! You know she should be eating around 30-100 a day, but most beardies never really go past 50-70 cricket a day (although mine did) :lol: How many are you feeding her everyday? You should be feeding her 3 times a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom