New member and new beardDragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spike17

New member and new beard Dragon NEED all HELP possible!!!
Don’t know anything about these little guy (I named him or her not sure spike)

What do I need to do to keep him happy and healthy?
The guy from the store told me all I needed to do was feed him crickets, but then I was reading some things and I have to feed it veggies and other stuff for vitamins and calcium…
What do u guys recommend for me to do?????
ANY HELP IS GREATLY APRECIATED TO HELP ME KEEP HIM/HER HAPPY AND HEALTHY!!!

barti1

Gray-bearded Member
How old is he?

How big is he/she?

How big is the cage he's/she's in?

bearded dragons do need veggies, and calcium, here's a good site for veggies, http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html

They will also need a UVB light either 8.0 or 10.0, this light will need to be changed every six months.

If your beardie is a adult (10 months or older) their diet should be 90 % greens, and 10 % crickets, so you'll be feeding him/her around 10 crickets every 2-3 days, but he's/she's a baby or juvie, they'll need to be eating around 50-100 crickets a day, and they crickets should be no bigger than the space bettween their eyes, you can also provide them some green, but it won't be a big deal if they won't eat that much, but still offer.

What is her subtrate? I'm guessing he told you calci sand, but if you have that you should get rid of it, this sand can clog up their system, and they will most likley get impacted, so here are some good substrates, Shelfliner, Tiles, newspaper (temporary), paper towels (for babies), and playsand (should be around 5-6 six months or older).

Please answer the questions above, so we can give you more info.

BTW, welcome to the forum, and sorry for the long post
:lol:

Spike17

Original Poster

Size: 5inches

Cage: 10g tank

Light: slim line reptile fixture with desert 7% UVB lamp
Neodymium daylight lamp- 50W (heat lamp)

Bulk wood

Water bow

I haven’t seen him eat the crickets but he did eat the veggies I gave him last night, I think the crickets are too big, and the guy from the pet store gave me about 15-20 crickets and said that it would be enough for a week.

He is a pic of the tank and spike
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f101/Maximiller/100_1249.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f101/Maximiller/100_1248.jpg

barti1":c4ecf said:
How old is he?

How big is he/she?

How big is the cage he's/she's in?

bearded dragons do need veggies, and calcium, here's a good site for veggies, http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html

They will also need a UVB light either 8.0 or 10.0, this light will need to be changed every six months.

If your beardie is a adult (10 months or older) their diet should be 90 % greens, and 10 % crickets, so you'll be feeding him/her around 10 crickets every 2-3 days, but he's/she's a baby or juvie, they'll need to be eating around 50-100 crickets a day, and they crickets should be no bigger than the space bettween their eyes, you can also provide them some green, but it won't be a big deal if they won't eat that much, but still offer.

What is her subtrate? I'm guessing he told you calci sand, but if you have that you should get rid of it, this sand can clog up their system, and they will most likley get impacted, so here are some good substrates, Shelfliner, Tiles, newspaper (temporary), paper towels (for babies), and playsand (should be around 5-6 six months or older).

Please answer the questions above, so we can give you more info.

BTW, welcome to the forum, and sorry for the long post
:lol:

xjosephine64X

Sub-Adult Member
What is the substrate on the floor??? It is not crushed walnut is it??? That little guy looks about 1 1/2 months to 2 months old. Pet stores measure there crix as pin, small, med & large. That guy should be eating the smalls and as much as he wants for 15 minutes three times a day. As stated above you should change the flooring to paper towels or non adhesive shelf liner (walmart 5.00). Ck out the link for the proper veggies if he is eating them. Also if you just got him he could be going through relocation stress and may not eat the crix for up to a week. If again you just got him try not to handle him too much and give him time to adjust. A 10gal is too small for him he needs at least a 20gal till he gets a little bigger. He should be bathed at least every other day and misted twice a day. If you have any other questions ask away, it is better to ask and make sure then not to ask and be sorry...
WELCOME!!!!

xjosephine64X

Sub-Adult Member
Oh and the slimeline lights suck, I started with that same one. you can change the light and just use the same fixture. The repti-glo 8.0 or the repti-sun 10.0 are your best bet. You can prob get the glo at the pet store to fit that fixture.

NintendoVixen79

Gray-bearded Member
Welcome to the forum! Good thing you came here b/c pet stores are known for giving the total wrong info... like they did for you.
Cute dragon btw ^_^

~10 gallon tank is too small. Hatchlings should be in at least a 20 gallon so you can get a proper heat gradient.

~Get rid of that substrate stuff on the bottom and replace it with something non-particle (like non-adhesive shelf liner) if he swallows that stuff he has now, he's in trouble (beardies constantly taste their surroundings)

~That UV lamp is also no good. Get either a reptisun 10.0 or a reptiglo 8.0

~What do you measure the temperatures with? The only deifnite way to get an accurate temperature reading is with a digital themometer with a probe on a wire. If the store gave you those round dial things, or the sticker thermometer toss it away.
The basking spot should be around 105-110 farenheight for a baby, and the cooler side of the tank should be around 75-80. It will be very hard to get this drastic difference in temps with a small 10 gallon tank.
Plus dragons grow FAST

~What size did they reccomend for when he's older? In a few months you'll need preferably a 75 gallon for him.

~15-20 crickets for a WEEK? wow... thats crap! 15-20 crickets is maybe one day's breakfast.... if even that.

Spike17

Original Poster
The substrate on the floor is ground English walnut shells, I will do the changes u recommended. What do u mean by misted?
non adhesive shelf liner (walmart 5.00)?

and thanks a lot for all the help!!!!!!!!!!

Spike17

Original Poster
The guy from the pet store didn't tell me anything about the temp, so I didn't know about the requirements for temp.

He told me to get a 5g tank for it now, and then in six months get at least a 20g.
But I got a 10g, but now I have to get a bigger one:( this sucks they know a lot about their salt water fish (I have a saltwater tank) but not a lot about reptiles

Ok I am going to get some more crickets... and the other up grades

xjosephine64X

Sub-Adult Member
Pet stores are notorious for misleading customers to make a sell. Yes the walnut shells are worse then calci-sand! for a little one none particle substrate is the safest. If you want some kind of sand later on wash sifted play sand (also walmart or lowes) sifted again for any chunks when they are over 3 months old. At the top of the page there is a link for articles and care sheets. The one I really like is this one
http://www.kakadudragons.com/caresheet/caresheet.php

NintendoVixen79

Gray-bearded Member
Oh btw I forgot to mention... You can get rid of that huge water bowl :)
Firstly, babies can easily drown in water bowls...
Secondly... beardies don't need water bowls. Some people use them, but they get their needed moisture from their food, their bath, & their mistings (get one of those spray water bottles they make for hair and spritz the dragon a bit a coupel times daily)
And for the bath get a tupperware and fill it a little bit with warm water (dont fill it past where the dragon's shoulder is) and let him soak for like 10 minutes or so.

Spike17

Original Poster
I cage my mind about getting a bigger tank:D I am building him a new house just got back from the home depot with the 90% of the things I need to build it, the only thing I didn't get was the glass, they didn't have the size I needed, they only had the Plexiglas I didn't want that:(
The size of the house:D is 48x24x24 is that going to be big enough for him when he is an adult?
i am going to start the building see u guys later

Spike17

Original Poster
xjosephine64X":8324a said:
Wow yes that is big enough and have fun hehe
want to make me one when your done? 8)

sure lol

It’s really cheap to make one. For the wood and ventilation screen with out the glass I am at $42, the glass will be another $15 or so…
The best part is that I can build it the way I want it :D

xjosephine64X

Sub-Adult Member
Did they cut the wood for you? What kind of wood did you get? I just dont have anywhere to do it. I live in an apt on the second floor and have a tiny porch :cry:

Spike17

Original Poster
xjosephine64X":89682 said:
Did they cut the wood for you? What kind of wood did you get? I just dont have anywhere to do it. I live in an apt on the second floor and have a tiny porch :cry:

The wood was cut already, it was like perfect, I got 3 different types of wood plywood and I don't remember the other 2.
I live on an apartment too 3rd floor, but I can use the basement.
But I am putting spike's little house in my room just got to move thing around. After this my room is officially FULL.
Now I won’t be able to update my saltwater tank to a 55gallon, cuz of spike’s house :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom