New member - well sort of

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I was on this site a couple of months ago and really had a lot of fun reading about dragons.

We have a young dragon named Hunter Cricket and he is about 7 months old. He has become a large part of our house and he's quite a character.

He likes to hang out with me while I'm on the computer. He jumps around and explores the desk area.

We just found him a 40 gallon breeder tank in the newspaper for 1/4 of the price.

Karen

barti1

Gray-bearded Member
Welcome to the forum! Can you post a pic of him? How big is he? Again welcome to the forum!

Hunter Cricket

Original Poster
Hi,

Thanx for the welcome. I could probably post a pic. but don't have the faintest idea how.

He's about a foot long from the tip of his nose to tip of his tail.

We don't know if he is a he or a she. Doesn't matter too much. We just enjoy his personality.

Having a little trouble keeping him regular. He only goes to the bathroom once a week and sometimes longer. Vet says that's too long. Maybe I'm feeding him too often. He gets mighty plump.

Today, I gave him a nice warm bath in the sink and Voila!! a nice big one right in the water.

Pretty graphic huh?

barti1

Gray-bearded Member
What are you feeding him, and how often? He seems small for his age. Do you kno whow much he weighs? To post a pic you need to have a account on photobucket.com, once you register you need to of course take the pic, and upload them on to the pc.

maelstrom

Hatchling Member
Welcome to the forum!!! Make sure you come here often! hehe.. Everyone on this forum is GREAT! They will be more than happy to help you make sure yer lil beardie is a happy healthy guy as long as you are willing to learn A LOT and accept the advice these experienced breeders and owners are willing to give you :D They can be costly little guys at first but if you take the steps necessary to keep your little guy healthy and safe then you will be much much happier as an owner.

btw i absolutely love the name you picked for him!! haha Cant wait to see the lil guy! :D

Hunter Cricket

Original Poster
Thanx for the welcomes.

I feed him various greens each morning (mustard, collard, beet, kale, etc.) I give him fruit once in awhile. He loves watermelon and cantaloupe, but only once in awhile.

I feed him crickets every night. He would eat until I stop, so I usually give him between 12 and 20 per night. Depending on when his last BM is.

He gets wax worms on occasion when I buy them. 1-3 with his salad in the morning.

I just got him a breeder tank which I'm setting up. I think that will help regulate the heat. I've been having a difficult time keeping it up to 100 degrees on the one side.

momofonebeardie

BD.org Addict
You should be feeding a lot more crickets. I have a female that is 8 months old ans she eats between 80-100 1/2 crickets a day or every other depending how hungry she is.
How long is your beardie? How much does he weigh?

BobtheDragon

Juvie Member
momofonebeardie":9dd04 said:
You should be feeding a lot more crickets. I have a female that is 8 months old ans she eats between 80-100 1/2 crickets a day or every other depending how hungry she is.
How long is your beardie? How much does he weigh?

Our 20 month old 16 1/4" male eats about 16 to 20 full size dusted crix a day along with a salad. I think if he tried to eat 80 to 100 he would surely explode!

Do you feed her several times a day or all at once?

Hunter Cricket

Original Poster
Oh my goodness!

He/she would surely explode and die with 80-100 crickets per day.

I feed him/her the greens in the morning and the crickets all at once at night.

He eats the large crickets. Last night I gave him about 18 crickets.

barti1

Gray-bearded Member
They should be eating as much as they want within a 10-15 toime period, you've been starving the poor guy. They will eat about 50-100 crickets a day. I know it's hard to belive, but they will not explode,a nd die if they eat that many crix. Bob, you should be feeding him WAY more crickets, how big is he? hunter crickets, how big is your dragon?

Hunter Cricket

Original Poster
I'm sure you don't mean to offend, however, I don't think the poor guy is starving. He is offered as many greens as he can eat, and only eats about 1/2. So, if he were that hungry, wouldn't he eat more?

His body looks good. His legs are nice and plump. He's alert, active and seems happy. I don't know what he weighs, but he is approximately 14 inches from nose to tail.

I'll call his vet and ask about the crickets.

What do you think about the BM's every 4 days to a week and a half?

barti1

Gray-bearded Member
Sorry, I didn't mean to offen you, but I was just implying that dragons should be eating more then 20 (more or less) crickets a day, also smaller dragons won't eat as much greens until their around 10-12 months, maybe thats why he's not eating all the greens, but he's still a little guy :lol:

What do you think about the BM's every 4 days to a week and a half?

I'm not sure what you ment there, sorry :lol:

Try feeding him as much as he will eat in a 10-15 minute timeframe, and just see what happens, I'm not saying you have too, but just to see what will happen.

Hunter Cricket

Original Poster
The note about the BM's is that I felt he wasn't having them often enough.

He once went almost 2 weeks w/o a BM. That's one reason why I did not feed him as many crickets wondering where it all went?

Now he goes about every 3-5 days.

Is that normal?

shadi11

BD.org Addict
at that age you should have been offering as much as they can eat in 15 minutes 2 times a day.. salad isnt as important for growth as protien is.. my 6 month old is 17 1/2 inches long.. they grow fast. at 2 weeks he was 3 inches when i got him.. then the recent baby i just got is 7 weeks old and 10 inches long. he was around 6 3/4 inches when i got him a month ago.. they eat a ton of insects til they are a year old.. that is also why is pooping is irregular

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom