newbie second time around

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiny46n2

ok i posted on here a while ago when i first got my two beardies that i adopted from a guy who had babies that he could no longer afford to care for ( he had about 20 baby dragons ) so i took two home and one of them develpoed mbd and got impacted took him to the vet and since he had already lost the use of his legs and was not doing well after some treatments i decided to have him put to sleep at the vet. thanks to anyone who helped me with my questions then .

my other beardie is doing just great he/she is named Hunter and is very friendly . me an dmy husband had always wanted a beardie so i couldnt pass them up when i had the chance to get them for free. i look forward ot learning alot from everyone here !!

xjosephine64X

Sub-Adult Member
Welcome to the forum Again hehe I am really sorry about your other beardie. I am sure you will enjoy you little one and if you need any help the people here are great!

barti1

Gray-bearded Member
I'm really sorry to hear about your other beardie, but I hope you have better luck this time around :lol: Welcome to the forum!

Ozzy's Mom

Juvie Member
Welcome back. I'm sorry to hear about your other beardie. Best wishes to Hunter!

As a new beardie owner, I have a question......what is mbd? What is the best way to prevent it?

I'm trying to read everything I can and learn as much as possible. I've heard of impaction, but not the term mbd. Thanks for your help.

xjosephine64X

Sub-Adult Member
Metabolic bone disease. It is a lack of calcium and the bones get brittle and break easy (among other things). To prevent it you need to suppliment then with calcium powder once a day 5 days a week. A UVB light also (a good one) is needed. It mostly happens to little ones and juvies that are growing as such a fast rate they need extra calcium for growing bones. If you are not supplimenting your little one you should start asap. I use repti-cal w/D-3 3 times a week and sticky tongues minerall 2 times a week. Also you should powder there crix with a vitamin powder 2 times a week. Repti-cal reptivite is a good one also. Dust crix or what ever live feeders you are using.

Ozzy's Mom

Juvie Member
Whew....it always makes me feel better when I get advice and it's something I'm already doing. I set up the UVB light and basking lamp the same day Ozzy came home. I also have the repti-cal w/D and am using it every other day. Just recently got the vitamin powder too.

I do have a question though. My BD is about a year old. I've had him two weeks. During that time he has eaten almost no fresh veggies. I was feeding him crickets every 3 days....then every other. Now....since he refuses to eat anything else, I'm feeding him about a dozen a day for fear he'll starve.

When I first got Ozzy he ate a couple pieces of leaf lettuce and collard greens (one time). He also ate some dry adult bearded dragon food. Now I can't get him to eat anything fresh, he won't touch the dragon food, and I even bought some other moist BD food that he won't touch.

I apologize ....as this is probably not the place I should post this question, but you sounded so knowlegable that I wanted to get your opinion.

Tiny, I'm sorry....I didn't mean to take over your post.

Ozzy's Mom

Juvie Member
Great....Thanks ....I hadn't even thought of that.

Again.....sorry Tiny for taking over your discussion....and Welcome back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom