Hello from Oceanside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Copperhead

Hi! I have a large Beardie named (what else?) Spike, whom I adopted from a kid who didn't know what to do with him. He's big, healthy, and eats like a friggin' horse. I got him to eat by hand-feeding him, then had to break him of that. He's big enough to take the occasional pre-killed white mouse, but eats virtually everything. Grape tomatoes are his favorites. He's the most non-stressing reptile I've ever seen. I could take some lessons from him, I guess. Anyway, just wanted to say Hi, and I am glad I found this board...
Seán

Chris

BD.org Addict
Hi, and welcome!

glad you like your new beardie!!

heres a great list with recommended salad stuff, tomatoes should be fed in moderation because of teh oxalic content which binds calcium.

http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html

be careful with teh white mice, fro 2 reasons.
mice with properly formed bones can impact dragons (constipate, tehy can die from that) and also, mice have a high fat/protien content and should be limited due to issues such as fatty liver disease in adult dragons.
teh recommendation for mice is no more than 2 pinkies per month. (and you'll get alot of opposition to that too!) bugs need to be reduced fro a few days after a pinky feed.

once big, the majority of his diet should consist of greens and veges, with bugs and worms making up teh protien part. its recommended to feed no more than 50 live bugs a week and reduce teh amount on weeks they get a pinky. it should be 80% greens/veg to 20% protien feeders.
anyway, great to hear hes a little pig!!

good luck and feel free to ask any questions you need to! :D

Copperhead

Original Poster
Chris,
Thanks for the info. I am a snake guy, have been since I was six. I adopt lizards only as a rescue thing. I get them back to health and find a good home for 'em. Let's not even talk about the Iguanas I have saved (!).But this big guy is so sweet and has so much personality that I decided to keep him. It's like a sworn dog owner suddenly falling in love with a cat. The mice were a technique to get him back up to a good weight. He does eat lots of greens, fruits, and around here, even Avocados. Loves those things. How big do these guys get? I'll have to measure him, but he's by far the largest I have seen anywhere. Do you know the lifespan? Again, thanks!!
Seán

As an aside: how do you post a pic in here?

DracotheDragon

Juvie Member
Copperhead":a676e said:
As an aside: how do you post a pic in here?

upload the image to one of these sites
http://photobucket.com/
http://imageshack.us/

then copy the image URL and paste it in here, with the tags around it. so for instance if yahoo.com was a picture instead of a website it would look like

kimberlyanne999

Sub-Adult Member
Copperhead":8796e said:
He does eat lots of greens, fruits, and around here, even Avocados. Loves those things.

Hey Seán! Welcome! Cant wait to see pics of your big guy! :D

Just wanted to let you know that Avocado is on the beautifuldragons
NEVER feed list... It says = Unknown toxicity - deadly for birds.

The link that Chris gave you is the beautifuldragons nutrtion chart that most of us follow. Its a great source for information.

Copperhead

Original Poster
I saw a little late about that. He doesn't seem to have suffered, but I am modifying his diet as we speak. No more Guacamole for his next superbowl! I have tons of prickly pear growing hereabouts, and may use that as his treat now. Thanks for the welcome, and this next week I'll take some pics. I just got a new digital to mess around with...
Seán

Chris

BD.org Addict
How big do these guys get? I'll have to measure him, but he's by far the largest I have seen anywhere. Do you know the lifespan?

18-24 inches is average.

about 10 years, give or take a few depending care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom