Drako and I saying hi

Status
Not open for further replies.

GentleDrako

Hi everyone,

I'm not new to bearded dragons but am new to this site and I just wanted to come on and say hi. I have one male bearded dragon named Drako who's around 11 months old and 18 inches long. I have a few questions, one I was wondering if beardies ate apples? I have some green apples but am not sure if they can or will eat them?..

Two, I was doing some reading on here about what bedding to use? Has anyone ever used {Vita-Sand}? I am just wondering if it's alright to use or not?, I found out what I was using could be dangerous so I quit using it , I was using (Desert Blend) and I just need to find something safe that I can use. I love Drako very much and woulnd hate to see anything happen.. Take care! =]

Amber

jaws_of_life

Juvie Member
Id say repticarpet or non-adhesive shelf liner is your best bet... I just picked up a few rolls of the liner at home depot for really cheap. Sand looks nice and works good if you have an avid digger but the liner is really easy to clean and maintain.

Offit

Hi,

I’m still new to bearded dragons & i have only had my little girl 1 week... however i used kiln blasted sand in her viv and i'm glad i did. Over the last few nights she has been i can only assume natural behavior because she digs a little bowl in the sand and sleeps in it.

Where as before she was sleeping in the weirdest of positions…

Other good things I found with sand are, easy to clean to poop, has a nice look to it & doesn’t cost much!

-Eddie- :D

Dunklezhan

Extreme Poster
Hello to you and to Drako - welcome to the forum! 👋 I hope you find a lot of helpful information and enjoy it. Pull up a chair. ;)

Beardies can eat apples, although if he will or won't will largely be up to him... Dunk is a stickler for all things green and tends to go around anything orange, red, or other colors. He's a green fanatic. :roll: They seem to have their preferences.

Here's a handy reference link I got from people here early on that's been invaluable for feeding:

Edit: I couldn't get the link to work properly, but you can get copies from the links in Morkai's signature. Apple is on there, although listed as peeled. Here's one of the posts so you can get the links.

[ Invalid URL Removed / p= t=28758 f= ]

I hate this part...

... but Vitasand, Calcisand and it's counterparts are potentially deadly to your beardies. They say on the bag that they're good for our pets, but in reality, they don't digest as the bags claim. Instead, they build up inside the intestines and eventually kill them. Most of the true scientific data which was researched on this was beyond me, but the user Gemma did a very interesting and VERY in depth look at the chemical compounds, how they broke up, and reinforced the concerns we had over the sands. A quick forum search with her name and calcisand should pull up her posts if you want to read it.

For an 11 month old, prewashed playsand might be okay, although you may want to pose the question under General to get some better feedback on it by those who use it. I'm too lazy to change it when it needs it, so I've kept Dunk's enclosure simpler. It's not good for babies who are chasing down masses of crickets and "tasting" their environment, but the adults have mellowed out enough that it's basically safe - unless you have a sand eating beardie who looks like he's just found the New Beardie Food and starts eating it. Dunk looked like he wanted to do that the few times I've put a sandbox in there for him to play in. That scared me a bit, so it was another reason I didn't do sand.

Good flooring or substrates can be any of these:

*Paper towels - cheap and easy
*Butcher paper
*Newspaper - non printed would be best
*Non Adhesive shelf liner (you can get a roll at Wal Mart for about $5. It's a favorite around here for easy clean up - just wipe down daily, then toss in the washing machine about once a month. It's reusable. Just be sure to get the kind which doesn't have the open holes as they can snag beardie toes.)
*Ceramic tiles (no grout, but sitting loose to easily be removed)
*Reptile Carpet - might be a bit harder to clean up, I'm not sure, but it's safe.

I always hate telling people this... because so many of us believed the bag, and even though it was $8.00 a bag, we thought it was GOOD for our babies - and spared no expense on the little ones. :?

They do like to dig in a lot of cases, so you can always give them a sand box or use the prewashed play sand if you want to go that direction with an adult. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom