New bearded. give me some advice please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob marley

Hatchling Member
Hello:
I just got my first BD two days ago. My doughter and I have succesfully had an anole and a pacman frog for 6 months. (I am getting rid of the anole. he is an ahole) I have been serching the Internet for the last year for a freindly critter that likes people. A BD is a perfect fit.
I looked all over for some. Petco has some, but they were very small and borring patterns. A small shop in town had 3 great looking mixed breed (two different shades). As soon as I opened the tank I knew which one was mine. He came right up to the top of the branch to check me out. Sold.
I currently have him in a 20 gallon with a 75 wt. basking light on one side with a screw in UVA/UVB light positioned about 6 inches over the center of the tank. I have a rug on the bottom. Driftwood for him to bask on. A feeding bowl and a water bowl. The temp on the hot side is 95 and 80 on the cold. His basking area is about 105.
I am going to start feeding him in a separate container. It is a pain trying to get all of the hiding crickets out of the log. The first day I got him 1 dozen crickets and he ate them all in 30 sec. I went out this morning and got 4 doz. They are also gone now. (I am going to look into ordering more online and putting them in the 10 gallon tank. The packman also eats them) Today I put some sallad in his bowl. He ate that just as fast as the crickets.
I cannot begin to tell you how happy I am with this little guy (about 6 inches from tail to nose). I had no Idea they were this freindly. Whenever I open the top of his tank, he comes right up and crawls onto my finger, and he doesn't want to get off when i put him back in. (by the way he has dark brown spots on his back with red outline) I will post some pics when i get a card for my camera.
I do have a question. should I get a cave for him to hide in? can he eat mealworms. I bought some yesterday and he ate 3 out of my fingers. But I read today that they are not good for him.
I will beat you to the punch. I know the tank is going to be to small for him. I plan on keeping him in the family room due to the fact that he is so freindly. My wife doesnt want all kinds of tanks sitting around (eye sore). I am currently looking for a 50 breader or so. the condition is that I have to have a nice looking stand and maybe a hood to hide the lights and cords. If any of you know where I could get a good looking tank for a good price let me know.
I live in Elmira NY. No it is not near New York City. It is about half way between NYC and Buffalo. Near Binghamton,Corning, Ithaca. Please keep an eye out for a tank.

:cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom