New bearded. give me some advice please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob marley

Hatchling Member
Hello:
I just got my first BD two days ago. My doughter and I have succesfully had an anole and a pacman frog for 6 months. (I am getting rid of the anole. he is an ahole) I have been serching the Internet for the last year for a freindly critter that likes people. A BD is a perfect fit.
I looked all over for some. Petco has some, but they were very small and borring patterns. A small shop in town had 3 great looking mixed breed (two different shades). As soon as I opened the tank I knew which one was mine. He came right up to the top of the branch to check me out. Sold.
I currently have him in a 20 gallon with a 75 wt. basking light on one side with a screw in UVA/UVB light positioned about 6 inches over the center of the tank. I have a rug on the bottom. Driftwood for him to bask on. A feeding bowl and a water bowl. The temp on the hot side is 95 and 80 on the cold. His basking area is about 105.
I am going to start feeding him in a separate container. It is a pain trying to get all of the hiding crickets out of the log. The first day I got him 1 dozen crickets and he ate them all in 30 sec. I went out this morning and got 4 doz. They are also gone now. (I am going to look into ordering more online and putting them in the 10 gallon tank. The packman also eats them) Today I put some sallad in his bowl. He ate that just as fast as the crickets.
I cannot begin to tell you how happy I am with this little guy (about 6 inches from tail to nose). I had no Idea they were this freindly. Whenever I open the top of his tank, he comes right up and crawls onto my finger, and he doesn't want to get off when i put him back in. (by the way he has dark brown spots on his back with red outline) I will post some pics when i get a card for my camera.
I do have a question. should I get a cave for him to hide in? can he eat mealworms. I bought some yesterday and he ate 3 out of my fingers. But I read today that they are not good for him.
I will beat you to the punch. I know the tank is going to be to small for him. I plan on keeping him in the family room due to the fact that he is so freindly. My wife doesnt want all kinds of tanks sitting around (eye sore). I am currently looking for a 50 breader or so. the condition is that I have to have a nice looking stand and maybe a hood to hide the lights and cords. If any of you know where I could get a good looking tank for a good price let me know.
I live in Elmira NY. No it is not near New York City. It is about half way between NYC and Buffalo. Near Binghamton,Corning, Ithaca. Please keep an eye out for a tank.

:cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom