Newbie to the site - meet me and my 'kids'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faithfultiger

Hi there. Mandi here, just thought I'd pop in and introduce myself and my BDs.

We have 12 lizards in all, 2 BDs, 3 Leopard Geckos, 5 Barrel (Oscillated) Skinks, 1 Berber (shneiders) Skink and 1 White Spotted Gecko.

11463308111.jpg

11463308132.jpg

Meet Spike and Millie - hmm, bet ya can't guess where those names came from?! :roll: We got them in November 2004 and they were aprox 8mths old at the time.... which I think makes them a little over 2yrs right now.

We are currently waiting to see if they are going to become parents as they are definitely showing the signs.... his beard going jet black, seriously bobbing, rushing at her and pecking her and she waving and slowly doing pushups. Only at the moment, he doesn't seem to either know what to (or want to) do!

They have 2-3" sand in their 4'x2'x2' tank which I only put in there a couple of weeks ago and Millie got straight into digging big holes in it and sitting in them - hopefully she's practicing!

Akeath

Gray-bearded Member
Welcome to the forum, you have some very nicely colored beardies there, and the pics themselves are very good too. :)
Do you have everything prepared for the babies, know about all of that stuff?

Faithfultiger

Original Poster
Thank you - love taking 'close-ups' of pretty much anything.... always trying to get the perfect picture and don't think these have come out too bad compared to some of the others!!

As for being prepared.... I have done a lot of research (hence me finding this forum) and that was one of the reasons for changing the substrate. I have also bought vermiculite and am looking at incubators - but I'm amazed at how difficult it is to get a hova bator over here (seemingly, unless I'm looking in the wrong places!)

If and when babies do arrive we will have to rethink our current housing as we do have the perfect viv right above the BDs viv (2'x2'x18") but it is currently being occupied by the Berber Skink. She 'could' go back in with the White Spotted Gecko, but he's a bit of a bully and although he used to share a viv with about 3 or 4 others (including the berber), he is now on his own as I just didn't trust him!

We had these vivs built to order to fit the alcove in our living room and don't really have room for any more but I'm sure we'll sort something out if we need to. First and foremost though is actually getting some fertile eggs and hatching them - that to me is the biggest worry what with temperature and humidity being quite difficult to control from what I've read.

Quite exciting though, something we hoped would happen when we bought them.

Claire

Hi Mandi,
Nice Beardies! Welcome to the forum. We also have a male and a female, Claude and Matilda!
Claire :)

Faithfultiger

Original Poster
Thanks guys.... have to say that this forum does seem nice n friendly and certainly a lot more busy than another one I found a couple of weeks ago!

My OH was just throwing out some rubbish today and I found loads of chunks of polystyrene so comandeered them and am hoping to make a nice cave/ledge for the viv. They both love climbing and we've got a couple of fantastic logs in there for them already but nothing for them to hide under. If I ever get it made, I'll stick it up in the 'enclosures' thread, which I have been reading with great interest!!

Dunklezhan

Extreme Poster
What a beautiful couple! Love the blaze of color right along the faces and the color of the eyes. Good luck on the babies and the pitter patter of little bearded feet. :lol: Welcome to the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom