new beardie and a question :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey all! i bought a new beardie last week at a reptile show, and he/she is reallly small! his/her name is zep and i was wondering, are they generally social animals? do they like to have other beardies around? or do they not mind being alone? also, it has a tendency to run along the front of the tank and scramble along the glass like its trying to escape. does this mean its unhappy at all? i would just hate to not be providing something i should be! is there anything i can provide it for 'fun' or is basking their activity of choice? thanks for any answers you can give :)

jaws_of_life

Juvie Member
they are just as diverse as himans I would say... i couldnt recommend keepin beardies together but some get along fine... they usually are very socialable and have a total mind of their own... but they can be grumpy and snippy... they are prolly one of the more diverse and sociable pets IMO

Kaida520

Juvie Member
i would wait and find out whether it is male or female to get another(the do jsut fine by themselves anyways)...becasue males can become aggresive towards one another.Its pretty common for the to run along the glass...i would put up an aquarium border around most or some of the tank...it worked for mine! :)

MandyJ

Juvie Member
Females can be housed together for the most part, but there is always the possibility of fighting or one picking on the other so it's good to have a back-up plan. I totally agree though, wait until you know if your Beardie's a boy or a girl before you get another one. They can be quite social, both with their humans and with each other. My two girls take turns eating from their dish and like to do everything together, and most of all they love teasing my male when he can see them. Drives him nutty, but it's adorable how they team up on him. :lol:

It really depends on the personality of your Beardie. Some really enjoy their personal space, others prefer to have company. And scratching on the glass is perfectly normal. Some people might think your enclosure is too small and that's why they do that, but I think they do it no matter what their enclosure is like. (Not that I recommend you keep yours in a small enclosure; they're very active and need some exercise room). They just want to get out and see what's going on, that's probably why they scratch the glass. Very curious little creatures, they are.

Some dragons will play with toys, I've heard. Although mine seem content to ride around the house on my shoulder and explore my bedroom, conquering piles of blankets and clothes, and my male loves going for car rides. Bath time is a pretty fun time for them. They love to soak in warm water, and some even like to swim. Your baby will enjoy all these things more as he gets bigger. Right now his primary activities are probably going to be eating and pooping and exploring all the cute little things he can do, like head bobbing and waving and jumping and climbing. Each dragon has their own very unique personality; you'll get to know yours soon enough. They're awesome pets as long as you take good care of them.

Have you checked out all the care sheets and such? They're a huge help getting your setup together and establishing a healthy routine. If you have any questions, we're here to help! But I'll warn you, check out those care sheets before you ask because a lot of what you need to know is already in there.

caniwasteurtime2

Original Poster
thanks for the advice! i did check out the care sheets and whatnot first to make sure my question wasn't answered there :) i have him/her in a 20L and plan on going to a 40 or 55 once it grows a bit. he's just four and a half or five inches right now; so tiny! i'll post some pictures once i have some time to hook up my camera. thanks again!

Chris

BD.org Addict
my girls spend the better part of the day digging, so once hes older you can consider putting him on sifted playsand.

of the particle substrates that poses the least risk if impactions, but @ teh age your is i'd use shelf liner till hes big enough to better handle it.

my girls live together, but i've arranged things so theres minimal competition, 2 basking spots, 2 caves, feeding goes roach for roach and the salad they studiously ignore together, so thats the only thing they share. theyre out of the tank more often than in and get exercise daily so theyre not bored and frustrated.

if i hadnt stuffed up and gotten 2 to be 'friends' i dont think i would have added another. i was jsut lucky i got lucky!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom