Nubby aka Lieutenant Dann

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. I am new to this site and for the most part new to pets without fur. I had an iguana as a kid but didn't really have anything to do with it's care and it was a jerk so I think I held it maybe 5 times but all he did was whip his tail and open his mouth. Iv been caring for a leopard gecko for the past maybe 6 months as I kinda adopted him when my BF moved in with me. I had to learn a lot very quickly. I have always loved bearded dragons and always planned to own one someday.

Well about a week or 2 ago on a trip to the pet store to get worms for the gecko I stopped to admire the beardies. But this one little guy running back and forth across the front of the tank doing his little wave at me captured my attention. So on an impulse I decided he was coming home with me. On further inspection the pet store employee found he is missing the tip of his tail (almost unnoticeable) and the tip of one of his toes on his back foot was black and probably about to fall off. So my friend called him lieutenant Dan. I knew this is common in reptiles as a result of stuck sheds and doesn't really pose any threat to their health. Well they ended up adopting him out to me under the "no givsies backsies" policy.
lmao. I picked up a 55 gallon aquarium off the curb a few months back so it was perfect. Due to his missing tail tip and toe I appropriately named him Nubby! I'm still working on setting up the 55 gallon so for a couple weeks he will be in a smaller enclosure but since he's only about a month old I have some time.
111705-5946403397.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Welcome Nubby -- the 55 gallon tank will be good for him please make sure your lighting is correct - NO coils for UVB --- No colored bulbs and basking temps should be 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- if you need more help w/ anything please ask --
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Reptile-Ceramic-Leopard-Bearded/dp/B084VJJWTV?pf_rd_r=R0HNPKXJ2ZARWAT5MPAH&pf_rd_p=c5b6893a-24f2-4a59-9d4b-aff5065c90ec&pd_rd_r=0173f98f-f39b-4d44-9f76-6ae4d88c419b&pd_rd_w=AuGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
dish for insects / salads - works great for BSFL order large great staple feeder for babies DO NOT DUST
www.symtonbsf.com feed as many as you want they are a great staple feeder add to the tops of his salads feed as many as you want --
www.dubiaroaches.com great staple insect and work great in the bowl - dust them 5 x per week w/ calcium D3 ONCE per feeding vitamins w / beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per feeding lightly coated

Bsbl1991

SavageSiren11":83hw8zim said:
Hello. I am new to this site and for the most part new to pets without fur. I had an iguana as a kid but didn't really have anything to do with it's care and it was a ***** so I think I held it maybe 5 times but all he did was whip his tail and open his mouth. Iv been caring for a leopard gecko for the past maybe 6 months as I kinda adopted him when my BF moved in with me. I had to learn a lot very quickly. I have always loved bearded dragons and always planned to own one someday.

Well about a week or 2 ago on a trip to the pet store to get worms for the gecko I stopped to admire the beardies. But this one little guy running back and forth across the front of the tank doing his little wave at me captured my attention. So on an impulse I decided he was coming home with me. On further inspection the pet store employee found he is missing the tip of his tail (almost unnoticeable) and the tip of one of his toes on his back foot was black and probably about to fall off. So my friend called him lieutenant Dan. I knew this is common in reptiles as a result of stuck sheds and doesn't really pose any threat to their health. Well they ended up adopting him out to me under the "no givsies backsies" policy.
lmao. I picked up a 55 gallon aquarium off the curb a few months back so it was perfect. Due to his missing tail tip and toe I appropriately named him Nubby! I'm still working on setting up the 55 gallon so for a couple weeks he will be in a smaller enclosure but since he's only about a month old I have some time.
111705-5946403397.jpg

That's a really cute name! The 55g tank will be find for now but it really does not have enough surface area for an adult dragon. They are too slim and a lot of times too high to get basking temps high enough and the UVB close enough. A 40 gallon breeder is usually the minimum size required to give them all the space they need.

SavageSiren11

Original Poster
I am building a 3d background into the 55 gallon so he will have plenty of shelves and ramps and access to the vertical space within the tank not just the floor of the cage so getting close to the lights wont be en issue. With that being said I am getting a t5 uvb to sit on top of the screen lid. What would be the ideal distance from that light for me to place the highest shelf?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Depending on the screen -- for it to sit on top of it the screen it MUST be a wide hole type - fine mesh screen the UVB needs to be inside the tank ----distance for a wide hole 8-10 inches w/ basking decor directly underneath --- inside the tank 12-15 inches basking decor directly underneath

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom