New Beardy Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had our beardy Cleo for about a week. I just bought a Reptisun T.5 10.0 fixture and bulb. I'm wondering how far away her basking area should be away from the bulb through a screen. I was trying to attach a picture of her enclosure, but was having trouble. I'm a first time beardy owner just trying to get some advice.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What kind of screen for it to be on top it MUST be a wide hole type --- other wise it needs to be inside the tank - the screen will block 30% of those rays ---- so for a fine mesh inside the tank distance 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor -
for a wide hole type on top w/ a distance of 8-10 inches directly above the basking decor piece ---
PLEASE NO sand No colored bulbs No heat rocks or mats --- Basking temps 105-110 for a baby and temps need to be taken w/a digital probe thermometer NO stick ons they are inaccurate --
Here are some things to use to hang the fixture
3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire –long plastic zip ties-- fishing line - potted plant wire hangers -- or this stuff I use it it works great its like a Velcro strap cut into strips wrap around the fixture https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-15-ft-Cable-Ties-Hook-and-Loop-Spool-Black-10375/304220195

CleoDaddySmitty

Original Poster
If I knew how to post pictures I could post pictures of her whole setup she's going through some shed right now too. I have her 150w heat bulb and the 36" uvb reptisun T5 10.0 on top of the wire mesh. I have her on repticarpet substrate lights out at night. No colored lights in her inclosure at all! I can't put the 36" uvb fixture inside her tank, because the fixture is just barely longer than her "36inch 40 gallon tank. I was told she's a juvenile orange citrus female when I bought her.

CleoDaddySmitty

Original Poster
I hope the pictures posted. That's her on an xl hammock. Please give me some tips and pointers! I posted pictures of her lights. The double dome only had a 150w Repti Basking Spot lamp from zoo med in it.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok the screen looks like its a wide hole type --- make sure the distance is 8-10 inches from the basking decor piece -- when you get tired of cleaning the carpet you might want to look into getting some textured NON adhesive shelf liner --cut it to the size of your tank insects cannot get underneath-- Walmart or you local home improvement store --- clean w/ vinegar / water 50-50 --- the stick ons are only good for ambient that includes the digital -- you want one w/ a probe like a Zoo Med from petco or Petsmart --- the probe needs to go on the hammock where she sits for basking that is going to give you actual basking temps -- when you decide to upgrade the tank the UVB will go right into the next tank -- we recommend a 75-120 gallon tank --- and if shes not using the water dish I would take it out --- more floor space they get most of their hydration from their salads -- rinse the greens before serving -- also I recommend getting a digital probe hygrometer as well -- place on the back center wall of the tank it will read your whole tank - optimal humidity 20-50% nothing under 20 and nothing over 70%

CleoDaddySmitty

Original Poster
That digital one has 2 probes that come off of it. One is thermometer the other probe hydrometer. I'm trying to do my best for her. She's eating mostly dubia, some crickets, kale, and a couple pieces of banana as a treat. She loves to bathe in the bowl, so I change the bowl daily with reptisafe.

CleoDaddySmitty

Original Poster
I also remove her and feed her in a Tupperware when using live insects to prevent any stray roaches or crickets getting lost.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok you can use regular tap water if you can drink it--- sounds good - I will get a nutrition website posted for you

CleoDaddySmitty

Original Poster
I've read places that infrared isn't a color that beardy's can see. I'm a new beardy owner should I install one to keep my beardy from going into brumation, or let nature run its course when it eventually happens? Right now I'm running a 36" reptisun T5 10.0 and zoo med 150w basking during the day. Please give me any info. She's going through her first shed with me. I bathed her for roughly 5-10 mins today to help with her shedding, and haven't been handling her much the past couple days since she started. Thanks everyone!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Those two lights are all you need unless you want to add extra lighting in the tank - you can use a LED household bulb if you like- you don't need to do anything for brumation- - depending on the dragon some will sleep for months-- mine only will.go down for like a week or so never have they gone into deep brumation- sleeping for months--

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom