New owner!! Meet Gemini!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferdy0824

111627-2276298940.jpg
Hey guys! I am a new bearded dragon momma! My poor beardie was actually found OUTSIDE in a breezeway at my apartment complex. A lady let him go( well I’m not sure if it’s a boy or a girl yet, I just say him ) all because he was her boyfriends and they had just broken up! Sickening. But he’s okay now:). I am on here to learn how to better take of him because honestly I need help! My friend who found him gave me wrong information on how to correctly take care of him. So my beardie has had a tough start! But He is still young.. idk how old fore sure but he’s little so we are going to start over for him. I want to know what a baby can eat, how much and how often. I have read I need to feed him 4 times a day… well that may be difficult seeing I work during the day. Do I start with veggies now? I found a site to order crickets from since pets stores have a 40 cricket limit here ( ridiculous!!) Also, I walk into pets mart or petco and there tons of pre packaged food on the shelf. Is that decent to feed them? My guess is fresh is better. Any advice is welcomed! But anyway I guess I should take a look around! Glad to have found this forum!! I don’t know if my pictures of my beardie posted or not!! Yeah I could only get the one of him sleeping to post

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok so lets start by saying welcome to beardie world and its wonderful you took him in --- people can be so cruel ---- we will start w/ the most important thing in the tank the lighting -- you need a bright white basking bulb that will keep temps 105-110 and it MUST be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer
https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/environmental-control-and-lighting/zoo-med-reptile-terrarium-digital-thermometer-14914.html?cgid=500202
To me he looks about 3-4 months old thats a guess
Next please get this for a UVB**** NO COILS*** you want a 24" fixture for a 40+ gallon tank
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/arcadia-prot5-uvb-kit.html get the 12% bulb
or a 24" fixture Zoo Med https://www.amazon.com/Reptisun-T5-Ho-Terrarium-Hood/dp/B00CX5HXI2/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=24+uvb+reptisun+reptile+light+fixture&qid=1626305699&sr=8-5 this will come w/ a 5.0 bulb you want a Reptisun 10.0 bulb T 5 --
I would recommend getting dubia roaches from here they are a lot easier to care for and better nutritional wise http://www.dubiaroaches.com use this discount code JULY42021 --
you need to dust his insects w/ calcium D3 5 x per week ONCE per feeding and w/ vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per feeding -- dust the insects do not feed insects bigger than the space between his eyes length wise -- offer the salads first thing in the morning w/ the BSFL feed as many as you want they are a great staple feeder for babies - then feed you insects about a hr later feed as many as he will eat in a 10-15 minute time frame - he needs to be started on salads now
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
I would order some BSFL order large http://www.symptonbsf.com DO NOT DUST THEM-- they are loaded w/ calcium and they make great salad toppers
you will need a dish like this to keep them in https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Reptile-Ceramic-Leopard-Bearded/dp/B084VJJWTV?pf_rd_r=R0HNPKXJ2ZARWAT5MPAH&pf_rd_p=c5b6893a-24f2-4a59-9d4b-aff5065c90ec&pd_rd_r=0173f98f-f39b-4d44-9f76-6ae4d88c419b&pd_rd_w=AuGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_h
NO SAND NO COLORED BULBS NO HEAT MATS OR ROCKS --- DO NOT LISTEN to the petstore people they will sell you stuff you do not need and more often give bad advice
the things I have posted are crucial to the dragons health and over all behavior --- please ask more questions

Ferdy0824

Original Poster
Wow so you are awesome!! Okay so he is ready to upgrade to 40 gallon enclosure?? And I have the calcium and I ordered him herptivite ( which I think is a vitamin? ) as well. My friend had a dail thermometer and I am at the store now buying digital. Thanks for the Dubai roach site!!! I was trying to find one with no luck. I do have a question about humidity. I have seen it mentioned a few places and then some places it’s not mentioned at all?? So I’m just curious at how important it is. And what is BSFL?? The website for that would not load Bought him collard greens, a green bell pepper, and apple. I will check site to see how acceptable that is. I am sure more questions will come to mind as I got! I appreciate all the advice!! Edit— so I just got home and he did not touch any of the greens in there. That is worrying me a bit !!???

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
https://symtonbsf.com/
I recommend getting a digital probe hygrometer- place on the back center wall- humidity should be between 20-50 is optimal- you don't want it below 20 or above 70%-- when you get the UVB please let me know what you got and the bulb the T 5 and 12% bulb have the same distance requirements- screen plays a role as placement

Ferdy0824

Original Poster
OK it seems that the humidity has settled around 45% and I’m guessing I need to upgrade to a 40 gallon tank and get the light at the same time and also how often does he eat those on the fly larvae? Daily just like the roaches? Could he possibly just not like greens? I put some apple in there too and he did not touch it. Maybe still getting used to his surroundings?I will let you know when I get when I get the lighting

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes the UVB is priority- what size tank is he in now-- yes the BSFL are a great staple feeder--- put those on top of his salads in front of him-- he's going thru relocation stress so his eating will be off but he should be eating something- the basking temps and UVB are going to control that eating so it imperative that you get that situated first- the basking temps start digestion and the UVB helps him absorb the calcium your using w/ out it he will get sick-- and the biggest concern is mbd- muscular bone disease along w/ many other health issues down to the skin/ scales

Ferdy0824

Original Poster
He is in a 20 gallon tank. Aw and yes. I can really tell he is stressed because he is hiding Poor thing. I think i have tried to do too much too soon with him. I will back off. And oh!! I will get a light for his size tank now !

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Get the 24" Zoo Med it will come w/ a 5.0 bulb use that on the 20 gallon tank -- place it width wise on the tank w/ the screen butted up to it - get a piece of decor and set it directly under the UVB aprrox 6-8 inches under it ---- DO NOT get a Zilla or Thrive brand they are NO good --- post a pic of the tank when you get it set up ----

Ferdy0824

Original Poster
Will. that one be okay for the 40 gallon tank as well?? And can it be any decor? Like a rock? Or should it be Shrubby? It’s ordered! Won’t be here until Monday though..

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
In the meantime take him out for about 15 minutes / day if the weather is 65 + degrees--- I would put him in a plastic tote NO GLASS supervise him -- do not leave him alone especially if its really hot there - place him in direct sunlight / partial shade do this every day till you get the UVB--- 15 minutes in the sun will give him approx 4 hrs of UVB --- it will be good for him -- decor is what every you want it to be I use a piece of decor that came from Petsmart it offers gradient heat temps--- looks like this
https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/habitats-and-decor/habitat-decor/thrive-driftwood-reptile-decor-54734.html?cgid=500116 lay the stick part on the floor of the tank w/ the big thick trunk part under the basking lamp --- watch how he will utilize it -- when it comes let me know and I will help you get it placed on the tank --- how is he doing? Please post another pic of him

Ferdy0824

Original Poster
Okay I will start doing that! Gets plenty hot and humid here I will have to buy him a tote. And I got one similar ! But I think I like the one that you just showed me better because it’s smoother than the one I got. When I got seems pretty rough and that’s why I haven’t disinfected it and put it in yet
111627-2488367111.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom