Meet Nova!

Status
Not open for further replies.

reptilemaster

Sub-Adult Member
Hello, I decided to get a new baby bearded dragon!
DSC00054.jpg

He's so little!
DSC00055.jpg

I'm not sure if he's weeks or days old!
DSC00058.jpg

So the little guy was the biggest one there and also fairly active and alert. One of the others was really hyper, I touched it and it started jumping all over!
I got him yesterday in the evening. Once home he sat motionless on the basking spot for almost an hour, then ran all over!
I gave him some soaked bearded dragon bites and he seems to like them.
Today he ate some clover and a bunch of tiny crickets. I was going to put some more in later.
Right now he's just laying on his log.
So how does he look to you? He seems kinda thin, but I'm hopping to fatten him up with all the crickets and when my order of solder fly larva arrives.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
He looks good -- you want him on a balanced diet tho- fresh salads a staple feeder and some worms- are you using a good UVB? NO coils --- you want a tube fixture --- good basking temps of 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer

reptilemaster

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":p55xoun0 said:
He looks good -- you want him on a balanced diet tho- fresh salads a staple feeder and some worms- are you using a good UVB? NO coils --- you want a tube fixture --- good basking temps of 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer

Hi, thanks.
I'll be trying some different food for him, going to see if he likes cut up basil leaves and such.
Also I have tube uv light that I replace every few months.
I've got a 150 watt clear heat light, although he only basks for a few minutes before going ro what seems to be his favorite spot

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Your tube UVB what is it a T 8 or a T 5 ? This is crucial for the health of your dragon---- and make sure your basking spot is 105-110 NO hotter --- that temp needs to be taken w/a digital probe thermometer -- if hes only basking for a few minutes that tells me it may be too hot -- he should be basking for hours not minutes -- the probe needs to be set where he sits for basking leave for 10 minutes then get the temp -- the UVB and basking temps are the TWO MOST important things in that tank -- they will control the over all health and behavior of your dragon

reptilemaster

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Its a t8.
I don't have a digital probe, I'll see about getting one.
Little guy seems to still be setting into his new home, its the first time he's been without other dragons and also moved twice in one weak.
Maybe that has something to do with it? Right he's in his basking spot looking around.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The T 8 is a thrive bulb? Does the fixture have a reflector in it? This is EXTREMELY important! The digital probe thermometer is a MUST! I would get two one for the cool side of the tank

reptilemaster

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I've never heard of a thrive bulb before, mine is a long tube and yeah has a reflector and nothing covering the tube.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What brand is the UVB bulb? The T 8 needs to be inside the tank w/ no clear plastic cover over the bulb-- placement and distance is crucial for the UVB rays to be effective- distance 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor

reptilemaster

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
It's a Zilla light. Its just about 7 inches from the basking spot.
Its inside the tank with no mesh or plastic covering it.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok please swap the bulb out for a Reptisun 10.0 T 8 it's a way better bulb-- how big is the tank?

reptilemaster

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Ok, I'll see about getting one then.
Its a big tank 40 gallons, I've had it for a while for my previous dragons

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok if you ever upgrade to a bigger tank for Nova your going to want to upgrade the T 8 as well to a fixture of 24" or so --- they are good for 75-120 gallon tanks -- make sure there is NO clear plastic cover over the UVB bulb leave it off if its on when you switch out the bulb-- it does need to come off if you have not already taken it off -- and it needs to be inside your tank w/ a distance of 6-8 inches directly above your basking decor --- this is MUST for the T 8's they are not strong enough to go thru the screen -- if you need things to hang the UVB w/ let me know I will post some for you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom