hello everybody!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbbeauchamp

Hey everyone!

I'm Parker and my very first dragon is supposed to be getting here on Tuesday, and I am so excited to meet her. In the meantime, I have been doing my very very best to get everything in her tank set up for her to come home. I have been doing research and looking into dragons as pets for most of a year before I actually decided to finally pull the trigger and get one of my very own, but now that I'm so close to her being here, I am so nervous that I'm forgetting something!

I have a pretty big tank for her (it's 48x18x18) so I have plenty of room for her to grow into. According to the breeder I got her from, she is six/seven months old and supposed to be at least 11 inches long (which I wanted because I was scared to take care of a baby baby). I have her UVB light, and two heat lamps to make sure she has enough warm space in there and they are on a timer which I have tested for the past few days. I am picking up some worms and leafy stuff for her tomorrow so it's nice and fresh for her when she gets here on Tuesday. I have lizard carpet stuff on the bottom, a little hidey hole for her to go in, I have a basking rock for her, and I have also ordered her a little hammock which should be here in a week or two since it's being custom made.

I am so excited but also very nervous because I've always had dogs and had a hedgehog previously, and I love them all, but they are very different from a dragon so this feels like entirely new territory I'm in. There is so much conflicting information out there on the internet and I just want to be a good dragon parent! (feed crickets/don't feed crickets! here's sand/don't use sand! leashes are cute and let them explore places safely/never use a leash you cruel mean person! etc etc)

Anyway this got kinda long but here I am, happy to meet you all, and if anybody has any last minute tips for me before my baby gets here I am all ears!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Welcome to the forum - glad you did your research but I haft to ask what uvb are you using? Please no coils! As far as basking lights you only need one- you need to have temps 95-100 for a juvenile- taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- stick ons are inaccurate-- the basking temps and UVB are the TWO MOST IMPORTANT things in the tank

pbbeauchamp

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3odoooqf said:
Welcome to the forum - glad you did your research but I haft to ask what uvb are you using? Please no coils! As far as basking lights you only need one- you need to have temps 95-100 for a juvenile- taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- stick ons are inaccurate-- the basking temps and UVB are the TWO MOST IMPORTANT things in the tank

no coils! i have a reptisun 10.0 T5 HO in a sunblaster fixture thingy i have attached to the top of her tank (under the mesh because I read it doesn't go through stuff very well). I got a two pack of basking lights because i wasn't sure if I needed more since the tank is kinda big, but I can definitely just not use one! :) I do not have stick on thermometer things, just a little hand-held gun thing, but I can get something else if that would be better!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The T 5 is a great bulb please make sure the basking decor is directly underneath w/ a distance of 12-15 inches --- yes I would recommend getting the digital probe thermometer- they are the most accurate sometimes IR guns do not read off of certain materials basking stuff is made out of so having the probe will give you a more accurate reading - example hammocks -- you can have the stickons but they are going to give a ambient temp - I use all 3 of the gauges --- but rely mostly on my digital probe- did you get a hygrometer for humidity - I recommend a digital one w/ probe as well - place the probe on the back center wall of the tank it will give humidity level of the whole tank - optimal reading is 30-40% it can go lower to 20% but you do not want it above 70%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom