I'm kinda new...I have 3 frillies and 2 beardies

Status
Not open for further replies.

wendysn63

Hatchling Member
My husband has been on before with questions about our FD's which has proven very helpful from everyone here. I have recently brought a new baby beardie home (Hermes) and we have recently taken in an older beardie (Atlas). Atlas I'm told is about 2yrs. We took him in because a friend said that a relative wanted to get rid of him. We believe he wasn't cared for properly because they were somewhat reptile illiterate. The poor thing didn't have any light source, he had one of those heat rocks for heat, and was only being fed pellets and crickets. He was in a ten gallon tank, and we are worried for his health. He might be in jeopardy of MBD though he doesn't show obvious physical signs of such. He has stuck shed badly in some spots and he is missing toe tips on both front feet. He is very active. He likes his veggies and the critters we feed him. I/we feel like he is somewhat a rescue. One thing though we have noticed he has a constant black beard very dark at times and light at others. Any feed back is gratly appreciated.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
First I hope you got him into a bigger tank -- a 40 at minimum but a 75-120 gallon would be better and more optimal size --- next he needs a good UVB which is a tube fixture / hood--- a 24" w/ reflector like a Zoo Med for a 40 + gallon tank w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb --- this and a bright white basking bulb that keeps temps 95-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermomter --- and your not housing the baby and older one together I hope

We do not keep any of them together. We have all of the lights mentioned. We are currently looking for a bigger house for him. Right now we have a 4' x 2' x 2'.
I'm will post a couple of pics next

wendysn63

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
110610-2768734056.jpg
110610-3123854799.jpg
110610-9434482655.jpg
Okay I have been trying to load the recent pictures since we have been working with Atlas...
110610-1519728811.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He actually looks to be in pretty good shape based on what I see in the photos. That's encouraging. He is a good size and his arms & legs are well developed. Given some time under good lighting and adjusting to a healthy diet his black beard may lessen as he settles in. I'd work on giving him a good routine and see how he takes to it over the next few months.

wendysn63

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks cooper, I value your opinion because you have given us great info on our other babies. Atlas had a lot more stuck shed on his body and face but we've been careful and meticulous in soaking him and helping him. We've removed a sperm plug for him, some of the shedding came off his face and from his nose and ears. We'll keep in touch for sure.

wendysn63

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
We would like to thank kerriree also for the tank size for him too. We are certainly looking for a good deal. The light set up we have comes from everyone on this site as well and that's why we knew the little guy needed our attention. By the way, should he have a certain feeding schedule? We're feeding the baby small amounts 3times a day. The frillies are very finicky so they've set their own routine.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
With an adult dragon I suggest offering a nice big salad every day. I usually try to offer 2-3 items from this list, rotating depending on what is fresh at the store and what established favorites are http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html I offer a bug meal once or twice per week, but that may vary for you at first depending on what he is used to. It may take some time to ease into a schedule of eating more veges and that's OK.

wendysn63

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
okay so...Atlas is doing a lot better these days. We have finally gotten the stuck shed off. He has certainly gained more weight. We love that he and the baby beardie love their veggies.
The only concern at this point is... Will Atlas never have any claws on the fot you see in the earlier pic I have posted here?

wendysn63

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Sorry that should have said foot. but I also forgot to ask if we should worry about the other feet. I have clipped his claws a little but I am reluctant because I don't want to cut too much and/or hurt him. We have gained a lot of trust so far and I think he is starting to get a little spoiled.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The healed over toe won't produce a new claw. That's OK though. Since it has healed it shouldn't pose a problem. I wouldn't worry about the other feet if there isn't any trauma. Clipping the sharp bit at the end of their nail is OK and doesn't hurt them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom