Hi all! New bearded dragon father here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mightaswell

Hello,
I'm new to bearded dragons. I'm finishing a 4x2x2 enclosure and came here for advice on bioactive enclosures lighting advice. I understand that I need basking and uvb 10.0 strip lights for the dragon. I'm more concerned about extra light for the plants in choosing, but I'll start a thread on that specific question.
I feed my dragon crickets 3x a day in a plastic bin outside the enclosure. I also give salads but it doesnt appear to eat much of them.
My 4x2x2 enclosure is birch plywood with a sliding door front. The sliding door itself is framed in with 1x3 and 1x2 kiln dried pine. I tried using as much hardwood as I can but I couldn't find birch for the 1x3 and 1x2. I sanded well with 80 grit sand paper. All inside walls and door frame are polyurethane. I put 3 coats of 3x polyurethane(varathane triple thick polyurethane water based interior)inside sanding gently between coats. I waited a full 24hrs between coats because I wanted it to dry right. I used 2 quarts inside. I'm giving it time to finish drying tho. So hopefully monday it will be cured fully. Its not sticky or anything. I can touch it and not leave prints but manufacture label says allow 5 days to cure before using.
I was planning on doing a 50/50 play sand/ organic potting soil bioactive substrate and lining the walls with spineless prickly pear cactus and putting in a mulberry tree and pruning like bonsai.
Well that's about me.

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Welcome! I hope you share photos once the enclosure is done

You should look into Arcadia brand for the lighting. They have T5 12% high output UVB good for bearded dragons. And something they call the Jungle Dawn LED bar. The LED would be good for plants. Get them together and they plug in together so only one electrical socket is used. I use the Arcadia UVB, haven't personally tested the LED bar, but that would be my choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom