New adult rescue bearded dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayleehobbs

I just brought an older rescue bearded dragon home. I am looking for any advice on bonding with him and making him feel safe and happy.

I do not know a lot about his past. I know that he was taken in as a rescue originally by a woman that had him for a few years and she does not know how old he is. She recently got separated from her husband and he was with him for about a month and definitely neglected. She found his with mouth rot, which is starting to heal.

I just got him home tonight and he is definitely stressed out, which I expected with a car drive, being moved around, and being in a new place. He has stayed flattened out. I’m also worried he’s too thin.

110416-2633972359.jpg

He came with a cage and it definitely needs cleaning. But I don’t want to stress him out too much right away. I want to know the most gentle way to do this.

I am also wondering about the best way to give him a bath while he is still adjusting and scared.

I am making him a vet appointment first thing in the morning.

I just want to give him a good life. So any advice is much appreciated

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. Poor guy glad you rescued him. Can you go over his setup? Lights used? Brands? How big is the enclosure? How do you take the temps? What are they? He definitely has MBD. Doesn't look to bad, but definitely on the thin side. What did the vet say?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
He looks dehydrated --- please offer him water - is he eating? You can rinse his salads before serving and that will give him moisture --- please go over his UVB and basking temps NO stick ons and NO coils for UVB ---- hes going to need some real TLC to bring him back and the first thing is starting w/ his UVB and basking temps they are the most important thing in the tank ---
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder -he needs a good staple insect as well I recommend dubia roaches

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree that he looks a bit stressed out and possibly dehydrated. I would focus on getting him hydrated by dripping water on his nose to lick up. I would also pick up some MaxiGuard gel so you can clean the area that is infected along the front of his mouth. Keeping that clean and allowing it to heal will likely make him feel much better and get him more likely to eat.

It's also important that his enclosure is sanitary and the lighting is correct. I would take him out and put him onto a nice soft blanket (in a box if you want, but not really needed if he isn't moving around much). Once he is comfortable you can go about cleaning and sanitizing his enclosure. Once that's done you can work through the equipment he came with and adjust temps, set up proper UVB etc.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor old thing, I hope he makes it. You can get some raw unpasteurized honey for his mouth. Mix it with a tiny bit of lukewarm water and offer some to drink as well as to coat his mouth. Raw honey is a great wound healer. Like Cooper mentioned hydration is important so offer the drinks a few times a day if he'll take it. If you have any freshly shed insects [ so they're very soft ] you can offer 1-2 at a time. Ask the vet for Critical Care formula supplement for him too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom