no action when entering cage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brown2353

Hello everyone just bought a beardie last friday it's now the Wednesday before thanksgiving, I have given my beardie two baths already .. as well as upgraded it's tank. My question is first when I pet my beardie it sometimes keeps it's eyes open is that a good or bad sign when petting it? it also lays flat on me and I think now starting to watch and gaze at me more, every few minutes I walk to the cage and speak to it and sometimes take it out to pet it, it actually never trips I got it from the pet shop so I've been watching the temps and reading every every day on lighting .. when walking to the cage I speak in the tone since I've bought it and when bathing and it sometimes seems to close it's eyes and while speaking to it at it's cage . I've had it on my leg while working from home and it seems as if it was knocked out with limit to no touching it i think that was the second day. I know I know i'm suppose to wait 7 days sorry didn't do that lol :( I have notice under the belly it will be all white then the pattern always like a gray and white pattern will show what does that mean? also when i talk to it and get to it's level always making sure i angle in a way it can see and understand me it seems like it closes it's eyes, while I speak ,, I have only seen signs when stroking not talking through glass to it. can ANYONE HELP!!! the temps seem to be great am I on the right track??

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It sounds like you're doing a great job so far. The behavior you're describing sounds like he is relaxed and comfortable around you. Being gentile and taking time to talk to him when you're near the cage probably helps with that. When they press flat on you it often means you are warm and they like it. The pattern you see on his belly is common in young dragons and will fade a bit as he gets older. The darkening/lightening is often related to trying to warm up (darken) or maintain temp or cool off (lighten). Sometimes it can indicate mood, but that color change is more often indicated by beard color. A very very dark black beard can mean irritation or distress. A bright colored beard often means happy/content.

If you'd like me to review your setup I'd be glad to do so. I can offer suggestions to make everything as good as possible for your new buddy. If you want to post photos, you can upload them here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to your thread using the XIMG button when you reply.

Brown2353

Original Poster
109856-7512561083.jpg
Hi Cooperdragon thanks for responding it shows I uploaded my picture of my set up. I am getting a longer strip light but not coming til Monday . I also have a digital monitor and the wall once’s they seem to run on the same temp.. my beardie ha been drinking from me trying everyday but I do give it it’s spec sometimes lol.. I’m glad he or she has.. I seen that one following me at petco and went back the next day to get it.. first day in the car it laid for and fell asleep . Next day it chilled for spooked maybe ran off but just Ben holding my beardie. Trying o bath is Monday we’d and Friday .. heat success I even drop water on it from its tube feeding water when bathing it .. the small bakery tube you use in caked or sometimes you see in strawberries ?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That looks like a nice setup. Similar enclosure to the one I have. It's good that you are getting a new UVB light for it. You'll want to use a nice strong T5 tube. Either the 24'' or 36'' version should work well. You'll want to put it right next to the basking light over the main basking area (either the habba hut or the driftwood stick) so it sits about 10-12'' above it. You may want to get an additional piece to climb on in order to provide access higher up and closer to the lights. Another driftwood piece or some grapewood or something along those lines would work. For now, I'd just move the UVB fixture over next to the basking light so they're both shining down over the basking site together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matthewsalecia2015
Top Bottom